Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Amobi Okoye and Antonio Johnson « previous next »
Page: 1

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

: January 29, 2007, 06:04:42 PM

We had a first hand look at Amobi and i'm sure if Monte see's a young Warren Sapp in the kid then drafting him at 3 or 4 isn't a reach.  It looked to me like Antonio Johnson might be the second best 3 tech in this draft, so if we decide to draft CJ in the 1st let's hope Antonio is there in the 2nd.  I have to say Patrick Willis from Ole Miss looked like a beast as well, if he falls into the second round I would'nt be suprised if we nabbed him with our first 2nd round pick either.

#1 : January 29, 2007, 06:18:20 PM

He's a day two pick.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 29, 2007, 07:53:22 PM

Antonio would not be a bad early day two pick.

Welcome2TBCalvinJ

Practice Squad

#3 : January 29, 2007, 08:00:01 PM

Yeah, he can backup Wyms. Wyms will be healthy next year. He has potential to be a good.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/antoniojohnson.html

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 30, 2007, 03:13:14 AM

After a good showing at the Senior Bowl I doubt Antonio makes it out of the second round...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 30, 2007, 03:21:58 AM

How much stock do you place in the Senior Bowl?

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#6 : January 30, 2007, 03:30:18 AM

More stock than I'd place on a no contact combine which is focuses more on numbers and less on the hands on knowledge the coaches and scouts get at the Senior Bowl.  I think 14 first rounders came out of the Senior Bowl last season. 

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 30, 2007, 12:20:56 PM

What about focusing a bit on his body of work at State. I don't even think he was a starter for them this year.

marlevr

Second String
#8 : January 30, 2007, 12:41:34 PM

More stock than I'd place on a no contact combine which is focuses more on numbers and less on the hands on knowledge the coaches and scouts get at the Senior Bowl.  I think 14 first rounders came out of the Senior Bowl last season. 

Make that 15.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 30, 2007, 01:01:36 PM

Not a big combine fan either, although some of the short shuttle drills, and 20 yard times are important in measuring explosivness in some players where speed isn;t required, but quickness is.

And the Senior Bowl is nice, but I'd rather encompass an entire collegiate career, rather than put too much stock in one game that has the players hanging out for less than a month.

marlevr

Second String
#10 : January 30, 2007, 01:12:24 PM

Like Vermeil said during the Senior Bowl, teams put together a file of about 50 college plays, senior bowl footage, combine workouts, pro-days workouts and interviews for each prospect. They look at the entire picture but you also have momentum and buzz. Okoye is a great example, just like Cutler last year. I heard that Adams and Landry shouldn't have missed the game, their stock is down now.

One thing I don't understand is how a player can be so good at college ball and then come to the senior bowl and struggle during drills, even showing weak technique. Do they go past college on athletic ability alone? Are the NFL type drills new to them and too difficult? 

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 30, 2007, 01:15:20 PM

One thing I don't understand is how a player can be so good at college ball and then come to the senior bowl and struggle during drills, even showing weak technique. Do they go past college on athletic ability alone? Are the NFL type drills to new to them?
Could be alot of things. My main guess would be their level of competition. The Senior Bowl encompasses the best of the bets at every position. Even in the tougher conferences it's rare you see teams stacked at eveyr position, plus there is tons of pressure to perform.

#12 : January 30, 2007, 03:57:59 PM

After a good showing at the Senior Bowl I doubt Antonio makes it out of the second round...

Using that logic, Moore ought to be a first rounder.

http://www.seniorbowl.com/2007/2007seniorbowlstats.htm

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#13 : January 31, 2007, 12:45:40 PM

Using that logic, Moore ought to be a first rounder.

http://www.seniorbowl.com/2007/2007seniorbowlstats.htm

He definately helped himself. .

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 31, 2007, 12:46:30 PM

Johnson is really being touted by alot of the teams that run the 3-4.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Amobi Okoye and Antonio Johnson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools