Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How can we NOT want this guy at #19 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

: April 07, 2009, 04:44:35 PM

I don't care what school he went to.
I don't care how many games he's missed to injuries.
I don't care that he's had a few off the field issues.
I don't care that we already have AB, K2, and Clayton.
I don't care that we need defensive players. (the rest of the draft can all be defense as far as I'm concerned)

He could very well have a Steve Smith type impact on the Bucs and I would hate to see any other team in our division pick him. I think that he is better than DeSean Jackson, and we know how he turned out for the Eagles. If he is there, we have to pick him.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#1 : April 07, 2009, 04:47:52 PM

I think we should take him too. He would be a tremendous weapon to add to the offense.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 07, 2009, 04:49:07 PM

I'm not a real draftnik or a guy who spends a LOT of time watching UF football. So please pardon this ignorant (and serious) question:

How does Percy Harvin compare to Jacquez Green with JG was coming into the draft?

Larry Brackins

Starter
#3 : April 07, 2009, 04:50:41 PM

No.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 07, 2009, 04:50:56 PM

He could very well have a Steve Smith type impact on the Bucs and I would hate to see any other team in our division pick him.
Both New Orleans and Atlanta have more than enough receivers, and Carolina doesn't have a 1st round pick. No one else in the division is going to pick him.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 07, 2009, 04:52:37 PM

People act like he missed half a season every year when he didn't miss a lot of time beause of them.
And his heel is fine he got surgery on it and the reaosn he messed up his ankle against the Seminoles was because it was monsoon weather and that's bad news for anyone on a field.
As for the off field issues he didn't have any at Florida and didn't do anything dumb to have people question his character.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#6 : April 07, 2009, 04:56:24 PM

He could very well have a Steve Smith type impact on the Bucs and I would hate to see any other team in our division pick him.
Both New Orleans and Atlanta have more than enough receivers, and Carolina doesn't have a 1st round pick. No one else in the division is going to pick him.

At least that's what your hoping.

I can just see on some third downs, having he and Peanut in the game along with AB, K2, Ward, and Graham...that would be sick!!!

#7 : April 07, 2009, 04:57:38 PM

I'm not a real draftnik or a guy who spends a LOT of time watching UF football. So please pardon this ignorant (and serious) question:

How does Percy Harvin compare to Jacquez Green with JG was coming into the draft?

Not comparable. The florida offense was centered on Harvin's ability's. Stopping Percy was/is imperative to beating the Gates. Jacquez was just a decent (smallish/fast) wide receiver playing in a pass happy Spurrier offense. He was a good player but his abilities were not on par (or even close) to what Percy brings.

devasher

Starter
#8 : April 07, 2009, 04:58:37 PM

Not to mention Florida WR's don't have the best success rate. But I agree, if the kid is available to you at 19 you take him unless you're sure he's going to flame out in the pro's due to a lack of work ethic etc.

He's a game changer and unlike the starters for the current incarnation of the Bucs he would very likely be with the team in 5-10 years and still be productive.

As far as the JG comparison which is likely and only due to Speed, and School, I can't recall Quezzie taking too many handoffs up the gut. The systems that were ran are completely different and unlike Spurrier, Urban Myer hasn't exactly created this mirage for his WR's going into the NFL. If Harvin goes in the round one, he would be Myers first pass catcher to do so.

All this makes me sad since I'm a FSU alum as well :(

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 07, 2009, 04:59:17 PM

1. Green was only the #1 receiver for one season. Most of his career he was the #3. Harvin was UF's biggest playmaker for 3 years.

2. Green, at 5' 10" 170 lbs, was not strong enough to handle press coverage. Harvin is 5' 11" 190 lbs is ripped and as a part time running back is not afraid of contact. He frequently just bounces off would be tackles.

3. Green was a bit of a straight line runner. Harvin has the quickest hips in the game and can change direction at near full speed.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 07, 2009, 05:01:48 PM

Too compare Harvin to Florida receivers of past isn't fair; But I am curious to see what is gonna happen to this board if we don't draft him!!!  8)

devasher

Starter
#11 : April 07, 2009, 05:03:16 PM

I'd also add that Harvin was a 5 star prospect coming out of HS so he's definitely not a "system guy."

He has more eerie similarities to Reggie Bush than anyone else I can think of off the top of my head. Bush hasn't translated as well as anyone expected, but he's serviceable. I'd consider Harvin to have Bush-like or better production as a WR.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 07, 2009, 05:04:12 PM

Al Davis will have the first say.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#13 : April 07, 2009, 05:04:20 PM

Too compare Harvin to Florida receivers of past isn't fair; But I am curious to see what is gonna happen to this board if we don't draft him!!! 8)

I wont be mad if we dont draft him. It will show their confidence in the WRs we have now. Im not expecting us to pick him. I think we go defense. If it were my decision, I would take him no question.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 07, 2009, 05:06:50 PM

Too compare Harvin to Florida receivers of past isn't fair; But I am curious to see what is gonna happen to this board if we don't draft him!!! 8)

I wont be mad if we dont draft him. It will show their confidence in the WRs we have now. Im not expecting us to pick him. I think we go defense. If it were my decision, I would take him no question.

If we did go receiver in the first Harvin wouldn't be my choice; but yeah in the end I think we go defense unless one of those elite prospects have a Quinn type fall.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How can we NOT want this guy at #19 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools