Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simeon Rice = ... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: January 24, 2007, 11:16:02 PM

Simeon Rice = TO. Im talking about strictly from an on the field production stand point. TO had 82 catches but he dropped 18 passes. Rice is inconsistent, and one dimensional. 10 mil for a pass rusher who sometimes doesnt show up, but still puts up decent sack totals by years end that make a lot of people forget about his inconsistent play

I have been a huge fan of both Rice and Owens at one point too. It's just business, and they arent at the top of their games anymore. In Rice's case, he is at the hend of a backloaded contract and will save the team a lot of money, he also doenst make his paycheck when he IS healthy, he is in his 30s, but he is still very tradable and most teams seem to probably think he is worth 1 more big contract.

#1 : January 24, 2007, 11:23:20 PM

In all fairness, he was playing injured most of the season. True, his production seems to come and go, but at the end of the season, he's up there with the best. The question is, how do you replace what he does produce ?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 24, 2007, 11:26:25 PM

Simeon Rice = the greatest pass rusher of his generation.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 24, 2007, 11:28:05 PM

If you don't believe this, just ask him, he'd be glad to tell you

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 24, 2007, 11:30:20 PM

If you don't believe this, just ask him, he'd be glad to tell you

Amen!  ;D

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#5 : January 24, 2007, 11:34:02 PM

Comparing Simeon to TO is a huge stretch.

#6 : January 25, 2007, 12:23:23 AM

not if you watch the gaames. TO put up numbers. 82 catches, 13 TD led the NFL. But his production by numbers doesnt tell hhis true production to the team when you factor in all his dropped balls. well to me Rice never steps up against the top tier LT, he gets one on one blocks more oftenn than some want to believe and gets stonewalled often, and he isnt getting a pass rush, being disruptive or making a difference when he is healthy.

his production of 2004-2006 will be easily replaced, his production pre-2004, not so much. I;ll take a guy who will play 900 snaps in a season and be a difference maker consistebntly throughout them. Rather than being happy with his 10-12 sacks at the end of the day and forgetting about all those 3rd down plays where we needed a sack and he didnt get it. Or in the 4th quarter when he need a sack and it never comes. or when it is a big matchup and he is going  against guys who are supposed to be his equals on the OL and gets dominated one on one all day.

I might agree that Rice is the best pass rusher of his generation but Jerry Rice was the best WR of his generation and I dont want him taking up cap space and a startig spot

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#7 : January 25, 2007, 12:32:27 AM

I liked Rice when he was a dominant player. These last two years I just haven't felt that he was a dominant player. He was good last year but just not good enough to justify his price tag in my opinion. If we were offered a trade for him I would trade him because we have White waiting in the wings. We could draft somebody to come in here and hopefully give us a rotational pass rush from that spot too if needed.

I think now is the time to sell on Rice.

#8 : January 25, 2007, 12:47:44 AM

If you could trade Rice for Rogers or get an early 2nd from some team, that's one thing, but at this point it's only rumor & speculation.

#9 : January 25, 2007, 01:08:55 AM

Personally, if Rice was  untradable I would rather release him from his contract than play him. I think the BUcs will do this if he isnt traded. The good news is, I dont think any other teams realize he is headed out of Tampa and is no longer dominating so his demand would be higher than if teams knew we were getting rid of him

#10 : January 25, 2007, 01:15:52 AM

Personally, if Rice was  untradable I would rather release him from his contract than play him. I think the BUcs will do this if he isnt traded. The good news is, I dont think any other teams realize he is headed out of Tampa and is no longer dominating so his demand would be higher than if teams knew we were getting rid of him

If he isn't traded, IMO he plays out his contract. No need to cut him for cap reasons.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#11 : January 25, 2007, 07:06:22 AM

Personally, if Rice was untradable I would rather release him from his contract than play him. I think the BUcs will do this if he isnt traded. The good news is, I dont think any other teams realize he is headed out of Tampa and is no longer dominating so his demand would be higher than if teams knew we were getting rid of him

If he isn't traded, IMO he plays out his contract. No need to cut him for cap reasons.

Exactly. He really isn't strangling the Bucs with his contract anymore and if there's no reasonable offer for him, why get rid of your best pass rusher.

#12 : January 25, 2007, 09:38:57 AM

Exactly.

gone

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 25, 2007, 11:09:34 AM

If he's not tradeable, the only reason to cut him would be if you already had someone to replace him.  If we dropped a big chunk of change on a stud DE, and still wanted to go after other big $$$ players, I could see it. 

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#14 : January 25, 2007, 12:17:00 PM

IMO trade him or renogiate. In the past with his numbers he could command a high salary. If we keep him on next year and he lays an egg his value is nil to other teams and he will be faced with vet min.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simeon Rice = ... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools