Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Not to make too much of the overthrown passes but « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

simms22

Second String

#90 : October 15, 2006, 11:37:55 PM

And you were there to read every post!

Thank God for that! ;D
i dont know how they can jump into a middle of a conversation and somehow discern that you think simms is the savior and grads sucks. This thread was based solely on the purpose of what grads needs to work on based on what we have seen from him today.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#91 : October 15, 2006, 11:38:08 PM

Grads will have ups and downs this season, but he is a stone cold lock to be the starting QB next year, basically because Gruden loves him and he is right for the system.  Some of the passing was a little off today, but he still had a decent completion percentage.  I am sure he will have days when he does a hell of a lot better, and once he gets used to the playbook and game speed he will be a VERY good QB.

I hope so, but I am slow to warm to two performance QBs.  Know what I mean?

I been through the Mike Clayton phase already.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#92 : October 15, 2006, 11:39:16 PM

i dont know how they can jump into a middle of a conversation and somehow discern that you think simms is the savior and grads sucks. This thread was based solely on the purpose of what grads needs to work on based on what we have seen from him today.

It is called "clairvoyance".

Or maybe it is something that is in the back of their own mind...

Either way, you are right.

drywallbuc

Starter

#93 : October 16, 2006, 12:01:38 AM

still dont think he throws a nice long ball, dibs on 4 int's next week...

buy american
hire american
save america

boycott chinese goods

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
#94 : October 16, 2006, 01:04:25 AM

I thought that Grads showed some pretty decent arm on his long ball. Yes, he overthrew his recievers badly, but more than a few of those throws were as good as I've seen in the NFL as far as distance and velocity. Grads showed me today that his supposed 'lack of a big arm' isn't quite as advertised. Simms throws a better deep ball, but Grads arm is better than I thought. Much better.

As far as his performance, considering that the Bengals had some game tape on Grads, it wasn't bad at all. I was especially encouraged that after going 9 of 20 in the 1st half, Grads was able to connect on 16 of 24 (66%) in the 2nd half. That not only indicates that Gruden made some changes, but Grads made some too. I also like the fact that when the game was on the line (twice) he's responded and given his team the lead twice late in the 4th quarter. Rookies don't do that much and Grads is 2 for 2.

So encouraged? Damn Straight. The telling game will be the next one against Philly IMO. The Eagles will have 2 full games of tape to study, one against a common foe. But count me as on the Great Gradowski bandwagon, I do believe that Grads is our QB for next year and beyond.

I guess what I see that I didn't see before with the other Buc QB's is what has already been mentioned on this board so I'm not going to go into that.

But what I really like, really appreciate about Gradowski is that this guy is what football is all about. It's taking on that LB with a solid driving block when all that was needed was to get in front of him to keep him from making the play. It's about chasing down the guy that intercepted you, and tearing off his helmet as if to say 'how DARE you! I'll make you pay!'. It's about refusing to go down, finding a way to make that play to keep the critical drive alive, but also knowing when the play is over and giving up and not costing the team distance as well as the down.  It's about making that hard count to draw the opposing defensive line offsides in your 2nd freaking game (good job rookie! Some vet QB's can't do that).

Some say that Gradowski reminds them of Gannon, or perhaps Garcia. I see a Farve with a dash of Brady. Maybe Lord Farve's game isn't what it used to be, but when you think of competitiviness you think of Farve. The dash of Brady comes from (hopefully) not being quite the gunslinger that Brett was. I think Grads would fail, or at best be a average QB in a traditional offense. However, I think he will be close to brilliant in this one (I really believe that). Gruden is exactly the right coach for Bruce and this is the right offense with the right parts for him to be successful.

I believe that this is the guy that Gruden has been waiting for and I think Gruden knew it in the pre-season. I believe deep in his heart, he knew this is the guy he wanted to QB his team, but his head said that Chris should get his chance first, but I don't think he was ever fair to Chris. Gruden took a long time to modify his game plans to Chris's strengths, almost reluctantly making belated changes in the 2nd half of the Carolina game. However, with Gradowski, Gruden's play calling has changed, it's taken on a new life - again almost if he's excited to run the next play just to see how it would work. Double end around? Who runs those any more? The quick slants were there almost all the game. There were recievers open in the seams today that Gradowski just missed. That will change.

I never wrote like this about any of Simms games. I was happy as everyone else was when we kept winning last year with Chris, but the offense never seemed 'right'. Simms was still a caretaker, not a driver of the offense.

Bruce is a driver. I believe he's going to take this offense places it has never been before. And I think we will see it this season. I really do.

It's only two games, only 2 games plus a phenominal pre-season. But this guy is the right guy in the right system.

Fine post, nitey. The kid is like the Energizer Bunny who keeps going and going, and obviously, to the chagrin of some posters on this board, his energy and excitement is catching on with most fans. It's sure to be a roller coaster ride for a while with Gradkowski, but he will succeed because he has enough character and desire to make up for whatever shortcomings he may have. He provides a ray of hope for those who were dismayed at the way this season began.  It appears that Gradkowski has been a great over-achiever most of his life and I think he gives many of us an opportunity to live vicariously through his achievements the way most of us do through the successes of our children. We hope for his success because we want to share in that success. We all want to be able to say we are number one.

For those who want to hitch their star to the Gradkowski bandwagon do not be discouraged by those who only say nay and seek to burst your balloon. They will come belatedly to the bandwagon and claim they were always on board.

In a free society the state does not administer the affairs of men. It administers justice among men who conduct their own affairs.
Walter Lippmann (1889–1974)

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#95 : October 16, 2006, 06:03:32 AM

While I agree Grads was not very accurate on many of his long passes, I think the biggest problem was choosing to throw them at all.  In most cases he was throwing into triple-coverage.  He sure looked accurate on the TD pass to Galloway last week.  I think Jury's still out on whether or not he has a 'big enough' arm to make the deep throws.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Not to make too much of the overthrown passes but « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools