Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More Americans claim to have no religion « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 10, 2009, 11:41:52 AM

If a person does'nt bother you or force their idealogy down your throat and does not cause trouble, who the hell is ANYONE to say who is ignorant or who is not.

Self proclaimed Atheists love to try and prove everyone's religion is wrong. That's why if someone decides to kick the living piss out of them, it is well deserved. I hate people who try and tell me or someone that they can't believe in something because their is no evidence or "proof". How do you explain things that are called "Miracles"? I don't care what a person is, as long as they keep their trap shut and stop trying to say Oh well God doesnt exsist or God will smite you if you do this, then why the hell do you people care?

Atheists just remind of the total buzzkill at a house party. They love to ruin it for others is basically what I think of them.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#31 : March 10, 2009, 11:42:25 AM

Freud argued that sex was what motivated human behavior.  I would argue it's the acquisition of power.  Sex, money, security, etc. all give one the sense of empowerment.  This paradigm is not an original thought of mine however.  I read a book called "The Path Not Taken: Reflections on Power and Fear" about 20 years ago by a psychiatrist named Alan Wheelis that really opened my eyes.

You misspelled Fred and he would the next to last one I would ask, George W. being the actual last.

Uhhh Freud is spelled correctly.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 10, 2009, 11:47:06 AM

Freud argued that sex was what motivated human behavior.  I would argue it's the acquisition of power.  Sex, money, security, etc. all give one the sense of empowerment.  This paradigm is not an original thought of mine however.  I read a book called "The Path Not Taken: Reflections on Power and Fear" about 20 years ago by a psychiatrist named Alan Wheelis that really opened my eyes.

You misspelled Fred and he would the next to last one I would ask, George W. being the actual last.

Fred is too. Did you lose your sense of humor in the rectory?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 10, 2009, 11:48:56 AM

power makes us feel secure.  makes us feel like we have control somewhat over our environment.  and that's all we really want.  Ultimate security or control over our lives isn't possible but the drive to acquire as much of this sense of empowerment is what dictates all human behavoir at it's core.  I get the sense that you would argue that we want to breed with the hottest girl because subconsciously we see her "perfect DNA" as the best breeding device.  I would argue that it is because it makes us feel the most powerful.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#34 : March 10, 2009, 11:51:39 AM

No, I lost that during y2k :(

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

Snook

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 10, 2009, 11:52:08 AM

If a person does'nt bother you or force their idealogy down your throat and does not cause trouble, who the hell is ANYONE to say who is ignorant or who is not.

Self proclaimed Atheists love to try and prove everyone's religion is wrong. That's why if someone decides to kick the living piss out of them, it is well deserved. I hate people who try and tell me or someone that they can't believe in something because their is no evidence or "proof". How do you explain things that are called "Miracles"? I don't care what a person is, as long as they keep their trap shut and stop trying to say Oh well God doesnt exsist or God will smite you if you do this, then why the hell do you people care?

Atheists just remind of the total buzzkill at a house party. They love to ruin it for others is basically what I think of them.

Who's an atheist in here?

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 10, 2009, 11:54:53 AM

but civilizations prey on the human need for security by using religion as a means to control them. In theory, we enter into a "social contract" and agree to give up much of our freedom in exchange for that security.
Yet that same social contract theory can be the blueprint for totalitarianism. Do you think that substituting scientifiv knowledge for religion is immune from the same forces that can cause people to prey on one another?
probably not.
Think Al Gore.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 10, 2009, 11:55:51 AM

Well you and Ghostrider seem to be "Non-Believers" and mock at the idea of an "invisible" man in the sky so link the pieces together and that's what it seems. Not saying you are or you aren't but Atheists in general are those people that take life way too seriously.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 10, 2009, 11:56:21 AM

We care because ignorant religious jerkoffs can't simply keep their idiocy contained to their own imaginations.  They feel the need to spread their ignorance like a freaking virus. They raise their children to believe in what isn't there, and to scorn/admonish others who do not believe as they do.  We care because we would actually like to see humanity PROGRESS beyond the thinking of primitive man.  And that can't happen as long as people still cling to these outlandish superstitions.  In many cases, science is actually being held back by the religous nut jobs (see stem cell research and creationism being taught in public school).  

We care because as people with knowledge, we feel an obligation to educate our fellow human being on how the universe ACTUALLY works, rather than bullsnot them with mystical stories.  We feel we OWE it to humanity to help share the knowledge and eliminate such ignorance.  The scientific perspective considers it only ethical to spread knowledge for the betterment of mankind.  

That's why I care.  

As far as buzzkills go, I'm sure I'm much more in the majority when I say that nothing kills a party like a freakin Jesus freak...

If you don't want your beliefs challenged or ridiculed, keep them to yourself and off of public forums.  Otherwise, anything you type is fair game...

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 10, 2009, 12:00:36 PM

Prove their isn't a God and you can change my feeling.

Nobody on this planet can prove that God exsists or does not exsist. Therefore, people who CLAIM to know what they are talking about don't.

Its a mystery that science or rational thought cannot prove.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 10, 2009, 12:01:44 PM

We care because ignorant religious jerkoffs can't simply keep their idiocy contained to their own imaginations.  They feel the need to spread their ignorance like a freaking virus. They raise their children to believe in what isn't there, and to scorn/admonish others who do not believe as they do.  We care because we would actually like to see humanity PROGRESS beyond the thinking of primitive man.  And that can't happen as long as people still cling to these outlandish superstitions.  In many cases, science is actually being held back by the religous nut jobs (see stem cell research and creationism being taught in public school).  

We care because as people with knowledge, we feel an obligation to educate our fellow human being on how the universe ACTUALLY works, rather than bullsnot them with mystical stories.  We feel we OWE it to humanity to help share the knowledge and eliminate such ignorance.  The scientific perspective considers it only ethical to spread knowledge for the betterment of mankind.  

That's why I care.  

As far as buzzkills go, I'm sure I'm much more in the majority when I say that nothing kills a party like a freakin Jesus freak...

If you don't want your beliefs challenged or ridiculed, keep them to yourself and off of public forums.  Otherwise, anything you type is fair game...
You care, hense, you educate, yet you condemn others for, how did you say it, 'jerkoffs can't contain their idiocy to their own imaginations'.

Hypocracy at its finest.  

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 10, 2009, 12:03:44 PM

Freud argued that sex was what motivated human behavior. I would argue it's the acquisition of power. Sex, money, security, etc. all give one the sense of empowerment. This paradigm is not an original thought of mine however. I read a book called "The Path Not Taken: Reflections on Power and Fear" about 20 years ago by a psychiatrist named Alan Wheelis that really opened my eyes.

power makes us feel secure.  makes us feel like we have control somewhat over our environment.  and that's all we really want.  Ultimate security or control over our lives isn't possible but the drive to acquire as much of this sense of empowerment is what dictates all human behavoir at it's core.  I get the sense that you would argue that we want to breed with the hottest girl because subconsciously we see her "perfect DNA" as the best breeding device.  I would argue that it is because it makes us feel the most powerful.

I can see where you're coming from, I just see it differently.  Does the aquisition of power come from the want to reproduce, or does the want to reproduce with the best DNA come from a need for power...kind of a chicken and egg argument.  I'll have to consider you POV more and see if there are any studies that coorelate to what you're saying.  It's intriquing to say the least.

And, THIS is what I love about science.  We may formulate theories based on evidence (rather than just make up stories), but the scientific mind is willing to abandon such beliefs in the face of data the contridicts such beliefs.  The whole goal of science is to find the real skinny.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 10, 2009, 12:06:51 PM

Well you and Ghostrider seem to be "Non-Believers" and mock at the idea of an "invisible" man in the sky so link the pieces together and that's what it seems. Not saying you are or you aren't but Atheists in general are those people that take life way too seriously.

"Taking life to seriously" is criticizing others for not believing in something that can't be proven.  And please note, that's MY opinion.  I'm not saying its correct.  Its just my opinion.

As for me, I'm not an athiest.  Look at my original comment.  I made mention of the "correct" invisible man in the sky.  I believe that something greater than us created everything we can and cannot see.  Is that labeled "agnostic" maybe?  I don't know.

Personally, I choose not to base my values and morals on a book written thousands of years ago that's been translated over and over and edited over and over.  I don't believe in structured religion.  But I understand that some people do and that's fine.  I've just had too much of it shoved down my throat.  And I see wars fought over it -- which is the most ridiculous thing of all.  People should be allowed to believe whatever they believe without criticism and respect those who don't agree.  

I'm not here to prove religion or the Bible wrong.  I just don't want people criticizing others for not living by it.  

One thing I believe is true -- Treat others how you would want to be treated.  I believe if you live simply by that, you'll be just fine.  I don't need to go to a building every week for anything additional.  But I understand that some people do need that.  And I respect that.  Just respect my lack of that need.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 10, 2009, 12:08:53 PM

is there anything more important than questioning  the reason for one's existence or trying to make sense out of the universal choas?  Most people don't take it seriously enough.  They just blindly accept what is passed down to them by their parents and society.  I'm not an atheist although my concept of god is probably different than yours.  However I am a bit of a buzzkill.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 10, 2009, 12:12:43 PM

Freud argued that sex was what motivated human behavior. I would argue it's the acquisition of power. Sex, money, security, etc. all give one the sense of empowerment. This paradigm is not an original thought of mine however. I read a book called "The Path Not Taken: Reflections on Power and Fear" about 20 years ago by a psychiatrist named Alan Wheelis that really opened my eyes.

I can see where you're coming from, I just see it differently.  Does the aquisition of power come from the want to reproduce, or does the want to reproduce with the best DNA come from a need for power...kind of a chicken and egg argument.  I'll have to consider you POV more and see if there are any studies that coorelate to what you're saying.  It's intriquing to say the least.

And, THIS is what I love about science.  We may formulate theories based on evidence (rather than just make up stories), but the scientific mind is willing to abandon such beliefs in the face of data the contridicts such beliefs. The whole goal of science is to find the real skinny.
So how do you explain that there is not a consensus on Global Warming, shouldn't all the evidence point to one conclusion. And if there is no consensus, how do you explain political policy based on such a non-consensus. Science can just as easily be corrupted as philosophy.  

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More Americans claim to have no religion « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools