Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was Tomlin a forced hire from the league? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

escobar

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 25, 2007, 01:32:36 AM

The only way I'll buy this rumor is if the Steelers don't implement the cover 2 as their D. He is obviously a defensive minded coach, so if they stick with their current scheme I will think something is up.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 25, 2007, 07:27:24 AM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 25, 2007, 07:52:42 AM

I heard on the radio today that the Rooney's got a phone call from Dungy on Saturday urging them to hire Tomlin. I'd hate for these types of rumors to taint Tomlin's accomplishment.

my thoughts exactly.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 25, 2007, 08:11:41 AM

What's wrong with someone giving you a "Great" reference...has anyone been hired to a high profile job without one?  This is so booty...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#19 : January 25, 2007, 08:20:27 AM

I can confrim this is true! This afternoon the Steelers will anounce that I am going to be their waterboy.  I know a guy at NFL HQ and he told me that he made the Steelers take me as their waterboy.  If they can be forced to take me as a waterboy, you can bet they were forced to take Tomlin.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 25, 2007, 08:53:26 AM

What's wrong with someone giving you a "Great" reference...has anyone been hired to a high profile job without one?  This is so booty...

The Dungy thing is just that, a reference from a  guy who used to be in the PIT organization unless someone thinks Tony called up all Al Sharpton style talking about No Tomlin = No Peace.

As for the league rumor I can't see the league calling up any team and saying "Pssst, hire the black guy" the only "reason" this has any legs is that the "Rooney Rule" is named after a guy in PIT whihc, as you think about it, makes no sense. More than anything there might have been an organizational split on who to hire (god knows we've never seen that happen here before).

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 25, 2007, 09:00:35 AM

I heard on the radio today that the Rooney's got a phone call from Dungy on Saturday urging them to hire Tomlin. I'd hate for these types of rumors to taint Tomlin's accomplishment.
Yes, this is the rumor as it was related by PFT on Deumigs show, that possibly Dungy put in a strong recommendation for Tomlin.  Not that there was anything "forced" as the title of this thread says.

So Keep, where are you getting the "forced hire" theory?  Because that word was never used or implied by PFT. 

goto11

Starter
#22 : January 25, 2007, 09:24:51 AM

The last person that needs to be coached in hiring minority coaches is Dan Rooney.  The only thing that struck me as a little weird is Tomlin's obvious preference for the 4-3, which he will not implement in Pittsburgh.  But honestly, out of all the rumored coaching candidates out there, I really think Tomlin was the best one.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 25, 2007, 09:27:12 AM

The last person that needs to be coached in hiring minority coaches is Dan Rooney.  The only thing that struck me as a little weird is Tomlin's obvious preference for the 4-3, which he will not implement in Pittsburgh.  But honestly, out of all the rumored coaching candidates out there, I really think Tomlin was the best one.

Parcells is a 3-4 guy and he lived with the 4-3 for a year while he made the transition. Tomlin has to know he doesn't have the guys for the 4-3 so if he drops it in this year he's gonna get blown away. I suspect you see some guys signed and drafted there that don't fit the old model to get ready for the new model.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 25, 2007, 09:46:27 AM

Yes, this is the rumor as it was related by PFT on Deumigs show, that possibly Dungy put in a strong recommendation for Tomlin. Not that there was anything "forced" as the title of this thread says.

So Keep, where are you getting the "forced hire" theory? Because that word was never used or implied by PFT.

That's the feeling I came away with after reading the article. Let me say that I don't agree with it, just got that feeling

coolhandluke

Starter

#25 : January 25, 2007, 10:05:51 AM

Tomlin was not forced on the Steelers

Jesse Jackson

#26 : January 25, 2007, 10:12:34 AM

I agree that Tony was a great reference.... but the insinuation was that it was pressured type of phone call. IMO, it sux that this is even being brought up.

BucfaninDC

Starter

#27 : January 25, 2007, 10:21:16 AM

I think Tomlin was an outstanding choice, but did anyone actually think that the Steelers WOULDN'T hire a minority candidate.  It's called the "Rooney Rule".   And I don't mean Mickey Rooney either.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 25, 2007, 10:23:28 AM

IMO, it sux that this is even being brought up.

I agree.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#29 : January 25, 2007, 10:38:12 AM

I think this is the best point from the thread. The Steelers have a relatively young D that is among the league's best. Mike Tomlin's very clearly a cover-2 guys. furthermore, he's a guy that prefers the exact kind of DB's the Steelers don't have. Considering this is a team severely lacking on offense, it would take them years to build a cover-2 from their personnel and it would involve totally ignoring the offensive side of the football.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was Tomlin a forced hire from the league? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools