Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What If... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

leeroyselmon07

Starter

#15 : January 25, 2007, 04:37:44 PM

I agree completely with everything you just said Quinn no way and Russell I just don't know

gone

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 25, 2007, 04:39:47 PM

Assuming no FA acquisitions in the OL and DL, Round 1 and 2a need to both go to linemen unless the board is clear of the good'uns. DL and OL are where we need to focus with those 2. I expect the QB to come out of FA.

The QB is not going to come from FA.  That is the whole premise to the post.
I understand that, but I think there's really no way it comes to that, that's why I said I expect it from FA.

But I guess in the very unlikely scenario, you could make an argument for Russel.  Not Quinn though.  I would still think that Jon feels there are already enough young QB's here that we don't need another, and would pass on both even if we got nothing in FA.   Nobody really stands out as the next big thing, and I couldn't see using our top pick there.  It's more of a "best QB in the class" than "future HOF material" there.  And our need at QB isn't another guy with potential, its an experienced vet.

gone

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 25, 2007, 04:41:12 PM

I don't thing drafting a QB in this draft would be the best thing to do for next season but as an overall improvement to the teams future I think it might be a great move.  If you can get a John Elway/Peyton Manning/Dan Marino/etc you take them.  I really don't see how people say it is not a need.  We don't have a franchise QB yet so how is it not a need?  Ofcourse if there is a great trade out there you have to consider it but I don't mind us drafting longterm.  I would hate to think Gruden and Allen are only drafting for next year and not looking at the longterm future of the team.
I don't think anyone is saying there's not a need at QB, except maybe some die-hard Simmians.  I think the part that is in question is the "If you can get a John Elway/Peyton Manning/Dan Marino/etc you take them".  I don't see that in this year's class.

#18 : January 25, 2007, 04:42:17 PM

I don't think anyone is saying there's not a need at QB, except maybe some die-hard Simmians.  I think the part that is in question is the "If you can get a John Elway/Peyton Manning/Dan Marino/etc you take them".  I don't see that in this year's class.

Right, I agree.  I may be wrong, but Russell and Quinn don't look all that great to me, at this moment.

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#19 : January 25, 2007, 04:45:34 PM

Can you show me one? Russell's not falling to us, and even if he does,. I don't consider him a franchise signal caller. i don't think this offense has the tools on the offensive line, and the receiving core (I am giving Michael Clayton until week 8 of 2007 season before i officially call him a career-ending bust) to excel. Taking Joe Thomas or Calvin should be a leap of extreme proportions in the right direction.

That said - I wouldn't mind Drew Stanton in the 2nd. Brady Quinn and JaMarcus russell - I'm not sold on either. Especially not on Quinn.

"I like the idea of taking Russell or Quinn if Johnson and/or Thomas is off the board." this is what I said in a previous post.  Whether or not Quinn and Russell end up being Franchise QB's no one knows yet.  They are graded to go that high because they have the physical tools to be one.  I am not a 100% on anyone in this draft, every pick involves some risk.  As far as Thomas and Johnson being a leap in the right direction you are right but if say Thomas or Johnson are not on the board one of these QB's will be there for us.  A Franchise QB is a very valuable asset and to pass on one for a DE/DT/WR just because it is a larger need today doesn't mean it is the best move for the team long term.  I wouldn't be disappointed if we went with any of those top four(Thomas/Johnson/Russell/Quinn).  None of these guys are a sure thing.    

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#20 : January 25, 2007, 04:47:42 PM

I don't think anyone is saying there's not a need at QB, except maybe some die-hard Simmians. I think the part that is in question is the "If you can get a John Elway/Peyton Manning/Dan Marino/etc you take them". I don't see that in this year's class.

You might be right.  But they are graded to have the skills to possibly be one.  If Gruden and Co.  think that one of these guys has that ability to be that good I wouldn't mind picking a QB that might not play for 2+ years.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#21 : January 25, 2007, 08:52:09 PM

I'm not sure who the three QBS the Bucs are after, I'm assuming Garcia is one (Plummer and Leftwich might be the other two as their respective teams might get rid of them) but I think a FA QB is a top priority for this offseason. Gruden knows he cannot go into the season with just confidence in Simms' ability. I willing to bet that the Bucs might be forced to pay big money to a QB just because the  QB situation is still up in the air for this team.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 25, 2007, 09:27:14 PM

I'm not sure who the three QBS the Bucs are after, I'm assuming Garcia is one (Plummer and Leftwich might be the other two as their respective teams might get rid of them) but I think a FA QB is a top priority for this offseason. Gruden knows he cannot go into the season with just confidence in Simms' ability. I willing to bet that the Bucs might be forced to pay big money to a QB just because the  QB situation is still up in the air for this team.

I'm not a PI but the article has a picture of David Carr on it, so I must assume he's one.

corporal.clegg

Second String

#23 : January 25, 2007, 09:29:46 PM

I'm not sure who the three QBS the Bucs are after, I'm assuming Garcia is one (Plummer and Leftwich might be the other two as their respective teams might get rid of them) but I think a FA QB is a top priority for this offseason. Gruden knows he cannot go into the season with just confidence in Simms' ability. I willing to bet that the Bucs might be forced to pay big money to a QB just because the QB situation is still up in the air for this team.

I'm not a PI but the article has a picture of David Carr on it, so I must assume he's one.

LOL....DTG super sleuth. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 25, 2007, 09:30:39 PM

LOL....DTG super sleuth.

Heh!

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 25, 2007, 10:57:32 PM

Absolutely.

IMO, any QB and WR are not "prime needs", this year., definitely not on day 1

Wherever they come from, FA or draft, we need a LT, DT, DE, S, LB, C and DT.

We were 4-12....EVERYTHING IS A PRIME NEED.

I'm sorry, I wasn't impressed with our QB play at all....and our WR core left a lot to be desired.

While a QB won't help us for a few years, a player the caliber of CJ could elevate the entire offense.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What If... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools