Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Current Cap Situation for all 32 NFL Teams « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 19, 2009, 10:58:24 PM

I agree. The Clayton contract is the acceptation.

And the proof will be in the pudding with him. If he comes out in a new offense under a new coach and has a really nice season, 50 catches for 750 and 5 TD's, then the contract will be right in line.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 19, 2009, 11:18:31 PM

Cap room and the amount a team actually spends on salaries in a given year are two totally different things. A lot of teams may give the illusion that they are spending a lot based upon their lack of available cap space when, in fact, they may have current year signing bonus allocations from prior year signings and current year player cuts eating up their cap space. Washington and Oakland are teams that always have a lot of dead cap space because they are always cutting players that they have given large signing bonuses to in the past.

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#17 : March 19, 2009, 11:34:37 PM

I agree. The Clayton contract is the acceptation.

And the proof will be in the pudding with him. If he comes out in a new offense under a new coach and has a really nice season, 50 catches for 750 and 5 TD's, then the contract will be right in line.

Personally I think we have a better chance of getting Cutler than seeing Clayton rebound like that.  I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.

[Add witty one liner here]

The Q

Pro Bowler

#18 : March 19, 2009, 11:36:30 PM

Doesn't matter what the BUCS number is...the cheapskates owning the team are not going to spend to make the team better. They are hoping and praying that the youngsters can win games and they can pocket more money.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 20, 2009, 10:36:03 AM

Damn, another 23mil till we hit the cap floor? There are no FAs left that warrent big $$ deals, so I guess that leaves draft picks+ extensions for Ruud, Tanard, Davin, and maybe gaines?
The thing is extensions are usually used to lower the cap number: a signing bonus to make the player and his agent happy, with that number spread out over several years to lower the cap hit.

In order to hit the cap floor, I can see money being paid as a first year salary rather than a signing bonus.
This will get the team up to the cap floor, while spending less in real (not cap) dollars - and give the appearance that they are spending just as much money as other teams in an attempt to be competitive.
Hopefully I'm wrong, but that is my prediction.

Because all those guys are still on their rookie contracts, extensions will raise the cap number (except for Adams who I doubt they'll extend this soon). Ruud is currently getting a second round salary and a new deal would give him a starter/Probowler type salary. Tanard is getting a 4th round, near league minimum salary and an extension will raise his cap number by millions. I'd also expect Penn to get a bump up this year (he is on a one year tender).

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 20, 2009, 10:42:26 AM

Honestly, I am really impressed with the FO for not going on a shopping spree with our cap surplus.

I think they've done pretty well, with the possible exception of overpaying for Clayton.

Yep, they made the play for Haynesworth and other than Clayton have paid market or less for the guys they've signed.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#21 : March 20, 2009, 12:23:13 PM

Currently I think the FO deserve some Kudos for the way they have spent the money. The test of course will be when the likes of Barratt Ruud, Davin Joseph etc come to the end of their contract. At that point we will  know if the Bucs did in fact have a plan or are just being tight.
Honestly, I am really impressed with the FO for not going on a shopping spree with our cap surplus.  I know the Glazers are probably hurting a bit and thus limiting us to a degree and some will say we're just being cheap, but I think our discipline goes beyond that.  We could have overpaid for Haynesworth and others to make a splash but we have steadily added depth and moderately priced talent that will keep us in a good financial situation in the coming years.  While it is not quite as exciting as a Snyder offseason, it puts us in position to resign our young guys like Ruud and puts us in a situation to add someone like Cutler.  Kudos FO.

$40 million.  The owners are cheap.  Next year could be an uncapped year.  What good would all this salery cap do then?  Allen was able to roll the cap over to the next year, who says MD will do it or be allowed to do it. 

Even if the Bucs only had 20 million in cap space they would have plenty cap room to sign our own players.

Take off the pewter colored glasses.  You are not the owner and not spending money only helps the owners.  Spend the money and bring players in to compete.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 20, 2009, 02:14:58 PM

Who would you have spent the money on that the Bucs wanted and didn't get?

Forget AH.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 20, 2009, 02:31:40 PM

Javon Walker or Donte Stallworth.

Oh, wait. That was last year when we were crying about FA...

#24 : March 20, 2009, 02:49:42 PM

Why don't some of you get off the Glazers' butt for a while!  The next time you feel like pi$$ing the bed about Malcolm and his boys, try to recapture your brain for a fleeting moment and remind yourselves that WITHOUT Malcolm and Sons, Tampa Bay has NO football team in the NFL.  I swear, some of you people are 10 times worse than women on day 28!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 20, 2009, 03:27:46 PM

We already hit the cap floor.

What are you talking about?
Damn, another 23mil till we hit the cap floor? There are no FAs left that warrent big $$ deals, so I guess that leaves draft picks+ extensions for Ruud, Tanard, Davin, and maybe gaines?

Hit the cap floor - well put. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#26 : March 20, 2009, 04:35:01 PM

Forget AH.
WR
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Nate Washington
Devery Henderson
OT
Khalif Barnes
DE
Antonio Smith
Chris Canty
Igor Olshansky
DT
Rocky Bernard
LB
Jonathan Vilma
CB
Bryant McFadden
Domonique Foxworth
Leigh Bodden

Asante Samuel
Lance Briggs
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Current Cap Situation for all 32 NFL Teams « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools