Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ryan Moats' Relative Dying. Police Delay. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

: March 26, 2009, 05:27:18 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqT12TlE4PrkSKOItIWQ_iZDubYF?slug=ap-player-stopped&prov=ap&type=lgns

PLANO, Texas (AP)—A police officer pulled over an NFL player rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drew his gun, threatened the player with jail and held him in the hospital parking lot as she died, officials said Thursday.

Officer Robert Powell told his commanders he drew his gun but did not point it, Dallas police spokesman Lt. Andy Harvey said. That was disputed by the wife of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

“He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car,” Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News, which first reported that Powell unholstered his sidearm.

The Moats family did not return messages left by The Associated Press.

Powell, who has been reassigned to desk duty, stopped Moats’ SUV outside Baylor Regional Medical Center during the early hours of March 18 after Moats rolled through a red light. Moats and his family had gotten a call saying his mother-in-law was dying.

Video from a dashboard camera inside the officer’s vehicle, obtained by Dallas-Fort Worth station WFAA-TV, revealed an intense exchange in which the officer threatened to jail Moats.

He ordered Tamishia Moats to get back in the SUV, but she ignored him and rushed inside the hospital to see her mother, Jonetta Collinsworth, 45, and was by her side when she died a short time later. She had breast cancer.

“Get in there,” said Powell, yelling at 27-year-old Tamishia Moats, as she exited the car. “Let me see your hands!”

“Excuse me, my mom is dying,” she said. “Do you understand?”

Ryan Moats, 26, explained that he waited until there was no traffic before proceeding through the red light. When Powell asked for proof of insurance, Moats grew more agitated and told the officer to go find it.

“My mother-in-law is dying! Right now! You’re wasting my time!” Moats yelled. “I don’t understand why you can’t understand that.”

As they argued, the officer got irritated. “Shut your mouth,” the officer said. “You can either settle down and cooperate or I can just take you to jail for running a red light.”

The exchange soon ended and Powell returned to his cruiser to write a ticket. A few minutes later, another officer approached Powell to tell him a nurse said the mother-in-law was dying right then and Moats needed to get into the hospital.

“All right. I’m almost done,” Powell said in response.

When Moats and Collinsworth’s father entered the hospital, they learned Collinsworth had died, The Dallas Morning News reported in Thursday’s editions.

The Moatses, who are black, said they can’t help but think that race might have played a part in how Powell, who is white, treated them.

“I think he should lose his job,” said Ryan Moats, a Dallas native.

The ticket issued to Moats was dismissed, Harvey said.

“There were some things that were said that were disturbing, to say the least,” he told the Dallas Morning News.

Powell told police officials he believed he was doing his job, said Dallas Police Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson.

Ok I officially hate police now...

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#1 : March 26, 2009, 05:35:12 PM

I saw the video. The cop was definitely in the wrong, and definitely, like a lot of cops, on a bit of a power trip. What they don't portray in the article, is that Moats definitely didn't say the types of things you want to say to a cop if you are trying to get on you're way quickly. It's hard to blame him him with the stress of the situation, but he was pushing some buttons too.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 26, 2009, 05:47:18 PM

Yeah I read that was seriously pissed off

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#3 : March 26, 2009, 06:01:23 PM

This is blowing up in their face big time... The local media is ALL over that...

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 26, 2009, 06:11:41 PM

the OP is an idiot for saying "I know hate police." you hate police from one incident? Hate to see what you say about stories where other races do anything wrong....... The cop was an idiot but I havent seen the video so, but people running out of the car upon being pulled over doesnt look good from what I read.

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#5 : March 26, 2009, 06:16:37 PM

the OP is an idiot for saying "I know hate police." you hate police from one incident? Hate to see what you say about stories where other races do anything wrong....... The cop was an idiot but I havent seen the video so, but people running out of the car upon being pulled over doesnt look good from what I read.
Watching the full video right now and he is a total A-hole.  He is running warrant checks etc. etc. and is taking his sweet time.  Even after the nurse tells him we need him inside to get his permission to resuscitate his MIL.

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 26, 2009, 06:18:16 PM

The Moatses, who are black, said they can't help but think that race might have played a part in how Powell, who is white, treated them.

Shocking.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 26, 2009, 06:21:08 PM

The Moatses, who are black, said they can't help but think that race might have played a part in how Powell, who is white, treated them.

Shocking.

hahaha yep.

Blacks claiming race on everything SHOCKING

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 26, 2009, 06:24:55 PM

What ther hell else would you call it then, bad judgement?

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 26, 2009, 06:27:18 PM

I would call the cop a peckerhead, not a racist.  How do we know why he acted that way?

He may very well be a racist, IDK.  It's just a shame that's always the first option for people.

Loose cannon

Rookie

#10 : March 26, 2009, 06:28:36 PM

Cue the badgelickers to tell us how things like this only happen once every million years and its all because officer Dangle is under paid and overworked.
I say take the cop and put him in jail with Bubba for being a **CENSORED**.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 26, 2009, 06:32:03 PM

Cue the badgelickers to tell us how things like this only happen once every million years and its all because officer Dangle is under paid and overworked.
I say take the cop and put him in jail with Bubba for being a dumb jerk.

werent you the same guy who stood up for Donald Drivers dad...

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 26, 2009, 06:33:56 PM

I would call the cop a peckerhead, not a racist.  How do we know why he acted that way?

He may very well be a racist, IDK.  It's just a shame that's always the first option for people.

It seems they like to blame instead of fixing the problem.

And thats why we see the high jail rates

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 26, 2009, 06:42:03 PM

Report: Powell Drew Gun On Moats’ Wife

Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2009, 5:36 p.m. EDT

Lost in the brouhaha that has erupted regarding the shameful (in our opinion) incident that unfolded between Dallas police officer Robert Powell and Texans running back Ryan Moats is a report that Powell drew his gun on Moats’ wife.

Apparently, the weapon was pulled at the outset of the confrontation, when Moats’ wife tried to rush inside the nearby hospital.

“Get in there,” Powell said.  “Let me see your hands.  Get in there.  Put your hands on the car.”

It should have been obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that a car with its hazard lights flashing that ran a red light and stopped in the parking lot of a hospital contains people who for whatever reason need to get inside said hospital.

This isn’t about Powell’s subsequent perception, right or wrong, that Moats had a bad attitude.  From the moment Powell got out of the car, he was wired for a confrontation.  Otherwise, he would have let Moats’ wife head to the hospital without incident.

The fact that Powell opted not to shoot her when she decided to ignore him proves that Powell knew what was happening.  And yet he still opted to act like a royal ass.

We realize some are concerned that criticism of police officers might undermine their ability to perform their jobs effectively.  We prefer to believe that criticism of those in authority is appropriate, when deserved.  Otherwise, Powell and people like him will continue to make the darkest moments of people’s lives unnecessarily darker.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 26, 2009, 06:48:05 PM

http://www.wfaa.com/video/?nvid=345762
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ryan Moats' Relative Dying. Police Delay. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools