Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You want a DT? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 07, 2009, 12:58:32 PM

The best scheme in the world won't help a talentless player become anything more than he is. I whole-heartedly agree with Boid. What we have now is not going to stop anybody from running up the gut. we have a bunch of gap-fillers, but no real strength. I like Hovan's heart, I just wish he could lend some of it to Sims..

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 07, 2009, 01:16:57 PM

I disagree with that. All Bates wants his tackles to do is engage and control one gap. Hovan has been tacking on double teams ever since he came to Tampa. He ll be able to take on a G and hold the line of scrimmage. Dre Moore and Greg Peterson are big (305+ lb) and strong and will do fine in a rotation with a draft pick and Sims.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 07, 2009, 01:26:00 PM

Size doesn't mean strength. Sims isn't going to start magically holding ground because the scheme is different, OL's effortlessly pushed him into the secondary on run plays last year. And Dre Moore hasn't played a down, what's that expectation all about?

#33 : April 07, 2009, 04:43:14 PM

We saw last year how Carolina just ran over our small DL and pushed our DL arond like rag dolls

I would be ok with a guy like Jerry....if we would have got a guy the size of a Haynesworth to line up next to him

But to expect him to come in here and be this force against the run for 16 weeks is just not accurate....his play verses the run is his detriment at OLE' Miss why all of a sudden will a light go off in his head now?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 07, 2009, 06:26:33 PM

Lets wait till next year to get our guy

So you want to wait on DT but get a "playmaking" WR this year? Ummm, yeah. There's a Harvin type in almost every draft- heck there's a better version of him called Jeremy Macklin THIS year.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 07, 2009, 06:36:25 PM

I prefer Ziggy Hood over Jerry. Little bigger, but plays a lot stronger. Quick learner, never quits. JMO.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 07, 2009, 06:37:32 PM

I prefer Ziggy Hood over Jerry. Little bigger, but plays a lot stronger. Quick learner, never quits. JMO.

I agree with that.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 07, 2009, 06:46:14 PM

I agree with that.
Me, too.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

pancake block

Starter

#38 : April 07, 2009, 07:22:57 PM

count me in on that but....not at 19

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 07, 2009, 08:04:32 PM

count me in on that but....not at 19

I'd rather reach for a guy who is a good fit (i.e. Davin Joseph) than get a guy who's a poor fit because of his value (i.e. Caddy)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 07, 2009, 08:05:54 PM

I'd rather a coach be flexible, and play his schemes to the strengths of his players.

Being rigid is a glaring weakness IMO.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#41 : April 07, 2009, 08:56:57 PM

I agree with that.
Me, too.

Me three.

I never got on Jerry's hype-wagon.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 07, 2009, 09:55:03 PM

Size doesn't mean strength. Sims isn't going to start magically holding ground because the scheme is different, OL's effortlessly pushed him into the secondary on run plays last year.

Sims was shooting gaps last season.

or taking on double teams when he played nose.

He's going to be engaging almost heads up this season.

Completely changes things.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 07, 2009, 09:57:10 PM

I'd rather a coach be flexible, and play his schemes to the strengths of his players.

Being rigid is a glaring weakness IMO.

Agreed.

Thats why I, among others, though Jim Bates career as a DC was over after his horrible half-season stint in Denver.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#44 : April 07, 2009, 10:01:30 PM

I agree with that.
Me, too.

Me three.

I never got on Jerry's hype-wagon.
I still think Jerry is a good prospect, but for a different defense.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You want a DT? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools