Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jimmy Wilkerson and Gaines Adams? « previous next »
Page: 1

kjbugman

Starter

: April 09, 2009, 04:51:04 PM

Okay people so they have an article about Jimmy having a bigger role.
If you had to predict the amount of sacks each of these guys would have what would u see?

I am hoping for this:
Gaines Adams > or = 10

Jimmy Wilkerson > or = 8

What do you guys say?
That is IF these end up being our top two edge rushers. If we get Johnson or Jackson I'm looking for them to get 6+ sacks

BIG MAC AND BIG SACK!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 09, 2009, 06:05:08 PM

Adams has never had 10, never sniffed 10. He's been 6 and 6.5 so I'd guess he's going to be about 6. Wilkerson is 28, his 5 last year were better than his 5 previous. I'm guessing he reverts back closer to his norm and does about 3 or 4.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

goonie4

Practice Squad

#2 : April 09, 2009, 07:03:04 PM

With the increase of blitzes in Bates system and depending on if we get an impact DT, i can see it going:

Gaines --> 11.0
Wilkerson --> 6.5
White --> 4.5

Then a couple for Rudd and other lb's

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 09, 2009, 07:39:31 PM

I see Gaines getting around 7 or 8.  But more importantly, he had best be making the QB move around a bit...the pressure is more important to me.  The sack is HIS reward. 

#4 : April 09, 2009, 09:02:32 PM

Unless Gaines developes another move and some upper body strength, he will have no more than the 6 he's averaged.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 09, 2009, 09:03:42 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 9.5 for Adams and 7 for Wilkerson.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 09, 2009, 09:07:49 PM

Unless Gaines developes another move, he will have no more than the 6 he's averaged.
He threw out some wicked spin moves.  One game, the announcer was praising his game, as did I.

To me, it shows development.  Understanding.

It'll happen.  The kid has a nice burst, he has good speed.  I think the man will be succesful this season.  He might be the only one, however...

Just so he tightens his pursuit angle, and throws that spin more, he should make the QB sweat, and hopefully alter his passing.  Like I said, the sack is nice, but the ability to pur pressure is more important.  Sacks are rare.  You consider how many snaps a guy plays, and how many sacks he gets, and average that out, and it is rather punt.  But being able to consistently harass a passer is the vital issue! :)

#7 : April 10, 2009, 08:04:16 AM

I think the new system is going to allow for 10+ sacks for Adams this year.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 10, 2009, 08:35:28 AM

How is the same thing we did last year with the DE's but less pressure from the DT's gonna help Adams out?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#9 : April 10, 2009, 08:55:39 AM

2000 Miami Dolphins - Trace Armstrong 16.5 Sacks, Jason Taylor 14.5 Sacks
2001 Miami Dolphins - Jason Taylor 8.5 Sacks, Daryl Gardener 4 Sacks
2002 Miami Dolphins - Jason Taylor 18.5 Sacks, Adewale Ogunleye 9.5 Sacks
2003 Miami Dolphins - Jason Taylor 13 Sacks, Adewale Ogunleye 15 Sacks
2004 Miami Dolphins - Jason Taylor 9.5 Sacks, David Bowens 7 Sacks
2005 Green Bay Packers - Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila 8 Sacks, Aaron Kampman 6.5 Sacks
2007 Denver Broncos- Elvis Dumervil 12.5 Sacks, John Engelberger 1 Sack

I was hoping my point would be that with Bates we should expected much more, but seeing the numbers that is not necessarily the case. Started the post, so figured I'd finish it though.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#10 : April 10, 2009, 09:45:33 AM

There's got to be some more improvements made on the DL, Gaines is good enough to be a 10 sack player but has never played with anything more than an average lineman at best on the Bucs. Put him on some better DL in the league or with a defense that didn't get so few pass attempts on it and he would probably get more sacks.

#11 : April 10, 2009, 09:47:51 AM

How is the same thing we did last year with the DE's but less pressure from the DT's gonna help Adams out?

Man coverage (vs zone) on the wideouts and TE's (assuming we have the personnel to do it.)   Odds are the QB is going to have to hold that ball for an extra .5 or 1 second.  Gaines, in the old system was always (at least it seemed to me) about .5 second too late.

That and the way they have split the coaching staff for the dline (DE Coach and DT Coach) should give Gaines and (insert name here) more coaching to help him to fully develop some of those pass rush moves that we began to see towards the latter part of last year.

ALong13

Pro Bowler
#12 : April 10, 2009, 10:26:35 AM

I'm saying Adams will improve every year in the system, this year he gets 8 sacks, Wilkerson 6, White, 5...I agree with someone previous saying that I'd be happy with just pressure to the QB forcing him to make careless mistakes...

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jimmy Wilkerson and Gaines Adams? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools