Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Potential draft crisis « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Pick6

Hall of Famer
: April 07, 2009, 01:15:50 PM

I would love to see that happen. Or better yet, Detroit passes and then KC does the same thing. This will put pressure on the league and the NFLPA to add a rookie salary cap (like the NBA).

Yep.  That would be great.   (God knows the Glazers would love it.)

i also would love to not see jamarcus russell make the same amount of money as drew brees ($60 mil over 6 years, and JR actually has MORE guaranteed), just because he was good in college

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 07, 2009, 09:16:15 AM

From PFT

Interesting situation.

Could it realistically happen?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/07/league-says-lions-can-pass-on-the-first-pick/

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

original

Pro Bowler

#2 : April 07, 2009, 09:22:18 AM

This is the same thing Mike Tice did up in Minnesota except that it wasn't the number 1 pick.  Of course, his was due to incompetence, not planning.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 07, 2009, 09:24:23 AM

This draft does stink at the top.   I wouldnt be surprised to see them purposely slide down a bit to save money and still get the same player.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 07, 2009, 09:48:33 AM

I would love to see that happen. Or better yet, Detroit passes and then KC does the same thing. This will put pressure on the league and the NFLPA to add a rookie salary cap (like the NBA).

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 07, 2009, 09:58:56 AM

Yep.  That would be great.   (God knows the Glazers would love it.)

#6 : April 07, 2009, 10:34:40 AM

the very premise is stupid.  that article is garbage.  Detroit would trade the first pick before wasting it. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 07, 2009, 10:41:10 AM

To be honest I have to agree with FloridaNative for once ( :o ).  Detroit simply could trade down by taking significantly less value instead of simply doing nothing if they need to move down in a worst case scenario.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 07, 2009, 10:42:56 AM

You don't waste it, you can use it at anytime. They could sit there as long as they like as long as they send their card up whenever. It'd be interesting to see all the top teams sitting about not making a pick.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#9 : April 07, 2009, 10:44:39 AM

They should just take advantage of their position. They can negotiate contracts, just let the agents for Smith, Monroe, Stafford, and Curry know that if the easiest one to sign will be the 1st pick, then they know who actually wants to be on the team and who doesn't.

watson

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 07, 2009, 10:47:21 AM

To be honest I have to agree with FloridaNative for once ( :o ). Detroit simply could trade down by taking significantly less value instead of simply doing nothing if they need to move down in a worst case scenario.

ADW,
The problem is.....based on numerous reports......no one wants the number 1 pick.  Teams don't won't to incur the cost involved and from all accounts Detroit is getting no calls asking about the pick.  Of course this could all be a smoke screen, but with all the money problems being reported around the NFL I can see where it might be true.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Balls Out

Starter
#11 : April 07, 2009, 10:48:46 AM

the very premise is stupid. that article is garbage. Detroit would trade the first pick before wasting it.

Your premise is stupid, nobody wants the #1 pick (including Detroit) so trading the pick is not an option...

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"

nhbucsfan

Second String

#12 : April 07, 2009, 11:17:38 AM

If I remember correctly, WIlliams' agent tried to argue that he should be paid the value of the pick that he would have been taken by the Vikings.
It wasn't Williams fault that the Vikings messed up, in their eyes. He was supposed to be their pick anyway.

Don't think that any agent would not try this with the Lions if they fell down a spot.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 07, 2009, 11:28:38 AM

I doubt if a team has ever deliberately let the clock run out. If other teams following know who they want, it could be highly entertaining to see them all racing to get their card up before Detroit could get their pick in. The media would have a field day  ;D

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 07, 2009, 11:40:15 AM

As some have pointed out, it doesn't make sense to trade the pick. Detroit could simply wait until the value of their pick was more in line with what they have to offer and then send in their card.

I think it would be entertaining for sure and it would send a message, I suppose, but I also think there's little chance of it happening.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Potential draft crisis « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools