Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Andre Smith falling? « previous next »
Page: 1

: March 11, 2009, 07:07:52 PM

Pro Days
Early signs for Alabama’s Smith not promising

Posted: Pro Days | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Alabama, Andre Smith

Andre Smith, one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft, said he was relying on Alabama’s pro day to make up for the disappearing act he put on at the combine. Well, the first returns aren’t overly impressive.

Smith’s best 40-yard dash time was 5.28 seconds, and he put up just 19 bench-press lifts at 225 pounds. His 40 time would not have been among the top 10 performers at his position in the combine, and his bench-press reps would have put him well behind the top 10.

The rest of Smith and his Alabama teammates’ numbers from pro day will be in shortly on NFL.com.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 11, 2009, 07:13:48 PM

Let's not start with the lets get him at 19 thing.
He's not worth it.
I think he's good and needs a fire lit under his ya know to get in shape.

3drdre

Starter

#2 : March 11, 2009, 07:25:41 PM

If he doesn't train for the Combine, why would he train for an NFL season when he is rich?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 11, 2009, 07:28:58 PM

clearly the kid is not getting good advice.  he needs to straighten up before he finishes blowing the opportunity of a lifetime....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JC510

Practice Squad

#4 : March 11, 2009, 07:50:05 PM

NFL Network showed video of him without a shirt on....

only thing saggier than his belly are his boobs.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 12, 2009, 10:38:51 AM

HIGH LIFE!!!!!

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 12, 2009, 11:17:18 AM

All I will say is that 40 times and bench press numbers do not create a good football player.  When this guy was on the field he was great. 

I am not saying that we should get him or that we need him.  All I am saying is that people put way to much into numbers that come outside of the field.

DailyRich68

Starter
#7 : March 12, 2009, 11:21:59 AM

Then again:

Said one veteran scout, “I just looked up the Combine 40 [times] for [tackles] and Smith ran equal to or faster than most.   Yup, he had a poor workout.  An out-of-shape fat guy ran better than most of the guy who were supposed to be in shape.”

“They say he was fat and the flab was all over the place,” the source said.  “What the f–k did they expect?  A body builder’s physique?  Smith is a fat guy.  He has always been a fat guy.  That’s his genetics.  It’s never going to change.

“When he was dominating the SEC last fall he was a 340-pound fat guy, and everybody said he was a top three [draft pick] and maybe the top guy.  He is too good a player who got some poor advice and it has hurt him a little.  But it hasn’t hurt him a lot.

“Here’s the fact — the a-holes making the comments are scouts who are not decision-makers, or they are people who want the kid to fall to them.  Mark it down — he still goes high.”

jaybuc88

Pro Bowler
#8 : March 12, 2009, 11:50:43 AM

All I will say is that 40 times and bench press numbers do not create a good football player.  When this guy was on the field he was great. 

I am not saying that we should get him or that we need him.  All I am saying is that people put way to much into numbers that come outside of the field.

I agree 100% This kid is a very good football player.....

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 12, 2009, 12:23:15 PM

I think he ends up a Guard much like Shawn Andrews

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 12, 2009, 12:27:43 PM

clearly the kid is not getting good advice. he needs to straighten up before he finishes blowing the opportunity of a lifetime....

At what point does the "kid" bear some responsibility? 

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 12, 2009, 01:15:02 PM

He won't be there at #19. We really don't have to concern ourselves about it.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 12, 2009, 01:25:25 PM

Yeah, kinda glad Bucs won't have to make that call.

Andre has talent but after watching that NFLN piece on his pro day and reading about that stunt he pulled at the combine... big red flags on his level of commitment and ability to excel at the next level.

Who told Andre to take off his shirt for the 40? Bad advice. Those manboobs were horrible.

kmitchell

Starter

#13 : March 12, 2009, 01:35:01 PM

Who told Andre to take off his shirt for the 40? Bad advice. Those manboobs were horrible.

That was epic. Maybe the shirt was slowing him down, and the man boobs acted like a windshield pushing the wind resistance away from his body haha.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 12, 2009, 01:36:28 PM

I think he ends up a Guard much like Shawn Andrews

That really wouldn't surprise me, which is why I'd just as soon not see the team draft him if he slips to them.  I'd be all for them using it as an excuse to trade out of the position were it to happen though.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Andre Smith falling? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools