Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was Tomlin a forced hire from the league? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 25, 2007, 10:59:59 AM

I think this is the best point from the thread. The Steelers have a relatively young D that is among the league's best. Mike Tomlin's very clearly a cover-2 guys. furthermore, he's a guy that prefers the exact kind of DB's the Steelers don't have. Considering this is a team severely lacking on offense, it would take them years to build a cover-2 from their personnel and it would involve totally ignoring the offensive side of the football.

You don't think Polamalu = Lynch? Sure he does. PIT ran zones behind that front 7 hence the name zone blitz. They are really at problems on the LB corps becuase they can make the DL and DB's work.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 25, 2007, 11:46:56 AM

I heard on the radio today that the Rooney's got a phone call from Dungy on Saturday urging them to hire Tomlin. I'd hate for these types of rumors to taint Tomlin's accomplishment.
Yes, this is the rumor as it was related by PFT on Deumigs show, that possibly Dungy put in a strong recommendation for Tomlin. Not that there was anything "forced" as the title of this thread says.

So Keep, where are you getting the "forced hire" theory? Because that word was never used or implied by PFT. 

That's the feeling I came away with after reading the article. Let me say that I don't agree with it, just got that feeling
I think you misinterpretted what the article said then.  The PFT guy came onto Deumig's show and said that perhaps Tony Dungy called and gave a strong recommendation for Tomlin.  It wasn't about the league stepping in.  It was about some additional input by somebody that caused the Rooneys to change their mind.  Somebody like Dungy would have some respect in Pittsburg because he used to coach there and learned under Chuck Noll.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 25, 2007, 12:01:06 PM

I think you misinterpretted what the article said then. 

As the rumor goes, the Steelers offered the job to Russ Grimm, he accepted the job, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell suggested to Dan Rooney that the team should hire a minority candidate (either Tomlin or Ron Rivera), and Rooney decided to do so.

This implies that RG had a hand in the decision. Do I believe this? No, but it was an interesting take on a strange situation. 

BucsAddict

Starter

#33 : January 25, 2007, 12:01:29 PM

The idea that the league could force/coerce the Rooneys to hire someone ,they dont want or werent sold on, is pretty laughable.

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 25, 2007, 12:06:27 PM

When you are dealing with huge egos like NFL owners have. You don't tell them what to do. You suggest and give the facts sit back and freely allow the owner to make the decision.

One thing about people with money the softer the sell the greater chance of success. Oh yaeh and you allow the decision to be their idea.

original

Pro Bowler

#35 : January 25, 2007, 12:11:15 PM

Steelers were not forced to hire Tomlin, but Davis was forced to hire Kiffin.  I heard that Monte told Davis he would kick his arse if he didn't hire his son.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was Tomlin a forced hire from the league? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools