Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Let's say Russell, Thomas and Johnson are off the board « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
: January 29, 2007, 03:47:33 PM

A
I don't think you can say "What if nobody wants to trade up?" Everybody wants to trade up. It just depends if the price is right. I think we would have to make the price right and trade down a few spots, because we have more pressing needs than a QB.

From everything we know right now, Quinn is the real deal. I think somebody will trade up for him, and it would have to be to 8 or 9 where Houston and Miami could use a QB of the future. Before that you have the Cards and Vikings who already have their QB of the future, and the Skins don't have any more first day picks left to trade.

At that point we can go with Okoye, Adams or Branch, and hopefully pick up an extra 2nd rounder.

A couple of years ago when SF had the #1 pick(which they ended up using on Alex Smith) nobody was willing to trade up with them because the top of the draft that year was considered very weak. Some team would have to be so in love with Brady Quinn to make the move with us.
Nobody was willing to meet the Niners asking price.    The Bucs may have to decide what the minimum they are willing to take to move down 3 to 5 spots.  I would say the minimum would be a pick in the top half of the 2nd round.  But if nobody meets the Bucs asking price, the option is to either not deal or to lower the asking price.

#1 : January 29, 2007, 03:38:09 PM

The weakness Caddy has as a WCO back is that he doesn't catch well, well that is the same problem AP has so that doesn't fix anything.

I'm hoping we can get a decent pass catcher/blocker (like a Kevin Faulk or Michael Pittman ;) ) in the later rounds.

I love the way Pittman has adjusted to his role, but he's getting up there.  For now, we have to trust that Caddy's lack of production this year was simply his being a victim of poor overall offensive play.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#2 : January 31, 2007, 12:00:16 AM

Probably Quinn. I like him and think he will be a good QB in the NFL.

Agree....unless we have plans on getting a good veteran QB to start next season.

#3 : January 29, 2007, 03:34:20 PM

I think you take Branch out of the equation.

#4 : January 29, 2007, 03:33:03 PM

The 7th pick wouldn't be a bad spot to take Okoye and if he's gone, Anderson would most likely be there.

As long as we think the draft is 7 deep in the top tier guys you can do that unless one of your top tier guys in Petersen for example and then you get left holding the bag.

Well, let's see:

Russell
Quinn
CJ
Thomas
Okoye
Anderson
Adams
Branch

There's eight without Peterson who I'm not a big fan of at all..

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 29, 2007, 03:30:14 PM

The real problem with Petersen is that this:

Weaknesses: Durability is the biggest concern. He has been limited by injuries in each of his three collegiate seasons, yet he also has lots of mileage on his legs with 728 carries in the 30 games played to date. He will enter the NFL having already suffered injuries to his shoulder, ankle and collarbone. He is an upright runner who loses some power because he fails to consistently run with good pad-level. He's not overly elusive and won't make many defenders miss in space. He lacks ideal experience in the passing game. Will need polishing as a route-runner and as a blocker.

The weakness Caddy has as a WCO back is that he doesn't catch well, well that is the same problem AP has so that doesn't fix anything.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 29, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

The 7th pick wouldn't be a bad spot to take Okoye and if he's gone, Anderson would most likely be there.

As long as we think the draft is 7 deep in the top tier guys you can do that unless one of your top tier guys in Petersen for example and then you get left holding the bag.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#7 : January 29, 2007, 03:16:38 PM

Of the two QB's I like Russell a lot better than Quinn. But I am not certain how Russell would fair in this offense that Gruden runs. Quinn on the other hand seems to fit Gruden's offensive system. Even assuming Quinn is average that would be good enough for Gruden's offense. But I am really intrigued by what Russell could do in this offense as I can not imagine him being at the very least average at the NFL level. Russell can hit the slants and out routes with ease. Not to mention a killer deep ball and an unbelievable ability to deliver strikes downfield when flushed out of the pocket when defenders ease up in their coverage. Quinn needs to work on his ball placement instead of lobbing it up becuase lobbs turn into INT's at the NFL level. But that is something Gruden can work with Quinn on.

Quinn and Peterson are the best prospects at that spot in the draft. I would be happy with either since we need both positions IMHO. Quinn is an NFL ready WCO quarterback and we badly need that. Peterson, if healthy, was the best RB prospect since Walker as a freshmen. I know everyone will whine about Caddy, but Caddy is an outstanding #2 RB, but a miserable everydown WCO back due his limitations.
RB is not a need, you've proven again and again you're pretty clueless on some subjects.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 28, 2007, 08:37:20 PM

and nobody wants to trade up for our pick (not a completely unrealistic senario), who would you take?

da49erfan

Starter

#9 : January 28, 2007, 08:38:24 PM

hmm, a non-buc fan gets to answer this 1st. if i were in the bucs shoes in that scenerio i would take gaines adams

PirateBooty

Starter

#10 : January 28, 2007, 08:39:32 PM

See sig.

psymun

Starter
#11 : January 28, 2007, 08:44:34 PM

Eddie Murphy's got the idea...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 28, 2007, 08:44:59 PM

See sig.

I'm leaning toward him as well.

#13 : January 28, 2007, 08:45:39 PM

I agree with Eddie.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#14 : January 28, 2007, 08:46:43 PM

Adams/Anderson.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Let's say Russell, Thomas and Johnson are off the board « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools