Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Derrick Brooks says "I would play another year in Tampa" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Gdubbz

Practice Squad

: March 10, 2009, 01:43:59 PM

Free agent LB Derrick Brooks says he doesn't plan to retire and is open to playing another season in Tampa Bay.
"I’ve still got the Jones to play," he said. "I committed myself to playing one more year." The Bucs seem doubtful to bring Brooks back at a reduced price. Cutting the former franchise stalwart twice in one offseason would look bad.

Roto

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 10, 2009, 01:46:44 PM

Bringing him back at a reduced payroll would be fantastic if  you ask me. The guy deserves that right to come back for one more year. He could easily help develop the younger players and leave as a HoF player for the Bucs and ONLY the Bucs.

Real NFL Franchises know when they have a HoF player and they do NOT let him leave to join another team. If Tampa Bay shares 3 possible HoF players with other teams (Lynch,Sapp) then this is just pathetic as a Franchise. we have only 1 guy in the HoF for the Bucs and he spent his entire career here.

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 10, 2009, 01:48:39 PM

The GM said no to a comeback with less pay. Can he go back on his word? And where does he fit on this team?
I wish he would just hang it up as much as i hate to say that i think its just best foreveryone.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 10, 2009, 01:51:04 PM

I have absolutely no clue how credible this guy is but I did run across the following post. I kind of find it hard to believe but, then again, I found Deangelo Hall's new contract hard to believe after he scorched Oakland for a big contract and stunk it up last year:

According to my source inside the organization, there is growing internal speculation (and expectation) that Derrick Brooks will re-sign with the Bucs for a 1-year deal at the veteran league minimum and retire after this year. Again, this is not confirmed, but the likelihood of this happening seems to be growing.

I think it would be a great move on many fronts, namely restoring some fan confidence and approval. Brooks is a Bucs legend (if not THE Bucs legend), and it'd be shame to see him retire in another uniform. Also, it would give the new "young" Bucs some much-needed locker room leadership consistency.

Until this is a done deal, all we can do is continue to hope that we see #55 in red and pewter one more time. Bring Back Brooks!

source: http://www.bucem.com/2009/3/6/783212/brooks-expected-to-re-sign

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 10, 2009, 01:53:54 PM

Time for TB to move on and if Brooks wants to still play, maybe it's time for him to do the same.  Dominik could always go back on his word, but I think it could cause more harm than good from an internal aspect as well as a PR issue.  What happens next year when he has the itch to keep playing?  We're right back in the same "They released Derrick Brooks!" arguments again.  It's time for the Bucs LB to move into a new era, and maybe time for Derrick to do the same.

Think this has come out of DB's camp as there aren't many takers for his services?

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 10, 2009, 01:55:31 PM

Seems like everyone on a MB has their "sources."  I think it would be a step back in the process and direction they are wanting to go to bring him back after cutting him with no thought to potentially re-sign later.  It was made to seem that we were totally cutting ties.  If that's the case, keep them cut and move on.

#6 : March 10, 2009, 01:59:50 PM

I cannot see the reasoning as to why the FO would bring DB back...  it would appear to me that that would be a step backward rather than forward.

It's Ruud's time.   Derrick should focus on his other MUCH MORE IMPORTANT endeavors IMO.

TBsports55

Starter

#7 : March 10, 2009, 02:03:27 PM

Gdubbz beat me to the post. NFL.COM has the article on there homepage..

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/10/lb-brooks-wont-retire-open-to-returning-to-tampa-bay/

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 10, 2009, 02:06:34 PM

Seems like everyone on a MB has their "sources." I think it would be a step back in the process and direction they are wanting to go to bring him back after cutting him with no thought to potentially re-sign later. It was made to seem that we were totally cutting ties. If that's the case, keep them cut and move on.

For guys like Brooks, things like this tend to happen. They get let go, and everyone has a sudden change of heart. It happens with PBer's a lot.

I don't see what the problem would be in getting him back here cheaply for a year of play.

He wouldn't be every-down, but He'd be a damn-good "filler" if you ask me.

DailyRich68

Starter
#9 : March 10, 2009, 02:12:10 PM

Real NFL Franchises know when they have a HoF player and they do NOT let him leave to join another team.

Unless he's not playing at a Hall of Fame level anymore and your team would be better off playing someone else.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 10, 2009, 02:15:10 PM

He wouldn't be every-down, but He'd be a damn-good "filler" if you ask me.

Wouldn't that be even more of a perceived slap in the face of Brooks by some than his actual release in February?  A HOF career clinging to one last chance and limping to the end.  It wouldn't be any prettier of a scene for any Buc fan no matter how much they want Brooks back.  It's only delaying the inevidable and it's not going to look good.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 10, 2009, 02:17:01 PM

Real NFL Franchises know when they have a HoF player and they do NOT let him leave to join another team. If Tampa Bay shares 3 possible HoF players with other teams (Lynch,Sapp) then this is just pathetic as a Franchise. we have only 1 guy in the HoF for the Bucs and he spent his entire career here.

Montana and Rice...no?  Heck the Niners TRADED Joe Montana.  They released Rice only to have him join the across the Bay rival Raiders.  It's not a perfect word and the list from other teams goes on and on.  It's not just the Bucs as some want to make it.

NPR-BUC

Starter

#12 : March 10, 2009, 02:26:21 PM

I like Brooks but this is an embarrassment, him begging to play when he got cut is just senseless. Move on man write a book or be a analyst but don't beg to come back.

Jay Cutler is Gay!!!! The Bears Suck!!!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 10, 2009, 02:28:38 PM

Thanks, but no thanks, Derrick.

DailyRich68

Starter
#14 : March 10, 2009, 02:34:36 PM

I like Brooks but this is an embarrassment, him begging to play when he got cut is just senseless. Move on man write a book or be a analyst but don't beg to come back.

Yeah, this whole article sounds like Brooks' way of saying, "Hey, I'm still out here, anyone want to sign me?"
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Derrick Brooks says "I would play another year in Tampa" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools