Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Owner's meeting could speed up Cutler situation « previous next »
Page: 1

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

: March 21, 2009, 10:54:50 PM

Eli is not the weakest of the Group I think that it is Brady.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 21, 2009, 10:56:23 PM

CUTLER DRAMA WILL HIGHLIGHT LEAGUE MEETINGS

Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2009, 10:44 p.m. EDT

By leaking on Friday that more than ten teams have inquired about quarterback Jay Cutler, the Denver Broncos essentially announced that the auction is open.

Just as the 32 NFL franchise gather for the annual league meetings in California on Sunday.

Since Denver’s deteriorating relationship with Cutler provides no inherent leverage for trade talks, the Broncos need two or more teams to commence the process of jockeying for his services.

John Keim of dcexaminer.com recently reiterated something we’ve been hearing for nearly a week — the Redskins are interested.

Many other teams also could be, since Cutler provides a better option than the current starter in many NFL cities.

In our view, Cutler would provide an instant upgrade for the Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Texans, Raiders, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Buccaneers, and 49ers.

Other teams, like the Panthers, Seahawks, Eagles, and Rams, should at least explore whether it makes sense to make a play for Cutler — and then to part ways with their current veteran signal-callers.

Here’s another factor to keep in mind:  Any team pondering the possibility of hiring Mike Shanahan in 2010 should be considering Jay Cutler in 2009.  (For that reason alone, it makes sense that the Redskins would be interested.)

It also makes us wonder whether Jerry Jones has toyed with what would be a blockbuster deal bringing Cutler to the Cowboys and sending Tony Romo to the Broncos or, alternatively, to a third team that would then ship multiple players and/or picks to Denver.

Bottom line?  It’s crazy that the situation between Cutler and the Broncos has gotten to this point, and it would be foolish to rule out a resolution that, in hindsight, would appear even crazier.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 21, 2009, 08:19:45 PM

ESPN
Owners' meeting could speed up Peppers, Cutler situations

March 21, 2009 2:14 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

I've had several people ask if the NFL owners' meeting starting Monday in California could be the time when the situations involving Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers and Denver quarterback Jay Cutler finally play out.

Not sure that the meeting will produce a final resolution on either situation, but I think it's a very important part of the process. My best guess is that, if Carolina is going to trade Peppers, it won't happen until close to the draft. If Denver's going to trade Cutler, it might happen a little sooner than that because that situation's not getting any prettier.

At very least, the meeting could be crucial to these situations. It's not quite like the winter meetings in baseball, where the main purpose is to make deals. But the NFL meeting is a place where you get key movers and shakers from the entire league under one roof for three or four days.

Owners, coaches, general managers and even a fair amount of agents will be there. They'll talk and you have to think potential deals for Peppers and Cutler will be floated.

The Panthers have said they don't want their franchise player going anywhere, but Peppers has asked to be traded. If somebody wants to make a deal for Peppers, the Panthers at least will listen.

If the Tampa Bay Buccaneers still want Cutler (they did try to trade for him back at the start of free agency), the next few days could be a time to step up their efforts.

NPR-BUC

Starter

#3 : March 21, 2009, 08:50:51 PM

Hopefully Dom will be heading to Cali, to get in on the talks.

Jay Cutler is Gay!!!! The Bears Suck!!!

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#4 : March 21, 2009, 09:11:17 PM

If the Tampa Bay Buccaneers still want Cutler (they did try to trade for him back at the start of free agency), the next few days could be a time to step up their efforts.

I agree. The next few days are very important for the Buccaneers. If they go after Cutler and get him they get a franchise QB. If not they will still be betting on McCown. History is not on the buccaneers side when trying to find a franchise QB, especcially when putting in an unproven guy like McCown. Recent guys include Simms, Gradkowski, S King. Maybe McCown will work out which I think everybody is hoping to happen, but making a deal for a proven QB like Cutler would change the Franchise for a number of years.

Instead of looking for a QB they could look for other players to build around him. Which recent Super Bowl champions have done. The NE patriots have won 3 superbowls around Tom Brady. The Colts won one with Peyton Manning and his Brother won one with the Giants. The Steelers have won 2 behind franchise QB Ben Roethisburger. Even though the QB wasnt the only things in these teams winning Championships. They were certainly important pieces to the puzzle that lead them to winning their super bowl.

The bucs are a young team right now but have a lot of talent. A franchise QB would be a huge step in the right direction to getting their second super bowl win. Getting Cutler would almost Guarantee that they get that Franchise QB. McCown is still unproven, but hey he might be the QB the Bucs are looking for. Like I said though the bucs history is against that happening though. Thats why this is a very important time in Tampa Bay Buccaneers history right before us this weekend and until this Cutler thing gets resolved.

dodda45

Starter
#5 : March 21, 2009, 09:27:03 PM

I would say that Brady, Manning, and Big Ben were much more than important pieces to the puzzle...Eli had a very productive run but is definitely the weaker of the 4.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#6 : March 21, 2009, 09:31:03 PM

I would say that Brady, Manning, and Big Ben were much more than important pieces to the puzzle...Eli had a very productive run but is definitely the weaker of the 4.

which is def the reason why the bucs need to do all they can do to get Cutler on their team. Guys who are saying to forget about it have no idea what they are talking about. History is against Luke McCown to be the franchise guy.

DougTheGreat

Starter

#7 : March 21, 2009, 10:59:46 PM

I'm **bleep**ing tired of the Cowboys. Every article they writer gives us a minimum one trade scenario for DEN-DAL. I hope they go another decade without a playoff victory.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 22, 2009, 12:03:01 AM

One Dallas writer says a Cutler-Romo trade is fantasy...

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1269269.html

HughC

Pro Bowler

#9 : March 22, 2009, 01:32:15 AM

Eli is not the weakest of the Group I think that it is Brady.
Because the Giants beat New England in the SB?

I guess Mark Rypien was better than Jim Kelly too, because Rypien was the SB MVP and his team beat Kelly's Bills.  And the same thing also goes for both Doug Williams and Phil Simms being better than John Elway.

OldBloodandBucs

Starter

#10 : March 22, 2009, 03:54:26 AM

One Dallas writer says a Cutler-Romo trade is fantasy...

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1269269.html

I agree with that writer's thinking.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#11 : March 22, 2009, 04:05:51 AM

Listen even though McCown being the franchise guy is better for the team. That still has to become a reality. I want him to be but odds are against him. If we dont land Cutler every bucs fan has to be behind this guy because history is against him. Thats why this Cutler deal IS a big deal. We know what Cutler can do but we have no clue what McCown can do.

DougTheGreat

Starter

#12 : March 22, 2009, 04:23:27 AM

Listen even though McCown being the franchise guy is better for the team. That still has to become a reality. I want him to be but odds are against him. If we dont land Cutler every bucs fan has to be behind this guy because history is against him. Thats why this Cutler deal IS a big deal. We know what Cutler can do but we have no clue what McCown can do.

I back any QB who puts on the Bucs jersey. Doesn't mean I think it's the best man for the job. But he plays for the team I love. Same thing with what I said about Barry Bonds/Jason Giambi and the Rays. Hate the guys, but if they played for Tampa, I'd back them wholeheartedly.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Owner's meeting could speed up Cutler situation « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools