Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 15 Round Mock - Comments Welcome « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JC510

Practice Squad

#15 : April 07, 2009, 12:35:32 PM

3. Welcome to 2009. The RB/RB strategy is dead. Based on the stat projections that I pay for, the VBD method will dictate that I take a WR in the 2nd round; guaranteed.

You're really putting yourself in a hole if you believe this.

TRJ997

Second String

#16 : April 07, 2009, 01:26:27 PM

3. Welcome to 2009. The RB/RB strategy is dead. Based on the stat projections that I pay for, the VBD method will dictate that I take a WR in the 2nd round; guaranteed.

You're really putting yourself in a hole if you believe this.

I played in two $$$ leagues last year. I won the championship in a league where I traded down twice out of the 1st round and drafted WR/WR/QB/WR/RB. I made it to the championship game (but lost) in a league where I drafted RB/WR/WR in the first three rounds. At the end of the season I had the following RBs on at least one of the two rosters: Pierre Thomas, Le'Ron McClain, Cedric Benson, Tashard Choice, and Sammy Morris. All of whom performed like a viable RB1 at least once during the fantasy playoffs. Drafting RB/RB would put me in a hole at the WR position, which is tougher to dig out of because I have to start more WRs than RBs and there aren't as many viable starting options that pop up on the waiver wire throughout the season.

My strategy is to have the best team in week 16, not necessarily in week 1. Drafting WR heavy early reduces my injury risk, increases the bench positions I can use on upside RBs, and gives me studs at WR2 and WR3 where most of the league is weak. I am weak at RB2, but I would be willing to wager that my #2 RB in the championship game will be at least on par with the rest of my league (5th most productive RB2 or better), despite the fact that I waited longer than everyone else to take a 2nd RB. We will have to agree to disagree about which strategy is better, but I will concede that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

kmitchell

Starter

#17 : April 07, 2009, 01:39:48 PM

TRJ, I agree with the strategy you used. I was in a 14 team league last year, and went 11-2 until I went one and done in playoffs. I went Westbrook, Andre, Fitz, Thomas Jones, R White, Burleson, Warner. Everyone was saying how stupid I was for drafting Warner in the 7th, saying he wouldn't even be the starter. I like to get a RB in the 1st, then not draft another until the 5th or later. WR's studs are almost imposssible to find in the waiver wire, and there are new RB's every week to pick up in it. It always seems that the teams that draft 3 RB's in the first 5 rounds always have a very weak WR corp, and never make it to the playoffs.

TRJ997

Second String

#18 : April 07, 2009, 03:39:28 PM

It always seems that the teams that draft 3 RB's in the first 5 rounds always have a very weak WR corp, and never make it to the playoffs.

In a 14 team league, every team is going to have weaknesses. RB and QB are the easiest to cover up with late rounders and waiver pickups. With the avalanche of RBBC, I believe the time has come where WR/WR is the correct strategy assuming you miss out on one of the few golden eggs who gets 350+ touches per year. After that, there's just no way I'm taking Marion Barber in the 2nd when I can get Felix Jones in the 7th. At this point, no one knows which of these back will be more productive. Both will be viable options, but why pay such a premium for one over the other?

With the recent rule changes intended to promote more passing offense, I think we may see a few more viable WR options come off the wire (like Eddie Royal), but nothing compared to RBs.

JC510

Practice Squad

#19 : April 07, 2009, 05:02:57 PM

TRJ, I'm just saying you seem to eliminate guys from your draft list for invalid reasons. There are enough RBs who get yards and TDs, you just have to take them early.

TRJ997

Second String

#20 : April 07, 2009, 09:14:22 PM

I hear what you're saying, JC. I hope to get an early pick, so that I can grab Peterson or Forte and not have to worry about committees. If I get a late pick, I'm probably going WR/WR (hopefully Fitz/Calvin), which will lead to an interesting season if nothing else.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 07, 2009, 10:06:56 PM

You're wasting money on your experts.

PewterReportWH

Starter
#22 : April 07, 2009, 10:56:03 PM

That's what I am here for, lol.

WH

kmitchell

Starter

#23 : April 07, 2009, 11:04:53 PM

Who do you guys think I should target with the 12th pick? I am keeping Warner from last season with my 7th rounder so I don't need to worry about QB at all.

TRJ997

Second String

#24 : April 08, 2009, 09:05:34 AM

Who do you guys think I should target with the 12th pick? I am keeping Warner from last season with my 7th rounder so I don't need to worry about QB at all.

Hijack!

This depends on your starting requirements and scoring system. I would probably go WR/WR Fitz, Calvin, Andre Johnson, are my top guys Randy Moss. After that you might be reaching a little on Steve Smith or Roddy White, but both of them are fine 2nd round picks. If you decide to take a RB, Frank Gore is the only guy I really like in your range. I would snap up Chris Johnson or SJax, but they will both probably be gone. Here's my personal list, which I'm sure will probably change between now and the draft:

Chris Johnson, SJax, Fitz, Calvin, AJ, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Frank Gore, Marion Barber, Steve Slaton

JC510

Practice Squad

#25 : April 08, 2009, 09:31:28 AM

Do you get 12 AND 13? I would go RB/RB if you can get guys like Slaton, Portis, Jacobs.

TRJ997

Second String

#26 : April 08, 2009, 11:27:15 AM

Actually I'm making money on my experts.

kmitchell

Starter

#27 : April 08, 2009, 01:58:25 PM

Do you get 12 AND 13? I would go RB/RB if you can get guys like Slaton, Portis, Jacobs.

I have the 12th and 17th. I really like Slaton and Jacobs, am gonna have to pass on Portis though. Portis is breaking down.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 08, 2009, 05:15:49 PM

you should be able to "make money" without "your experts", therefore you are wasting money on "your experts"

TRJ997

Second String

#29 : April 08, 2009, 06:32:23 PM

you should be able to "make money" without "your experts", therefore you are wasting money on "your experts"

On average, I would finish markedly worse in my leagues if I didn't have my experts, so paying for them is a sound financial investment. I don't play fantasy for the money, though. I play for the championships.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 15 Round Mock - Comments Welcome « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools