Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DE question « previous next »
Page: 1

goonie4

Practice Squad

: April 08, 2009, 09:44:39 PM

First, I acknowledge that we need a much better pass rush this season than last, but now that i think about it, to me Bates system will allow more pressure with the DE's we currently have!  IMO the more important need is DT as a rotation with wilkerson and white opposite gaines should suffice with the added blitz packages from bates system.  So my question is if we cant trade down which I hope we can, what is wrong with reaching for ziggy or brace and not drafting a higher value pick such as english or johnson??  The old regime reached often, but it has worked out well IMO, and i dont want to hear anything on Dexter because who knows what he can do at WR!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 08, 2009, 10:01:22 PM

I for one do not believe Hood would be much of a reach at #19. On paper he has everything you want. Good size, great speed, great strength, great effort, and wasn't carried by a bunch of talented teammates. However Brace would be a tremendous reach. Yeah, Brace is big and strong, but he was the slowest defensive tackle invited to the Combine by far. Every other DT was at least .25 seconds faster in his 40. I just don't see why he is considered any better than Chris Baker, Sammie Lee Hill or any of the other jumbo DT's. Unfortunately he has all the makings of a Ryan Sims living off a more talented teammate.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 08, 2009, 10:15:33 PM

One should not be looking at a defensive linemans forty time as an indicator, you need to look at there 10 yard and short shuttle times. Here is a good read on the forty vs the short shuttle

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/rock040609.htm

also, Hood had the best 10 yard of any defensive tackle in the up coming draft with a 1.62

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 08, 2009, 10:33:38 PM

One should not be looking at a defensive linemans forty time as an indicator, you need to look at there 10 yard and short shuttle times. Here is a good read on the forty vs the short shuttle

You also look at the broad jump since what it tests are the "explosive" muscles that you use to penetrate into gaps and get around offensive linemen.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DE question « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools