Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mel Kiper said Malcolm Jenkins stock is falling « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 12, 2009, 12:48:35 PM

the 3rd isn't where you usually find starting quality cover corners unless you get lucky.  And we need another starter.
While we need another starting corner, we don't need a #1 corner. We already have the guy to cover Roddy White. Now we only need someone to cover Michael Jenkins. Chances are we won't have to use a 1st round pick on that.

With Bates scheme I do not think you can get away with that.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#16 : April 12, 2009, 12:56:23 PM

Coye Francies.

His stock is all over the place as some consider him a riser while this link underneath consider him a faller.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11588632
Yeah I read that, kind of concerns me a little bit.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 12, 2009, 03:54:54 PM

OSU corners usually turn out pretty good.

This is always a ridiculous argument.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 12, 2009, 04:29:02 PM

Jenkins is a football player first and foremost he isn't going to wow anyone with his forty times or athletic abilities, but what he brings is the physical and mental capacity to compete at corner in the NFL. Everyone is so caught up with what a player runs or does at the combine that the game film doesn't matter as much as it used to which is why there are more first round bust then in the 1970's & 80"s as players were drafted based on the production they showed on the field.

"The one thing that the combine and pro day doesn't prove is if you're a player on the field," Jenkins said in a recent phone interview. "I think my film shows that. That's pretty much all I want to get across to teams. I'm not going to tell everybody that I'm a 4.3 guy who can jump high and do this and that, because that�s not who I am. I'm a football player and I think it shows on the football field." Source: Middletown Journal.com

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 12, 2009, 04:39:19 PM

Why?  OSU must have a good DB coach.  There is at least 6 or more starting DB in the NFL from this school.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 12, 2009, 05:07:12 PM

Why?  OSU must have a good DB coach.  There is at least 6 or more starting DB in the NFL from this school.

It's the same as saying USC QB's turn out good, Penn State RB's suck, Florida WR's suck, Florida State DE's suck.  Using that argument is ridiculous on both sides of the coin because where they went to college doesn't have the same bearing as the skills of the player in the NFL.

leeroyselmon07

Starter

#21 : April 12, 2009, 05:37:33 PM

if jenkins is there you draft him

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 12, 2009, 06:33:49 PM

the 3rd isn't where you usually find starting quality cover corners unless you get lucky. �And we need another starter.
While we need another starting corner, we don't need a #1 corner. We already have the guy to cover Roddy White. Now we only need someone to cover Michael Jenkins. Chances are we won't have to use a 1st round pick on that.

Bates' scheme dictates you have one big time corner, instead of zero, not two. Having two big time corners is gravy, but not a necessity. As I said all you need is a guy to cover Michael Jenkins while Talib is covering Roddy White.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 12, 2009, 07:13:06 PM

Possibly as low as the bottom of round 1
Because of his 40 time and the lack of definite position in the NFL. If this guys falls to us, do we take him?
He is the best CB in this draft at jamming and can step up and play the run. We need another Corner opposite of Talib for the future and with the lack of Qbs worth the #19. I would be all over it.

what does jenkins do better than vontae davis?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 12, 2009, 07:50:47 PM

more disciplined on the field.  Size is a wash.  Davis is more athletic.  Both are physical.  Both can jam receivers well.  Jenkins is more experienced and has better ball skills.  And even though he doesn't have great 40 time he is rarely ever beat deep.  Plays a lot faster than his 40 suggest.  MJ also has better attitude and is more coachable.  I'd be ok with either but Jenkins would be a safer pick IMO.  And I'll repeat this agian:  every year or other year OSU has produced a 1st round talent in the defensive backfield and for the most part they have panned out in the NFL.  They must be doing something right.  Since the draft is just a crapshoot anyways might as well go with the hot hand.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 12, 2009, 08:49:26 PM

this seems like a pretty fair analysis of him.

Malcolm Jenkins - CB - Ohio State

Name: Malcolm Jenkins
College: Ohio State
Conference: Big 10
Number: 2
Position: CB
Draft Year: 09
Year: 4Sr

Height Weight Round 40 Rank O Rank
 6-0  204  1st  4.55    0

Bio

Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his sophomore campaign. Named several all-America teams the past two seasons, and honored with the Thorpe Award as a senior. Senior totals included 57/3/9 after 47/4/3 as a junior. Sophomore totals included 55 tackles and four interceptions.

Positives

Nice-sized shutdown cornerback with an array of skill. Fluid pedaling in reverse, can flip his hips transitioning to run with receivers, and positions himself to defend the throw. Stays with receivers out from their breaks, has a nice move to the ball, and shows an explosive burst out of his plant to the action. Gets vertical in mid-air to defend the throw, and also displays good hands for the interception. Works well with safeties, and displays a good sense of timing as well as anticipation.

Negatives

Prone to falling asleep on occasion, slow responding to receivers’ moves and at times seems to be struggling locating the pass in the air. Lacks the top and speed. Ran poorly at the combine.

Analysis

Jenkins is a solid athlete and a cornerback rarely challenged by opposing signal callers. He has all the tools to be a productive starter at the next level, and while his poor performance at the combine could drop him as many as six slots, we fully expect Jenkins to be a starter in the NFL by the end of his rookie campaign.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 12, 2009, 08:56:05 PM

the 3rd isn't where you usually find starting quality cover corners unless you get lucky. �And we need another starter.

Bates' scheme dictates you have one big time corner, instead of zero, not two. Having two big time corners is gravy, but not a necessity. As I said all you need is a guy to cover Michael Jenkins while Talib is covering Roddy White.
he had two good ones in Miami.

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
#27 : April 12, 2009, 09:17:22 PM

Possibly as low as the bottom of round 1
Because of his 40 time and the lack of definite position in the NFL. If this guys falls to us, do we take him?
He is the best CB in this draft at jamming and can step up and play the run. We need another Corner opposite of Talib for the future and with the lack of Qbs worth the #19. I would be all over it.

what does jenkins do better than vontae davis?

Shows up for big games....

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 12, 2009, 09:24:03 PM

Shows up for big games....

PR states thats an attribute of davis as well...

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#29 : April 12, 2009, 10:01:11 PM

more disciplined on the field.  Size is a wash.  Davis is more athletic.  Both are physical.  Both can jam receivers well.  Jenkins is more experienced and has better ball skills.  And even though he doesn't have great 40 time he is rarely ever beat deep.  Plays a lot faster than his 40 suggest.

Who was the best receiver he played against and shut down this season?

He played faster against lesser competition.  The timed speed is important for a CB...more so than a RB/WR.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mel Kiper said Malcolm Jenkins stock is falling « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools