Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How can we NOT want this guy at #19 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

TbayBucs

Pro Bowler

#15 : April 07, 2009, 05:14:04 PM

Im definately not opposed to picking Harvin at #19 but I just think we have too many holes on our defense to pass on a defensive player at the 19 spot.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#16 : April 07, 2009, 05:20:55 PM

Im definately not opposed to picking Harvin at #19 but I just think we have too many holes on our defense to pass on a defensive player at the 19 spot.

We are not going to fill a defensive void with one first round pick. It is going to have to be over several picks. Going with Percy at #19 makes good sense, with the doubt that AB might not be back next year.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 07, 2009, 05:21:34 PM

Because he didn't go to Northern Illinois like Larry English! Do the right thing Mark, pick the NIU stud. :)

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 07, 2009, 05:22:28 PM

I'd also add that Harvin was a 5 star prospect coming out of HS so he's definitely not a "system guy."

He has more eerie similarities to Reggie Bush than anyone else I can think of off the top of my head. Bush hasn't translated as well as anyone expected, but he's serviceable. I'd consider Harvin to have Bush-like or better production as a WR.
The problem with Bush is that he is a bouncer and you can do it all you want in college but in the NFL  you have to find the hole and go, which he hasn't been very good at doing yet.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

Madman

Hall of Famer
#19 : April 07, 2009, 05:27:00 PM

I'm not a real draftnik or a guy who spends a LOT of time watching UF football. So please pardon this ignorant (and serious) question:

How does Percy Harvin compare to Jacquez Green with JG was coming into the draft?
1. Green was only the #1 receiver for one season. Most of his career he was the #3. Harvin was UF's biggest playmaker for 3 years (with 2 rings).

2. Green, at 5' 10" 170 lbs, was not strong enough to handle press coverage. Harvin is 5' 11" 190 lbs is ripped and as a part time running back is not afraid of contact. He frequently just bounces off would be tackles.

3. Green was a bit of a straight line runner. Harvin has the quickest hips in the game and can change direction at near full speed.

Spot on!!

gypsie

Starter

#20 : April 07, 2009, 05:27:58 PM

I'm not a real draftnik or a guy who spends a LOT of time watching UF football. So please pardon this ignorant (and serious) question:

How does Percy Harvin compare to Jacquez Green with JG was coming into the draft?

Harvin 5-11 190lbs 2500 total yards his last year at UF
Green 5-9 170 lbs 1100 total yards his last year at UF

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 07, 2009, 05:28:39 PM

DRAFT HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 07, 2009, 05:41:04 PM

I don't care he didn't produce in college.
I don't care he is in a wheel chair.
I don't care that he doesn't even like the game of football. 
I don't care that he is legally blind.
I don't care that he can't grasp a football.
I don't care he is a parapalegic.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 07, 2009, 05:42:43 PM

Harvin 5-11 190lbs 2500 total yards his last year at UF
Green 5-9 170 lbs 1100 total yards his last year at UF
To make it easy.
Percy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Green

Formerly known as Revis Islander

#24 : April 07, 2009, 05:52:53 PM

Like I have said before...its not Percy its where he is from

These same people will be against Tebow next year...and say "He is another Jared Lorenzen"

If Harvin was a Cane/Nole/Bull people here would be falling all over themselves

Its more about the blue jersey and the orange helmet than the kid

If Jeremy Maclin was available at 19 I bet the majority of these people would be fine with a First RD WR

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#25 : April 07, 2009, 05:54:25 PM

Well like Monte used to say....it's on tape!

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#26 : April 07, 2009, 05:58:55 PM

Percy reminds me of Allen Iverson. This is not to mention that they are from the same area in Virginia that turns out studs athletes. They are both smaller players that plays much bigger than they are and with heart. If Percy's career can be anything like Allen's...wow!

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#27 : April 07, 2009, 06:04:33 PM

I think Percy can be a good player, if he goes to a place where he is given time. He is not half the router runner that Hakeem Nicks is, and he will probably never be as fluid in his breaks. I'm also very concerned about his flexibility; with the bulk he has added each year he doesn't seem to have balanced with flexibility and that is why he has had injury problems. People want to compare him to Steve Smith, and he does have the speed and the physicality, but Steve Smith is also one of the most flexible players I have ever seen. I've seen the guy practically touch his elbows to his toes while sitting with straight legs.

Hakeem Nicks should and will be drafted before Percy Harvin. Harvin's contributions will be limited early in his career.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 07, 2009, 06:06:32 PM

I think Percy can be a good player, if he goes to a place where he is given time. He is not half the router runner that Hakeem Nicks is, and he will probably never be as fluid in his breaks. I'm also very concerned about his flexibility; with the bulk he has added each year he doesn't seem to have balanced with flexibility and that is why he has had injury problems. People want to compare him to Steve Smith, and he does have the speed and the physicicality, but Steve Smith is also one of the most flexible players I have ever seen. I've seen the guy practically touch his elbows to his toes while sitting with straight legs.

Hakeem Nicks should and will be drafted before Percy Harvin. Harvin's contributions will be limited early in his career.

I like Nicks;  but Harvin will get drafted before Hakeem. I still believe Hakeem will be the best receiver from this draft class.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 07, 2009, 06:11:56 PM

So basically you do not care about the 100 good reasons to not draft the guy.  He made high light real plays aginst college kids so that means he has to translate to the NFL.  How has the worked out for Bush?  Harvin is not even as good as Bush.  The bottom line is that the team has more pressing needs than a luxury pick like Harvin.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How can we NOT want this guy at #19 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools