Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ryan Moats' Relative Dying. Police Delay. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 17

bucmoon

Second String
#15 : March 26, 2009, 07:20:06 PM

Cops act like Jerks to white people too , I am white and they never had a problem giving me a ticket and attitude and i m always  polite to them .

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 26, 2009, 07:28:44 PM

Cop is a jerk and that isn't an uncommon trait among the crowd that goes for that job. I've heard all the crap from cops about "attitude" but when you are writing taffic tickets you aren't doing anything to "protect and serve" you are just a metermaid with a gun.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

cover-too

Starter

#17 : March 26, 2009, 07:29:51 PM

Look, until you are the officer involved in a traffic stop, don't be so hasty to rush to your judgements of what should or shouldn't be done.  Some of you paint with an awfully broad brush in your statements of officers or believing you understand how they should react in every situation they are confronted with.  In this particular situation, yes, I believe he was not as prudent as he probably should have been.  Although its easy to be the Monday morning QB.  

And to the idea that the officer should have known that a vehicle running a red light with hazards on and pulling in to the hospital parking lot meant that there was nothing illegal going on is unfair at best. I wonder what the two officers in Oakland should have noticed during their traffic stop to tell them they were about to be gunned down?  Every stop is different with the potential for danger, and any officer knows that you better be aware and on your toes during any of them.  Adding to the hightened aggresiveness can often be factors including the time of day as well as being outnumbered by occupants in the vehicle.

I am no "badge-licker", I wear it with pride.  I have no "power trip" that I'm taking, merely going about the job that I have to do with as much discretion as possible.  I feel badly for the family members in this specific story and for their loss and how it ended, but I feel it is rediculous and irresponsible to make such judgements and comments about law enforcement in general, based off of a situation like this.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 26, 2009, 07:31:33 PM

The cop was an idiot and should have handled it much differently but LMAO at the people who hate cops over any story like this. Again, I would hate to see what you think about black athletes after Vick and Stallworth stories.....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 26, 2009, 07:47:16 PM

Should have let Moats go, and came back after the fact and talk to him about pending, if any, charges. 

The pork was doing his job, but he should have used some common sense and let him go. 

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 26, 2009, 07:52:25 PM

You have good and bad in all professions...I just hate to see people jump on one profession but when something like this happens it's a crying shame that we don't have therapy for Police Officers to keep this from happening...Good Cops are great but bad ones no one needs...Their is no profession immune d from have "bad apples"...OBD

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 26, 2009, 07:57:20 PM

Similar case with a better ending happened last year. We debated on The Cove back then...

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=9777.0

Video of arrest...

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBNJPSO81F.html

Excerpt:

Deputy Punished For Use Of Force

By MIKE WELLS The Tampa Tribune

Published: May 3, 2007

TAMPA - Deputy Kevin Stabins didn't believe the crying woman. He told investigators he thought she was lying to get out of a speeding ticket and that his actions in arresting her were "fine."

His dashboard camera showed otherwise.

It showed the Hillsborough County deputy yanking a sobbing Melissa J. Langston out of a car in a hospital parking lot Nov. 1 and using his elbow to shove her over the trunk to handcuff her.

Langston, 37, sobbed and pleaded with the deputy that her father had suffered a heart attack and that she was trying to find him.

"And I told you not to go anywhere, didn't I?" Stabins said. "Now you're not going to see him because you're going to jail. Not smart. Not smart. Have a seat, you're under arrest."

Officials said Stabins' lack of compassion and use of "excessive and unnecessary" force in the arrest Nov. 1 brought him a five-day suspension without pay. The recommendation came after a recent Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office disciplinary hearing.

All charges against Langston were dropped.

Full Story at Link...

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 26, 2009, 08:03:18 PM

Similar case with a better ending happened last year. We debated on The Cove back then...

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=9777.0

Video of arrest...

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBNJPSO81F.html

Excerpt:

Deputy Punished For Use Of Force

By MIKE WELLS The Tampa Tribune

Published: May 3, 2007

TAMPA - Deputy Kevin Stabins didn't believe the crying woman. He told investigators he thought she was lying to get out of a speeding ticket and that his actions in arresting her were "fine."

His dashboard camera showed otherwise.

It showed the Hillsborough County deputy yanking a sobbing Melissa J. Langston out of a car in a hospital parking lot Nov. 1 and using his elbow to shove her over the trunk to handcuff her.

Langston, 37, sobbed and pleaded with the deputy that her father had suffered a heart attack and that she was trying to find him.

"And I told you not to go anywhere, didn't I?" Stabins said. "Now you're not going to see him because you're going to jail. Not smart. Not smart. Have a seat, you're under arrest."

Officials said Stabins' lack of compassion and use of "excessive and unnecessary" force in the arrest Nov. 1 brought him a five-day suspension without pay. The recommendation came after a recent Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office disciplinary hearing.

All charges against Langston were dropped.

Full Story at Link...

Thanks Joe I was lost and wanted to see it...OBD

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 26, 2009, 08:37:29 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqT12TlE4PrkSKOItIWQ_iZDubYF?slug=ap-player-stopped&prov=ap&type=lgns

PLANO, Texas (AP)—A police officer pulled over an NFL player rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drew his gun, threatened the player with jail and held him in the hospital parking lot as she died, officials said Thursday.

Officer Robert Powell told his commanders he drew his gun but did not point it, Dallas police spokesman Lt. Andy Harvey said. That was disputed by the wife of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

“He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car,” Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News, which first reported that Powell unholstered his sidearm.

The Moats family did not return messages left by The Associated Press.

Powell, who has been reassigned to desk duty, stopped Moats’ SUV outside Baylor Regional Medical Center during the early hours of March 18 after Moats rolled through a red light. Moats and his family had gotten a call saying his mother-in-law was dying.

Video from a dashboard camera inside the officer’s vehicle, obtained by Dallas-Fort Worth station WFAA-TV, revealed an intense exchange in which the officer threatened to jail Moats.

He ordered Tamishia Moats to get back in the SUV, but she ignored him and rushed inside the hospital to see her mother, Jonetta Collinsworth, 45, and was by her side when she died a short time later. She had breast cancer.

“Get in there,” said Powell, yelling at 27-year-old Tamishia Moats, as she exited the car. “Let me see your hands!”

“Excuse me, my mom is dying,” she said. “Do you understand?”

Ryan Moats, 26, explained that he waited until there was no traffic before proceeding through the red light. When Powell asked for proof of insurance, Moats grew more agitated and told the officer to go find it.

“My mother-in-law is dying! Right now! You’re wasting my time!” Moats yelled. “I don’t understand why you can’t understand that.”

As they argued, the officer got irritated. “Shut your mouth,” the officer said. “You can either settle down and cooperate or I can just take you to jail for running a red light.”

The exchange soon ended and Powell returned to his cruiser to write a ticket. A few minutes later, another officer approached Powell to tell him a nurse said the mother-in-law was dying right then and Moats needed to get into the hospital.

“All right. I’m almost done,” Powell said in response.

When Moats and Collinsworth’s father entered the hospital, they learned Collinsworth had died, The Dallas Morning News reported in Thursday’s editions.

The Moatses, who are black, said they can’t help but think that race might have played a part in how Powell, who is white, treated them.

“I think he should lose his job,” said Ryan Moats, a Dallas native.

The ticket issued to Moats was dismissed, Harvey said.

“There were some things that were said that were disturbing, to say the least,” he told the Dallas Morning News.

Powell told police officials he believed he was doing his job, said Dallas Police Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson.

Ok I officially hate police now...
Not all cops are like this one.. But unfortunately when there is one, it is one too many !!!! At the very least, he should be suspended without pay !!

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 26, 2009, 08:49:59 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqT12TlE4PrkSKOItIWQ_iZDubYF?slug=ap-player-stopped&prov=ap&type=lgns

PLANO, Texas (AP)—A police officer pulled over an NFL player rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drew his gun, threatened the player with jail and held him in the hospital parking lot as she died, officials said Thursday.

Officer Robert Powell told his commanders he drew his gun but did not point it, Dallas police spokesman Lt. Andy Harvey said. That was disputed by the wife of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

“He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car,” Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News, which first reported that Powell unholstered his sidearm.

The Moats family did not return messages left by The Associated Press.

Powell, who has been reassigned to desk duty, stopped Moats’ SUV outside Baylor Regional Medical Center during the early hours of March 18 after Moats rolled through a red light. Moats and his family had gotten a call saying his mother-in-law was dying.

Video from a dashboard camera inside the officer’s vehicle, obtained by Dallas-Fort Worth station WFAA-TV, revealed an intense exchange in which the officer threatened to jail Moats.

He ordered Tamishia Moats to get back in the SUV, but she ignored him and rushed inside the hospital to see her mother, Jonetta Collinsworth, 45, and was by her side when she died a short time later. She had breast cancer.

“Get in there,” said Powell, yelling at 27-year-old Tamishia Moats, as she exited the car. “Let me see your hands!”

“Excuse me, my mom is dying,” she said. “Do you understand?”

Ryan Moats, 26, explained that he waited until there was no traffic before proceeding through the red light. When Powell asked for proof of insurance, Moats grew more agitated and told the officer to go find it.

“My mother-in-law is dying! Right now! You’re wasting my time!” Moats yelled. “I don’t understand why you can’t understand that.”

As they argued, the officer got irritated. “Shut your mouth,” the officer said. “You can either settle down and cooperate or I can just take you to jail for running a red light.”

The exchange soon ended and Powell returned to his cruiser to write a ticket. A few minutes later, another officer approached Powell to tell him a nurse said the mother-in-law was dying right then and Moats needed to get into the hospital.

“All right. I’m almost done,” Powell said in response.

When Moats and Collinsworth’s father entered the hospital, they learned Collinsworth had died, The Dallas Morning News reported in Thursday’s editions.

The Moatses, who are black, said they can’t help but think that race might have played a part in how Powell, who is white, treated them.

“I think he should lose his job,” said Ryan Moats, a Dallas native.

The ticket issued to Moats was dismissed, Harvey said.

“There were some things that were said that were disturbing, to say the least,” he told the Dallas Morning News.

Powell told police officials he believed he was doing his job, said Dallas Police Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson.

Ok I officially hate police now...
Not all cops are like this one.. But unfortunately when there is one, it is one too many !!!! At the very least, he should be suspended without pay !!
Actually Frog he also needs to go to sensitivity training again and be able to reason why one is in a hospital parking lot...It would have only taken a moment...I live with some of the finest around my area and they are truly Great people...OBD

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 26, 2009, 08:51:05 PM

Cop was a true **CENSORED**bag.  He should be fired.

No if's and's or but's.  

"I'm almost done."

He had no reason to be that way.  NONE.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 26, 2009, 08:54:09 PM

Why should he be fired?

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 26, 2009, 08:57:21 PM

Why should he be fired?

Because he was insensitive to those who pay his paycheck and he couldn't recognize it...That in itself was the bottom line...OBD

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 26, 2009, 09:02:26 PM

Why should he be fired?

Because he was insensitive to those who pay his paycheck and he couldn't recognize it...That in itself was the bottom line...OBD

So you can fired for being "insensitive"?

I think he was being a jerk no doubt about it but to say someone should be fired because he wasnt nice is stupid.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 26, 2009, 09:03:38 PM

If it were your family...

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ryan Moats' Relative Dying. Police Delay. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools