Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For years fans clamored for th Bucs to develop their younger players.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 15, 2009, 09:53:23 PM

Wow - you really think the buccs FO is thinking about next year's draft?

Yeah, to some extent.
I mean beyond the fact there will be one and they hope to be there... LOL

I would offer not to the point where they are looking at potential picks by position or individual... nothing beyond let's keep an eye out thinking...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 15, 2009, 09:54:29 PM

I have no problem with young players being brought along, but not all at once. And I'd rather that Gruden were still the coach.

Or at least a coach that has been at least a coordinator before.
And that isn't going to be the case - and we all know it - so - any chance of focusing on what the buccs do have?  It is time...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 15, 2009, 10:01:30 PM

Yeah, to some extent.

Mark's a very bright guy, and a guy who likes long-term planning. I guarantee he's looking ahead to next year's draft. To what depth I can't say, but certainly he has a good idea about which positions are likely to be deep or thin.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 15, 2009, 10:18:02 PM

To truly build a great team, you have to evaluate players not just against everyone available in this draft, but past and future drafts, too. Just because someone like Larry English or Aaron Maybin may be the best defensive ends available at #19, they probably wouldn't be in other years.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 15, 2009, 10:25:08 PM

To truly build a great team, you have to evaluate players not just against everyone available in this draft, but past and future drafts, too. Just because someone like Larry English or Aaron Maybin may be the best defensive ends available at #19, they probably wouldn't be in other years.
This started with Detrimental identifying DTs that will be available next year - and I theorize that will become more of an interest after this year's draft and FA - and maybe preseason of this year.  It just doesn't make much sense to me to do much more in the way of evaluating potential of 19 to 22 year olds

As far as looking backward - well that is where mistakes are found... and plans are made to avoid such mistakes in the future.  Now the part about looking two years forward - that is where it gets a little iffy to me..

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 15, 2009, 10:30:54 PM

I don't think it is bad to think about those DT's Detrimental identified. It's a pretty good list, likely better than whoever you could have guessed would be the top DT's at this time last year.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#21 : March 15, 2009, 10:42:21 PM

I like Bruce Allen's theory of building a team, which is he tries to have a young player at a certain position along with a veteran.

Example:

Derrick Brooks and Barrett Ruud
Ronde Barber and Aqib Talib
Jermaine Phillips and Tanard Jackson
Chris Hovan and Jovan Haye
Kevin Carter and Gaines Adams
Warrick Dunn and Cadillac Williams/Earnest Graham
Joey Galloway/Ike Hilliard and Antonio Bryant/Michael Clayton

#22 : March 15, 2009, 10:46:32 PM

And I'd rather that Gruden were still the coach.

Good Lord dude, you're beginning to type like the jilted lover.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 15, 2009, 10:47:04 PM

I like Bruce Allen's theory of building a team, which is he tries to have a young player at a certain position along with a veteran.

Example:

I think Bruce Allen's theory of team building was to have every position manned by a known quantity of a veteran, no matter how limited of a player, and if it becomes a last resort then try a young, unproven player.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 15, 2009, 10:49:33 PM

Example:

I think Bruce Allen's theory of team building was to have every position manned by a known quantity of a veteran, no matter how limited of a player, and if it becomes a last resort then try a young, unproven player.
And I think that Allen was hamstrung by picks lost getting Gruden - and then made some odd picks - still recalling Davin, Clayton... and the surprise at what appeared to be reaches

dodda45

Starter
#25 : March 15, 2009, 10:57:50 PM

The idea to go with all young players is ridiculous...Just about everybody has a mix of young players, guys in their prime and veteran players...Usually teams with primarily guys with only 1-3 years experience in the league are not very good...They are cheaper and if you invest in the right guys, you may have a real good team in a few years...but it is risky...You need leadership, you need veterans to tutor the younger guys, etc...

That is why Holt would be a perfect addition...

#26 : March 15, 2009, 10:59:32 PM

I'd have no problem with that. Question is..... can we write him a check?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 15, 2009, 11:04:31 PM

I'd have no problem with that. Question is..... can we write him a check?
You thinking they are still offering the IOUs?  LOL

acacius

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 15, 2009, 11:06:16 PM

Why does it have to be one or the other?  While I'm all for the team playing its young talent where it has genuine talent to play, I'm not a fan of the idea of playing players simply *because* they're young.  Not to mention that the idea of leavening one's team with veteran leaders doesn't strike me as ridiculous either.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 15, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Example:

That sort of hyperbole doesn't do your argument any credit.  How many times over the last few years have we seen people note how the team has one of youngest offensive lines in the NFL or how the supposed fact that the defense was ancient was rather overrated?
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For years fans clamored for th Bucs to develop their younger players.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools