Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Raheem Morris "I majored in Madden" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
: March 30, 2009, 02:03:50 PM

You act like your some type of spokes person because your pathetically active on this board.

I don't care if I post 1 time or 10 million times on the board.   The fact is that I've watched the Bucs a loooooong time.   Ever since they first started.   That in itself gives me a different perspective from the guys who just started being fans since the Bucs won the superbowl.  

I've been a fan as long (or longer) than you Java and I think you're being an idiot...but hey, that's just my opinion.

What annoys me about you is that you haven't even given him a chance - all you've done since the day he was hired is bash, bash and bash some more. Everything we've heard from Scott, the fishwraps, and other sources that off-the-record the players LOVE the guy and can't wait to play for him. All the players and coaches he let go could have dissed him - saying he doesn't know what he's doing - yet all of them had positive, good things to say about him.

Yet, you - a know-nothing "fan" come on here every day and every thread possible bashing the dude for no particular reason other than he doesn't fit your pre-conceived idea of what a coach should look, talk and act like. You take every opportunity to take anything the man says out of context and use it to foster hate and negativity.

Like I said, I think you're being an idiot. Nothing personal, it is what it is. Let the man coach his football team, if he fails he fails but at least give him a chance before you rip him.

Funny how those of us that don't drink the kool-aid are "know nothing fans".  I've only been a bucs fan for about 15 yrs, but I've been in football for nearly as long.  Leadership and coaching are two subjects I happen to be quite versed in.  From what I've seen of Morris thus far, I have SERIOUS concerns regarding his ability to lead.  I've trained many a leader in my career and continue to study the greats from Vince Lombardi to Napolean, I eat this stuff up.  Based on psychological and historical factors, I don't feel comfortable with Morris.  I know many people like to compare him to Mike Tomlin, but that simply isn't an honest assesment.  Tomlin has IT.  He's a tough as nails, knowledgable coach that commands respect from his team. His men both respect him and fear his wrath.   Morris on the other hand is a buddy-buddy "player's coach".  This mentality works well as a position coach, but doesn't usually translate well as a head coach.  I truely believe if the Bucs start losing, Morris does not have the leadership ability to rally the team and keep the lockeroom together.  Gruden had it.  Dungy had it before him.  I really can't say why Morris was chosen to replace a proven winning coach (nor did I understand the firing of Dungy, quite honestly).  

Maybe time will tell, and I'll be wrong.  But to date I've seen NOTHING that leads me to believe that Morris can lead this team to greatness.

Sandman, unless you've step on an NFL field, coached in an NFL locker room - you don't have any idea what you're talking about and you are a know-nothing fan. Myself included.

How did you form your opinion of Morris? From his press conferences and interviews? Seriously? Tell me, is Bill Belicheck a great interview? Parcells? Yet they coach pretty damned well.

We have no idea how the team will respond to Raheem - but he already has their support. In fact, the football team is more solidly behind this coach than they were the previous one. Whether that support will remain when times are tough will be the ultimate test of his ability. We'll find out.

The point is that the information is incomplete on him. I don't know if Morris will be the next Vince Lombardi or the next Richard Williamson - but I do know the guy deserves a chance to put it on the field. If he fails he fails - but at least deserves that opportunity before fans form opinions of him.

But its absolute stupidity to sit there and say - "I've been a Bucs fan since 76 and this Raheem Morris guy is a joke - we're going 4-12" with absolutely no data for the basis for forming the opinion.

This is the man our ownership chose to replace Jon Gruden. He deserves a chance to prove he's worthy of that - that's all I'm saying. Give the man a chance. If he sucks, he'll be out of here in a couple years - but why hate on him before his first game?

I just don't understand that mentality.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 30, 2009, 02:25:35 PM

What happened to Java's attention-seeking, thread about firing Morris and Bates?

Java has jumped the shark.

I quoted him saying where Gruden wouldn't be fired for 10 years, and he promptly deleted the post. I called him out on deleting the post and asked how many others of his he deleted, and he promptly deleted the thread.

He can jump on the skis with OBD.

Nice Fonz photo.

Geez, the drama of Java.

He's done that before. That's why when I see one of his ridiculous posts, I quote it.

At this point in the season Java is telling everybody how bad we are going to be and predicting doom and gloom for the team. Isn't it too early to be saying that?

Predictions are silly.   That's why you normally see me predict ridiculous things like 16-0 before the season starts.   Until it's underway, we really don't know what we're working with this year.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 30, 2009, 01:54:08 PM

What happened to Java's attention-seeking, thread about firing Morris and Bates?

Java has jumped the shark.

I quoted him saying where Gruden wouldn't be fired for 10 years, and he promptly deleted the post.  I called him out on deleting the post and asked how many others of his he deleted, and he promptly deleted the thread.

He can jump on the skis with OBD.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 28, 2009, 05:07:50 PM

Bucs’ Morris: Thank Madden for rise of young coaches

DANA POINT, Calif. — What’s the reason for the infusion of younger head coaches in the NFL?

Thirty-two-year-old Raheem Morris, the new coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, has a simple answer: Blame it on John Madden. But that’s not because Madden, himself, was 32 when he became coach of the Oakland Raiders in 1969.

“Ever since he made that (video) game, everybody thought they could be a coach,” Morris said during this morning’s NFC coaches-media breakfast at the league meetings. “You’ve been creating your own team, you’ve had your own fantasy leagues, you’ve been doing salary caps since you were 12. He ruined the league for the older coaches.”

How much Madden Football did Morris play as a youth?

“Are you kidding me?” he said. “I majored in it in college (Hofstra University).”

Morris touched on other topics as his plate of sausage and eggs got cold:

* The moment the reality set in that he was a head coach and no longer an assistant: “The first day’s the honeymoon, the (introductory press conference), everybody loves you. The second day you’ve got to fire and hire coaches. Those guys (he fired) are my friends, guys I respect. The day you’ve got to make a decision on your players is a tough one. And then the first meeting of your offseason program. That’s big. I had 66 guys sitting in front of me. You establish your boundaries, your rules … you set the standard. That was a change, that was kind of the moment. I was lucky enough to have Coach (Jon) Gruden let me get in front of the team before and talk with the whole group, so it was nothing new. But it was different (to do so as head coach).”

* Coaching an entire team as opposed to only the defensive backs he guided for the Buccaneers through last season: “Call it naive, call it young, I don’t know, but this is how I’m looking at it: I had 15 (defensive backs) before. Now I’ve got 66 DBs sitting in front of me, and I’m going to approach it like that. All my DBs have always been competitive. They’ve always done what I’ve asked, I’ve always messed around with them in the locker room, I’ve always been demanding, and they’ve responded. You tell (a veteran such as cornerback) Ronde (Barber) the same thing you told him before, ‘I’m going to tolerate you until I can replace you.’”

* His wide-open quarterback situation: “We have three guys on our roster– two young guys (Luke McKown and Josh Johnson), both unproven, and an older guy in Brian Griese. We want to add a fourth for competition, and however that comes, draft or whatever. Nobody knew who the hell Matt Cassel was until Matt Cassel got an opportunity. We’ve got two young guys who can have an opportunity if they beat out Brian Griese or whoever this fourth guy is. I’m evaluating every day, everything they do, from (organized team activity) days to minicamps, obviously into the preseason. You make that decision (going into) your third preseason game. Usually, that’s when you make it. If it goes a little longer because I’m not ready yet, then that’s what we’re going to do. If it happens before that, it happens before that.”

–Vic Carucci

Larry Brackins

Starter
#4 : March 28, 2009, 05:12:38 PM

What a stud.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 28, 2009, 05:14:18 PM

66 DB's?   That's a lot of DB love.    And he thinks his best experience is from playing Madden?   What a kid.

kmitchell

Starter

#6 : March 28, 2009, 05:39:22 PM

Morris proved his Madden expertise by getting Kellen Winslow for a 2nd. In Madden, you have to give up a 1st for K2, nice move! I thought it was weird in Madden 08 that I would always pick up Antonio Bryant as a FA to be my #1 WR, then it happened in real life.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 28, 2009, 05:43:37 PM

�And he thinks his best experience is from playing Madden? � What a kid.

He did not say that at all. He simply stated playing Madden as a kid gave him (and others) the desire to become a head coach some day.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 28, 2009, 05:54:25 PM

66 DB's?   That's a lot of DB love.    And he thinks his best experience is from playing Madden?   What a kid.

It's a mind-set Java, I hope you know what he meant.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 28, 2009, 06:23:16 PM

“Ever since he made that (video) game, everybody thought they could be a coach,” Morris said during this morning’s NFC coaches-media breakfast at the league meetings. “You’ve been creating your own team, you’ve had your own fantasy leagues, you’ve been doing salary caps since you were 12. He ruined the league for the older coaches.

It sounds to me like the kid really does believe playing Madden is an advantage.  haha.  What a joke this kid is.

#10 : March 28, 2009, 06:27:17 PM

Morris proved his Madden expertise by getting Kellen Winslow for a 2nd. In Madden, you have to give up a 1st for K2, nice move!

LMAO!!!

It sounds to me like the kid really does believe playing Madden is an advantage. haha. What a joke this kid is.

NO.... what a joke you are for taking what he said literally!!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 28, 2009, 06:50:01 PM

Booker

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 28, 2009, 06:51:12 PM

Why do you hate Morris and are so quick to judge him?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 28, 2009, 06:57:35 PM

Why do you hate Morris and are so quick to judge him?

He's a kid.   Have you ever heard any other coach in NFL history even mention playing Madden?

Booker

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 28, 2009, 07:01:25 PM

So him being young means you hate him?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Raheem Morris "I majored in Madden" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools