Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the real AB stand up? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
: March 30, 2009, 07:16:48 PM

PFT has an article where he says he is in an unfair situation,Gruden was his life line to the NFL and how he has new QBs fighting to show their ability. Can't post a link but would appreciate if someone could.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

#1 : March 30, 2009, 07:26:35 PM

Antonio Bryant Calls His Situation “Unfair”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2009, 6:55 p.m.

Buccaneers receiver Antonio Bryant is due to make $9.488 million in 2009 as the team’s franchise player, only two years after he was out of the NFL entirely.

But while he says he’s happy, he’s not completely happy, because he’s now required to prove himself again under a one-year contract, but with no proven quarterback to throw him the ball.

“I’m happy to be there because it’s a comfortable situation in returning somewhere where I was last year,” Bryant told Sporting News Radio’s The Monty Show on Monday.  “I know the people, the coaches, the family and the organization, so it’s a comfortable situation as far as that. . . .

“[But it’s] a one year contract, it’s a ‘prove yourself’ contract, again, and the circumstances for me have gotten a little tighter.  Now I’ve got quarterbacks fighting for opportunities to showcase their talents so the ability that was there last year is gone.  We lost a lot of leaders, so we’re going to have to find some leaders in the locker room.  And we’ve got some guys that can step up but there’s a lot more tweaks and new things I’ve got to get comfortable with again.  So it’s simple situation, but an unfair situation for myself.”

Bryant also sounds a bit upset that the head coach, Jon Gruden, is gone.

“With Coach Gruden everybody knew that was my life line, that was Antonio Bryant’s lifeline to being in the NFL again and I’m not ashamed of that.  Especially for a guy that has the desire and passion for the game.  And you know everybody can have their own individual differences about Coach Gruden but I can honestly say . . . that he took the fall for a lot of shortcomings that our team had last year.”

Our guess?  Bryant will pocket that $9.488 million this year, he likely won’t be franchised again because his numbers won’t be where they were in 2008, and then he likely will sign with whatever NFL team Gruden is coaching in 2010.

PFT.com

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#2 : March 30, 2009, 07:30:54 PM

Anthony is just pissed because he's not Jags or Rahs crutch, like he was Grudens.  He also knows that with K2 in Pewter, he's not the only alpha dog that will be barking to get the damn ball, often...  Shut up AB, take your money and prove you deserve it again next season.....

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 30, 2009, 07:38:44 PM

I don't blame him for being happy but a little bothered. Perfectly natural reaction. However, I still expect him to be a professional and perform like one come the start of the season.

#4 : March 30, 2009, 07:39:58 PM

natural reaction considering the uncertainty at the position upon which his success is dependent.

#5 : March 30, 2009, 07:53:41 PM

Agreed. Interesting that he labeled Gruden as the fall guy for a lot of the team's shortcomings. Maybe a shot at Garcia?

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#6 : March 30, 2009, 08:00:07 PM

It's hard for me to call a 9 Million dollar contract a "prove it" contract. I understand there is no long term security, but look at it this way. What if he would have signed a 2 year, 10 Million Dollar contract last year (Which equates to the same thing). Would he still feel the same way? He's free to walk next year either way if he doesn't like what transpires here...... Which makes me think we might need to grab Percy or another WR that may fall to us in the 1st this year.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 30, 2009, 08:01:53 PM

Agreed. Interesting that he labeled Gruden as the fall guy for a lot of the team's shortcomings. Maybe a shot at Garcia?

That's what happens when you're the head coach. It comes with the job.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 30, 2009, 08:05:49 PM

There is no question that Bryant was a Gruden supporter. He was one of the first to come out publically saying he was shocked at the firing.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 30, 2009, 08:56:11 PM

i dont have a problem with it.  this isnt a TO type rant.  anyone who gets hit with the franchise tag instead of a long term deal is going to be a little frustrated.  i can also see how a WR in a contract year would be concerned about playing with an inexperienced QB.  but if he is a professional and wants to ever get a long term deal either here or elsewhere, he'll need to produce.  Thus, I'm not worreid about this. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 30, 2009, 09:16:43 PM

Not since he said this: "“[But it’s] a one year contract, it’s a ‘prove yourself’ contract, again, and the circumstances for me have gotten a little tighter.  Now I’ve got quarterbacks fighting for opportunities to showcase their talents so the ability that was there last year is gone. " Sounds less like a shot at Garcia than a preemeptive strike if his numbers sag back down.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 30, 2009, 09:22:49 PM

Had to prove himself off the sofa.

And now he has to prove himself because of the 1 year deal, and with a new offense with new QBs.

He needs to turn all this into a positive, as he has shown he can do.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 30, 2009, 09:30:24 PM

With these comments by AB...do you think we should go WR in the first round in case he decides to not resign next year?

Drop back to the NYG's spot, take DHB/Britt/Nicks and then a DE/Brace in the 2nd.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 30, 2009, 09:41:57 PM

With these comments by AB...do you think we should go WR in the first round in case he decides to not resign next year?

Drop back to the NYG's spot, take DHB/Britt/Nicks and then a DE/Brace in the 2nd.

You assume NYG would actually want to trade up to our spot.  If DHB/Britt/Nicks were actually all worth a damn/equal, why would they want to do that?

Making a trade isn't just as simple as we want to trade down so we can....

rcoulter5

Practice Squad

#14 : March 30, 2009, 09:45:31 PM

I have 2 word for AB-- here it comes-- Shut up!!  I'm sorry if I was getting paid 9.4Mil I would say I love the Bucs.  
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the real AB stand up? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools