Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: IS Calven Johnson to good to pass up for the Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

PA BuccsFan

Rookie

#60 : January 25, 2007, 09:25:41 PM

I don't think i would mind passing up on him. I think we either need a qb (which i would prefer the FA for that), O-line, and the defense. Galloway is a good reciever, Alex Smith is also good.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#61 : January 25, 2007, 09:26:52 PM

The LOT > the WR but Calvin might be the type of WR that > a lot of other guys left on the board.

Meaning we should be able to work up a good trade package

leeroyselmon07

Starter

#62 : January 25, 2007, 09:29:02 PM

You have to draft Calvin Johnson if he is there!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#63 : January 25, 2007, 09:30:06 PM

I heard the Bucs like Calven Johnson a lot, but are favoring drafting Navin Johnson in round two, if he's still on the board.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#64 : January 25, 2007, 09:43:08 PM

You have to draft Calvin Johnson if he is there!

Why?

Virtually every "great" wideout in the NFL is 0-fer when it comes to winning Super Bowl rings.

Owens? Nada.
Harrison? Nada.
Wayne? Nada.
Fitzgerald? Nada.
Moss? Nada.
Steve Smith? Nada.
Chad Johnson? Nada.
Andre Johnson? Nada.

It makes no sense for a team with serious questions at quarterback and offensive line, along with an aging defense, to waste a draft pick on a guy that touches the ball 7-12 times per game and is totally dependent on that same offensive line and quarterback to be effective.

WRs are luxury items. Concentrate on the necessities. Lots of teams have made good with pedestrian wideouts and solid fundamental line and QB play.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#65 : January 25, 2007, 10:00:02 PM

I heard the Bucs like Calven Johnson a lot, but are favoring drafting Navin Johnson in round two, if he's still on the board.

Just keep him away from those cans.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#66 : January 25, 2007, 10:45:20 PM

Calvin Johnson is a freak of nature...if ANYONE passes on him they are idiots.

Considering the Raiders, Lions, and Possibly the Browns will be ahead of us...we stand a good chance of getting him.

Joe Thomas has knee problems - is an automatic Pro Bowler? Gaines Adams, Carriker, and Okoye aren't worthy of being drafted that high.

Our pass protection wasn't the issue last year (although it wasn't great), it was our lack of thump in the running game. We had no threat to run because Mahan the Matador and Wade couldn't keep the DTs from penetrating into our backfield and Caddy was drilled before he even reached the LOS. When we had no running threat and we fell behind, teams knew we were going to pass and teed off.

Mahan will be gone, Buenning will be back and hopefully we can find a new center. But none of that can be fixed this early in the draft.

As far as I'm concerned, CJ at 3 or 4 it would be a no brainer.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: IS Calven Johnson to good to pass up for the Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools