Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Let's say Russell, Thomas and Johnson are off the board « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

corporal.clegg

Second String

#30 : January 28, 2007, 11:49:59 PM

Okoye or Quinn.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#31 : January 29, 2007, 12:04:41 AM

eddie murphys knows the deal

#32 : January 29, 2007, 02:13:41 AM

What if the Bucs took Okoye in the first and LeMarr Woodley inn the 2nd followed by a huge steal at the end of the 2nd like Meriweather, Rufus or Buster. I'm not as confident anymore that FA will fix the defense and a draft like this would be huge if your looking at the big picture. Then again I'm still in favor of Joe Thomas, and honestly I would love to get CJ, Quinn or Russell.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 29, 2007, 05:02:11 AM

A
I don't think you can say "What if nobody wants to trade up?"  Everybody wants to trade up.  It just depends if the price is right.   I think we would have to make the price right and trade down a few spots, because we have more pressing needs than a QB. 

From everything we know right now, Quinn is the real deal.  I think somebody will trade up for him, and it would have to be to 8 or 9 where Houston and Miami could use a QB of the future.  Before that you have the Cards and Vikings who already have their QB of the future, and the Skins don't have any more first day picks left to trade. 

At that point we can go with Okoye, Adams or Branch, and hopefully pick up an extra 2nd rounder.

A couple of years ago when SF had the #1 pick(which they ended up using on Alex Smith) nobody was willing to trade up with them because the top of the draft that year was considered very weak.   Some team would have to be so in love with Brady Quinn to make the move with us.

watson

Hall of Famer
#34 : January 29, 2007, 05:18:16 AM

Okoye.  The thing that made the Tampa 2 defense work so well in the 96-03 era was pressure up the middle.  It disrupted the QBs ability to step up in the pocket and forced him to move sideways where the DEs were crashing in and the LBs and DBs were lurking downfield waiting for the bad pass to come their way.  When I watched the Sr Bowl practices I saw Okoye pushing the OLman back to where the QB should be or undercutting him and going around him.  Either way, he was getting to where the QB should be and he was getting there quickly.  He may never be the re-incarnation of #99, but he is the closest thing I've seen come into the draft lately.  And as BA said in his end of the year press conference.......the 2 things that were lacking was QB play and getting to the QB.  Okoye is a positive step in correcting one of those problems and I just don't see a lot of options in FA to fill this need.  I actually like him for the 1st pick if Thomas is off the board.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 29, 2007, 08:33:51 AM

Gaines Adams. :D

T

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 29, 2007, 08:37:14 AM

Give me Quinn over any Defensive bust. We need good QB play and a pass rush, and since Gaines Adams is too inconsistent I will go with Brady Quinn since he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 29, 2007, 08:46:46 AM

Quinn
Adams
Anderson (flip flop 'em)

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 29, 2007, 09:09:38 AM

Give me Quinn over any Defensive bust. We need good QB play and a pass rush, and since Gaines Adams is too inconsistent I will go with Brady Quinn since he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

Have any proof that Gaines is inconsistent?  ???

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 29, 2007, 09:21:35 AM

The word on Adams is very, very good. You don't grade out this well being inconsistent

Gaines Adams
DE | (6'4", 261, 4.7) | CLEMSON

Scouts Grade: 98

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good height and only decent bulk -- but room on his frame to get bigger. Very agile for the position. Displays explosive first-step quickness and good top-end speed as an edge rusher. Displays very good instincts and awareness as a pass rusher. Has long arms, times his jumps well and does a great job of batting down passes at the line of scrimmage. He also has shown good fluidity when occasionally asked to drop in coverage on zone blitzes. He has improved his discipline and technique versus the run. Does a fine job of sealing off the backside. He gets upfield quickly and can be disruptive in the backfield versus the run. Also shows very good change-of-direction skills in space, which allows him to redirect and pursue as a run defender. He is a hard worker with solid all-around intangibles.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and lower-body strength. He will need to improve his size in order to consistently take on NFL blockers. He absorbs too many blocks and doesn't do a consistent enough job of disengaging once reached. Needs to play with more consistent leverage versus the run. Has a tendency to come out of his stance too high and will allow linemen to get into his pads too frequently. He needs to become more consistent as a tackler. He will overextend at times and gets caught lunging or leaving his feet too frequently.

Overall: Adams was redshirted in 2002. He saw action in 12 games as a backup defensive end for the 2003 season, registering 15 total tackles, four tackles for loss, and one sack. Adams played in all 11 contests with just one start (Texas A&M) in 2004 but did win Clemson's defensive 12th man award after recording 35 total tackles, eight tackles for loss, five sacks, and two blocked punts. In 2005, he took over as the starting "bandit" DE and made 56 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 29 quarterback pressures, and three forced fumbles. Adams started all 13 games during the 2006 season, finishing with 62 total tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, and three fumble recoveries.

Adams made a wise decision to bypass the 2006 NFL Draft and return for his senior season. He played eight-man football in high school, so he needed the extra time in college to mature both physically and as a player. He still needs to get bigger and do a better job of defending the run, but he has the frame to add at least 15 more pounds and he made noticeable strides in his run-stopping technique during his final season at Clemson. Adams should eventually become a playmaking starter as a 4-3 end in the NFL -- and he also displays enough athletic ability to fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Regardless, Adams grades out as the premier defensive end prospect in the 2007 class and he should come off the board within the top-10 picks.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#40 : January 29, 2007, 09:34:06 AM

The only busts we have had lately are on offense.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 29, 2007, 09:38:17 AM

I'd personally like Okoye. The kid is young, smart, level headed and talented.

Also, if you look at Adams' weaknesses, they're all things that can be coached/fixed. I think that defensively we can't really go too wrong as our D is in shambles. Like someone said earlier, hopefully some of the problem spots are fixed via FA, and the draft will become a little clearer.

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 29, 2007, 09:43:56 AM

Quinn would be the obvious choice for the Bucs staff.  He probably would be the BAP.  On top of that the Bucs could work out a trade after selecting him if they desired as well with another team given they have an agreement in place.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#43 : January 29, 2007, 09:48:03 AM

I'm totally against drafting a bust.  I'll go on record about that right now.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 29, 2007, 09:50:00 AM

Of the two QB's I like Russell a lot better than Quinn.  But I am not certain how Russell would fair in this offense that Gruden runs. Quinn on the other hand seems to fit Gruden's offensive system.  Even assuming Quinn is average that would be good enough for Gruden's offense.  But I am really intrigued by what Russell could do in this offense as I can not imagine him being at the very least average at the NFL level.  Russell can hit the slants and out routes with ease.  Not to mention a killer deep ball and an unbelievable ability to deliver strikes downfield when flushed out of the pocket when defenders ease up in their coverage.  Quinn needs to work on his ball placement instead of lobbing it up becuase lobbs turn into INT's at the NFL level.  But that is something Gruden can work with Quinn on.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Let's say Russell, Thomas and Johnson are off the board « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools