Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My guess at Gruden/Allen's draft board so far « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

gharen

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 25, 2007, 12:32:17 PM

Everything I've seen and heard has Smith as the 3rd best QB at the Senior Bowl. I'd rather have one of the top two, either Stanton or Kolb.

#16 : January 25, 2007, 01:15:59 PM

Everything I've seen and heard has Smith as the 3rd best QB at the Senior Bowl. I'd rather have one of the top two, either Stanton or Kolb.

The latest I heard is Smith was the best QB there "because" he only had Stanton and Kolb behind him....Gruden may be putting out a smoke screen but dont be suprised...he is looking for his Donnovan McNabb

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 25, 2007, 01:41:09 PM

Well, Smith has definitely looked the best on the North from what I've seen. i like Stanton but he's been erractic.

And since when does he not have enough arm? I don't like him in round 2, but it has nothing to do with arm strength.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 25, 2007, 01:51:44 PM

The QB's are the Senior Bowl are sort of a bag o' hammers it sounds like. There's no Jay Culter types impressing folks.

Here are Scout, Inc.s practice notes on him:

Monday (1/22/07): Smith had a good opening day at the Senior Bowl. For starters, he can breathe a sigh of relief after measuring in at 6-foot even during the morning weigh-in process. While he is still considered short by NFL standards, there was speculation that Smith was closer to 5-11. Believe it or not, that inch is a big deal from a scouting perspective. As for practice, Smith showed good accuracy and velocity on his throws. He seemed to have lots of confidence in his ability and his quick feet were evident when he was working with the other quarterbacks on drop-back drills. However, Smith's wind-up delivery was extremely evident when he was throwing alongside Michigan State QB Drew Stanton, who has a much more compact release.

Tuesday (1/23/07): Smith continued to shine during Tuesday's practice. His release is not as compact as scouts would like to see, but that's not going to change much moving forward. Otherwise, Smith is doing an excellent job of moving his feet to find passing windows, which allows him to overcome his marginal height. He is showing more confidence in his reads and throws than all the other quarterbacks here. Smith also displays as good -- if not better -- arm strength, touch, timing and accuracy as Drew Stanton.

Wednesday (1/24/07): Smith had his most complete day of practice on Wednesday. He shows a good understanding of coach Jon Gruden's scheme and seems to be ahead of most the North players in that regard. He continues to display a strong arm and above average accuracy as a passer. The only time Smith has struggled is when he can't seem to find a passing window in time and tries to throw over his offensive linemen. In those instances, Smith's ball has had a tendency to sail high. That's a direct byproduct of his marginal height.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 25, 2007, 01:53:54 PM

If we draft a WR and a QB with 2 of our first 3 picks, we better damn well have done something in FA about the DL!  >:(

Or it's time for the torches and pitchforks..

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 25, 2007, 01:55:40 PM

Man, those guys are stuck on him being "short".  The guy can play at a high level, and we have all witnessed that.  I think Smith is a Seneca Wallace-type, with less speed.  

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 25, 2007, 01:59:42 PM

Smith is Antwaan Randle-el with a better arm.

richbucsfan

Starter

#22 : January 25, 2007, 02:56:39 PM

Wow! Can you believe Gruden and Allen would pick those guys?  Amazing!  Their picks are just awful.

leeroyselmon07

Starter

#23 : January 25, 2007, 02:59:36 PM

i agree defense has got to be taken care of this year. I don't know if I can take many more 4-12 or 5-11 seasons.

#24 : January 25, 2007, 03:42:20 PM

If we draft a WR and a QB with 2 of our first 3 picks, we better damn well have done something in FA about the DL! >:(

Or it's time for the torches and pitchforks..

I am just going by the notes in the senior bowl and how Gruden is looking at players. Not exactly what I want
Gruden fell in love with Caddy at the senior bowl in 04...it looks like Troy is his guy this year. Does it mean he will draft him? Maybe at the right place. Some have him going middle 2nd he would have to drop to us at (2b) good value pick.

There really isnt a defensive player in the top 4 anymore that would work that give us the CJ pick
Monte/Gruden/ "the new DL coach" have all fallen for Carriker
Gruden seems to be enamored with Troy Smith
Marcus Thomas seems to be a great pick at 4 as he was a top 15 slotted selection at the start of this season
Rouse is a 6'4 Safety that is a great tackler and can play LB as well
Mozes is flat out mauling people at the senior bowl
McDaniel is a underrated WR who has great speed and is a special teams gem

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 25, 2007, 06:57:26 PM

I think Gruden has a mancrush on Okoye.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#26 : January 25, 2007, 07:20:56 PM

Thomas would be straight up the best DT in the draft if it were not for the drug problem and his suspension. He has probably the most talented pure defensive athlete in the draft but he is a risk....thats why he fell

His legend grows bigger.....

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#27 : January 25, 2007, 08:22:19 PM

Maybe i missed this, but since when did Amobi Okoye say he wanted to play for the Bucs? I didnt know that, here is the excerpt from NFLDC today

Jon Gruden - North Head Coach

• Seems to really like Amobi Okoye and said that coaching guys like him is what makes this game fun.

• The last question was asked by none other than Jon Gruden: "Why do you want to play for the Bucs so much,"? Okoye replied because of the coaches facial expressions and also because they run a similar scheme to what he played in at the college level.

the last question was asked by gruden to Okoye

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#28 : January 25, 2007, 08:28:02 PM

I dont like the Smith pick, I think he is another version of Vick with his, Im too good attitude......................did any one see the pre-championship game interviews???

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 25, 2007, 09:02:33 PM

Monte does have Nebraska ties, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we took Carriker. Remember how early we took Ruud? Hell, they may trade up to get him lol. I think we either go him, or Okoye at 2a, whoever is there.

neither will be there.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My guess at Gruden/Allen's draft board so far « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools