Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More Americans claim to have no religion « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 15 16 17

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler

#240 : March 16, 2009, 09:34:30 PM

The bible claims to know gods will

Link?

At least your ignorance doesn't keep you from having such a strong opinion.

http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/isaiah/isaiah43.htm

And?

I provided a link that shows the bible claims to speak for god.   Retort, or it will be you who is proven to be ignorant.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#241 : March 16, 2009, 10:15:02 PM

Did anyone think otherwise??  Sure the Bible speaks for God!!

John 1: 1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

HINT: DARKNESS HAS NOT UNDERSTOOD IT.  For all that man claims to know, he still knows nothing.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#242 : March 16, 2009, 10:26:48 PM

I provided a link that shows the bible claims to speak for god.   Retort, or it will be you who is proven to be ignorant.

You provided no such thing.

Your link is a book from Bible written by Isaiah speaking on the Deliverance of Israel.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#243 : March 17, 2009, 10:25:50 AM

Did anyone think otherwise??  Sure the Bible speaks for God!!

John 1: 1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

HINT: DARKNESS HAS NOT UNDERSTOOD IT.  For all that man claims to know, he still knows nothing.

Just for everyone's clarification, John 1:1-5 in no way refers to me. Different John completely, no relation what so ever.

just wanted to clear that up.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#244 : March 17, 2009, 10:51:40 AM

Perhaps there is a higher power that only revels itself to those who truly believe. This higher power then empowers those people to do things in a manner that they might not normally do because of this belief. It could be for good or evil, but the power of belief is what powers them.

I am not one of those people, but it is a strange and irrational world that we live in.

Considering there is no empirical evidence that such a god exists, truly believing in him is irrational behavior. Why would god give us the abilities of logic and reason, then make us defy these abilities to worship him?

Also, why would an omnipotent being need us to worship him? Is he Vain? Does he need his ego stroked? A perfect being would not make worship of him a priority, especially a higher priority over personal conduct. Christians have Ghandi burning in hell because he worshipped the wrong god.....how does that make sense?

Maybe you just have too much Bacon in your diet.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#245 : March 17, 2009, 11:15:05 AM

I'd agree with that. Claiming to know the unknowable is arrogance. But that sword cuts both ways. Someone claiming to "know God's Will" is either deluded or a fraud. But so is someone claiming to know "for a fact" that God doesn't exist and anyone that thinks he does is a "moron"

Who here said that they "know for a fact that god doesn't exist?  Also, the rail is against religion and all the moronic beliefs that go along with it.  Being agnostic about the possibility of a super intelligence is one thing, but to believe such nonsense like the earth was created in 7 days, Humanity was fashioned from clay (woman from Man's rib), virgin birth, and that some carpenter will save your eternal soul from an evil spirt that inhabits a magical realm is moronic.  Honestly, if you take away the emotional attachment from the Christian religion and look at it rationally, one can easily see how silly it is.   I can't imagine anyone but a complete idiot actually believing this nonsense.  If you live your life based on such garbage, then you must be a moron.

As for Einstein--I could see one arguing the case that he was slightly agnostic, but only the the extent that because the possibility has not been proven false, it is still theortically possible.  Many people will try to take a minor sampling of his quotes and use them to build the case that he actually believed in some higher power.  That simply isn't true.  The lack of total denial does not equal belief.

bucsense

Practice Squad

#246 : March 17, 2009, 11:40:46 AM

We're all going to Hell......but wait.....that doesn't exist.....nor does any paradise referred to as "Heaven".........Life is Heaven...death is death.....nothing happens after that. If there is a God, he just dropped off the seeds and never looked back......I suspect he's 10-12 universes away and looking forward......

Believe as you wish......I will.
Page: 1 ... 15 16 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More Americans claim to have no religion « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools