Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Sunday Ticket....... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

HughC

Pro Bowler

#15 : March 24, 2009, 01:39:50 PM

Though we as fans would love to buy single games or single teams, I don't see it happening.  If indeed there was more money to be made with this approach, don't you think the NFL would have done it already?  The NFL is a very well run, very profitable organization.  They make sound business decisions and are not in the habit of leaving money on the table.

bucmoon

Second String
#16 : March 24, 2009, 02:30:10 PM

I have had The Ticket since 1997 , i just dont understand why they would not offer it to everybody as with todays promos from time warner and Verizin with the combo services - i would prob switch to get a better deal with the all in one ..

Snook

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 24, 2009, 02:57:33 PM

Snook

I understand your point here, but it depends on who offers up the most denero.  One would think DirecTV would have the clout to outbid, but there's always another Ted Turner rich guy hanging in the weeds....LOL.

What are you talking about?  Ultimately, its DirecTV that chooses to pay out the money.

snarler

Second String

#18 : March 24, 2009, 02:59:32 PM

For one thing, it's not their decision to make. The NFL controls that, not DirecTv. The article I read specified "cable" access for Sunday Ticket. DirecTv is not cable.

The article quoted above indicates the only thing cable gets is a lame sounding Red Zone Channel.  Individuals who cannot get DirecTV either because they aren't allowed to put a dish where they live or they can't see the satellites will be able to get access to Sunday Ticket over broadband internet.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 24, 2009, 03:02:20 PM

For one thing, it's not their decision to make. The NFL controls that, not DirecTv. The article I read specified "cable" access for Sunday Ticket. DirecTv is not cable.

Actually, DirecTV makes the decision when they cut the check to the NFL.  THAT'S the final decision.

Not really sure I understand your posts.

You started this thread stating that the Sunday Ticket will be available on cable starting in 2012.

That's not entirely true.  DirecTV still has exclusive rights until 2014 with a couple small exceptions.  Read the link I posted.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 24, 2009, 03:06:29 PM

The article quoted above indicates the only thing cable gets is a lame sounding Red Zone Channel.  Individuals who cannot get DirecTV either because they aren't allowed to put a dish where they live or they can't see the satellites will be able to get access to Sunday Ticket over broadband internet.

Exactly.  This thread reads as though regular cable customers will be able to get Sunday Ticket in 2012.  That's not the case at all.

jizzy_22

Starter

#21 : March 24, 2009, 03:27:06 PM

Currently, American satellite provider DIRECTV has an exclusive deal with the NFL, making them the sole provider of NFL Sunday Ticket in the United States until the contract expires at the end of the 2010 season. [1] On March 23, 2009, it was announced that DirecTV paid $4 billion to extend its exclusive contract for NFL Sunday Ticket until 2014. [2] Prior to the NFL's latest television deal, other satellite and cable providers were allowed to bid on the rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket if they agreed to carry the NFL Network. However, DIRECTV still won exclusivity for the package, bidding over $700 million a year to do so. This has long been one of DIRECTV's selling points to consumers, and thus likely explains the large premium they pay for the privilege. Still, the NFL has indicated that another reason they accepted DIRECTV's bid was to limit the availability of the product so that the television networks and especially their local affiliates would be protected. In particular, Sunday Ticket viewers do not count towards local Nielsen Ratings; thus offering Sunday Ticket on cable (if the NFL decides to open it up in 2010 to providers that carry NFL Network) might cost CBS and FOX affiliates millions of dollars in lost revenue from local commercial breaks (as opposed to national ads sold by the networks). In turn, affiliates help subsidize the networks' programming costs.

Since the launch of new satellites, DIRECTV no longer drops other HD feeds to broadcast the NFL Sunday Ticket games in HD. It was rumored that some of NewsCorp's foreign satellite companies, such as BSkyB, would eventually offer NFL Sunday Ticket, as NewsCorp owned DIRECTV at the time it reached its most recent contract for the package and has long distributed games outside North America. However, given the fact that NewsCorp sold its 40% share of DIRECTV to Liberty Media in February 2008[3], this seems increasingly unlikely

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 24, 2009, 04:47:08 PM

I guess all we could hope for as out of town fans is DirectTV does a trial subscription thing where we could select one team's games only. Have one of the channels in the Ticket just dedicated to a team ie: Bucs are channel 714 each week, and see if that flies. I've also got a friend that gets the ticket, so I have access when I want. I shouldn't be complaining I suppose.

HughC

Pro Bowler

#23 : March 24, 2009, 05:58:34 PM

I guess all we could hope for as out of town fans is DirectTV does a trial subscription thing where we could select one team's games only. Have one of the channels in the Ticket just dedicated to a team ie: Bucs are channel 714 each week, and see if that flies. I've also got a friend that gets the ticket, so I have access when I want. I shouldn't be complaining I suppose.
That would be great for us as fans, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  DirecTV has had the Sunday Ticket for a long time; I would think if they were going to try something like this to see how it worked out they would have done it already.  I would also guess that the vast majority of households that buy the Sunday Ticket do so for the sole purpose of watching just one team - with the other games an extra perk that they could care less about. 

To make it worthwhile for DirecTV to switch, they would have to add that much more revenue from new subscribers as they dropped the price in a 'one-team only' plan.  For example, if they currently have a million people paying $300 each for the current plan, they would need to have two million people willing to pay $150 for a one-team-only plan.  Would dropping the price like that entice an additional million people to switch to DirecTV and purchase the lower-priced version of Sunday Ticket?  None of us knows for sure but I'm guessing they would not get enough new subscribers to make the new, lower-priced one-team Sunday Ticket worth it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 24, 2009, 10:29:28 PM

I hate DirectTV.  But I love the Sunday Ticket man...

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 24, 2009, 11:34:03 PM

Probably right Hugh. We could put it on the wish list for Santa anyways and see what happens. :)

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 25, 2009, 09:47:00 AM

Yeah, the original post was not accurate. They are getting the Red Zone Channel...which zips around the league and catches important situations during the games...but not the entire package - that remains a Directv exclusive. They didn't just pay a billion dollars to share their product with the cable companies.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Sunday Ticket....... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools