Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More Americans claim to have no religion « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

: March 10, 2009, 01:01:04 PM

My biggest problem with God is his "will". He is supposed to love humanity, but where was he for the holocaust, tsunami, black death, AIDS in Africa, etc? For someone who is supposed to love us, and is all seeing and all powerful, seems like he'd get off his thumb and put out some divine intervention once every couple thousand years.

I'm just surprised the number isn't higher.

Shhh...we can't possibly begin to understand the mind of God. To question him would be a sin...

Convenient how that works, isn't it?
Actually, to not question him would be the sin, it's what makes us different from other animals.

I've had pastors tell me the exact opposite.  Who is correct, you or them?

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 10, 2009, 07:59:57 AM

A wide-ranging study on American religious life found that the Roman Catholic population has been shifting out of the Northeast to the Southwest, the percentage of Christians in the nation has declined and more people say they have no religion at all.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iYmd8ToiQxh6WjqwGAnsk4qJ1QRQD96Q9FE00

Snook

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 10, 2009, 08:40:05 AM

Finally some good news...

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 10, 2009, 09:20:13 AM

So the USA and China are becoming more and more alike.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 10, 2009, 09:49:47 AM

Finally, this country's ignorant masses are moving more toward rational thought...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 10, 2009, 09:53:03 AM

it's moving to the southwest because of all the illegal Mexican immigrants.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 10, 2009, 10:05:31 AM

Finally, this country's ignorant masses are moving more toward rational thought...

We can only hope.

Maybe someday the arguments of who's worshiping the "correct" invisible man in the sky will cease.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 10, 2009, 10:15:20 AM

We can only hope.

Maybe someday the arguments of who's worshiping the "correct" invisible man in the sky will cease.
but then we would have noting to go to war over.  Well maybe oil.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 10, 2009, 10:37:57 AM

Or, it could be that this country's once intelligent masses are moveing more towards that of the ignorant minority. "A little philosophy inclineth a man's mind to atheism: but depth in philosophy bringeth man's mind about to relgion".

One man's rational thoughts can be anothers man's superstition.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 10, 2009, 10:44:47 AM

Or, it could be that this country's once intelligent masses are moveing more towards that of the ignorant minority. "A little philosophy inclineth a man's mind to atheism: but depth in philosophy bringeth man's mind about to relgion".

Sure, because believing in an "invisible man in the sky" (thanks Snook) that hands out judgement and redemption is somehow more intelligent than actually requiring PROOF of such events before believing...

By the way, there is a difference between ignorance and lack of intelligence.  Ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge.  (ie, the fact that you didn't know that).  In fact, recent surveys indicate that education and religion share an inverse coorelation, meaning that the more educated a person is, the less likely they are to be a "believer" in crap like this.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 10, 2009, 10:51:19 AM

Sure, because believing in an "invisible man in the sky" (thanks Snook) that hands out judgement and redemption is somehow more intelligent than actually requiring PROOF of such events before believing...

By the way, there is a difference between ignorance and lack of intelligence.  Ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge.  (ie, the fact that you didn't know that).  In fact, recent surveys indicate that education and religion share an inverse coorelation, meaning that the more educated a person is, the less likely they are to be a "believer" in crap like this.
Why do you confine your knowledge to such a ridgid set of proofs? I didn't mention anything about an invisible man, did I?

I wish I could have your arrogance, it would make thinking so much easier.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 10, 2009, 10:52:27 AM

By the way, there is a difference between ignorance and lack of intelligence.� Ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge.� (ie, the fact that you didn't know that).� In fact, recent surveys indicate that education and religion share an inverse coorelation, meaning that the more educated a person is, the less likely they are to be a "believer" in crap like this.

Well said.  

On a side note, I don't necessarily have a problem with people and their beliefs on God.

Its the structured religions and "churches" that facilitate people's tendency to judge other people soley based on those religions (or lack thereof).  

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 10, 2009, 10:55:58 AM

By the way, there is a difference between ignorance and lack of intelligence. Ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge. (ie, the fact that you didn't know that). In fact, recent surveys indicate that education and religion share an inverse coorelation, meaning that the more educated a person is, the less likely they are to be a "believer" in crap like this.
Why do you confine your knowledge to such a ridgid set of proofs? I didn't mention anything about an invisible man, did I?

I wish I could have your arrogance, it would make thinking so much easier.

Arrogance? Arrogance is assuming that your god is the ONLY god and that all non believer are evil sinners destined to burn for eternity.  I confine my knowledge to such rigid proofs, because without such evidence, it isn't knowledge.  It's theory and speculation. The major difference between the scientific approach and the true believer approach is that the scientist is at peace with stating "we don't know".  The scientist then attempts to actually find the answer.  The true believer also doesn't know the answer, so to make themselves feel more secure, they attribute the workings to some mystical being, calling it "gods will" or gods devine plan".  It's a total cop out.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 10, 2009, 10:59:43 AM

the main problem with religion is that unless there is only one worldwide faith it will continue to divide us not bring us together.  And isn't that the whole point of religion, ie: control the masses?

Snook

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 10, 2009, 11:01:29 AM

they attribute the workings to some mystical being...

And label it "faith"... then criticize others for not having it.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More Americans claim to have no religion « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools