Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For All of You Dungy Defenders, Defend THIS... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13

matt

Starter

: January 31, 2007, 06:07:01 AM

Dungy does have one regret. He insists he should've never fired offensive coordinator Mike Shula, who was dismissed at the Pro Bowl after the Bucs' 11-6 loss to the St. Louis Rams in the NFC Championship Game that ended the '99 season.

Dungy called it "the biggest mistake I ever made in coaching, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have done it." When it was pointed out that he didn't have a choice, he said: "I had a choice. I could've quit and I probably should have."

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/31/Bucs/Dungy_s_only_Bucs_reg.shtml

If anybody can defend this nonsense, I'm more than willing to listen. I think this is pretty much indefensible though. We all know that Shula HAD to go.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 31, 2007, 07:17:24 AM

I dont know about you people but I'm SO over the whole dungy/gruden BS that I could throw up! Great for Dungy....................

"The past is for cowards. You live in the past you die in the past"

Ditka, coors light commercial-

Baghead #2

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#2 : January 31, 2007, 07:28:19 AM

I am over it as well, whats done is done.

Badbud8

Second String

#3 : January 31, 2007, 07:33:35 AM

It is easy to talk big AFTER the Fact,,,,,He was NOT going to give up his job for Mike Schula. He Did Not and he was Not going down that road.

#4 : January 31, 2007, 07:46:39 AM

I have never been a bigger Chicago Bear fan than I am these two weeks

corporal.clegg

Second String

#5 : January 31, 2007, 08:52:18 AM

I admire Dungy, thankful for what he did in Tampa, and I will be cheering for him this weekend......BUT I am sick to death about hearing about him on BUCCS message boards.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 31, 2007, 08:55:36 AM

It is easy to talk big AFTER the Fact,,,,,He was NOT going to give up his job for Mike Schula. He Did Not and he was Not going down that road.

Well, the original order was that he replace most of his offensive staff. Dungy DID tell McKay he'd quit rather than do it. Shula became the compromise. So to that extent, Dungy probably is speaking truthfully in that if he had stuck to his guns and not given in to any pressure to fire anyone on the offensive staff the only alternative would have been for him to quit.

And I agree with others: Dungy is so far removed from this franchise at this point that constantly talking about him really doesn't have a whole lot of value to many fans.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 31, 2007, 09:29:12 AM

And I agree with others: Dungy is so far removed from this franchise at this point that constantly talking about him really doesn't have a whole lot of value to many fans.
You'd never know it over at that other board....

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 31, 2007, 09:37:46 AM

Dungy does have one regret. He insists he should've never fired offensive coordinator Mike Shula, who was dismissed at the Pro Bowl after the Bucs' 11-6 loss to the St. Louis Rams in the NFC Championship Game that ended the '99 season.

Dungy called it "the biggest mistake I ever made in coaching, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have done it." When it was pointed out that he didn't have a choice, he said: "I had a choice. I could've quit and I probably should have."

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/31/Bucs/Dungy_s_only_Bucs_reg.shtml

If anybody can defend this nonsense, I'm more than willing to listen. I think this is pretty much indefensible though. We all know that Shula HAD to go.

That statement had little to do with actual X' s and O's than it had to do with a man's integrity and loyalty.  None of us would agree with his "stubbornness" as far as the offensive health of the team was concerned, but you have to love a guy that has your back like that!!! Would you love to have your boss say that about you?  You guys AGAIN are just so freaking short sided it ain't even funny...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#9 : January 31, 2007, 10:04:26 AM

That statement had little to do with actual X' s and O's than it had to do with a man's integrity and loyalty.  None of us would agree with his "stubbornness" as far as the offensive health of the team was concerned, but you have to love a guy that has your back like that!!! Would you love to have your boss say that about you?  You guys AGAIN are just so freaking short sided it ain't even funny...

I agree.  Tony's incredibly loyal and in that instance he sold out his values to save his job and he regrets it to this day, whether or not it was the right football decision.

I'm sure every single one of us can find parallels to this situation in our own lives.

tonyflash

Starter

#10 : January 31, 2007, 10:28:12 AM

How many offensive coaches from Dungy's Bucs days are on the Colts staff today? He has had two chances to add Shula to his current staff. Think the Colts might have told him to stay the hell away from the offense when he got the job. Tony, please stick to defense.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 31, 2007, 10:49:45 AM

Just the mention of Tony Dungy makes me sick.

I am so over it.  I really wish he would just go away.

I'd love to see his record if he didn't have Peyton Manning at QB.  He would go 9-7 every year and disappoint every year just like he did here.

He is by far the most overrated person and coach in the country right now.  TBT had an article last week that said he was the best coach in all of sports.  Completely ridiculous. 

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 31, 2007, 10:52:19 AM

Just the mention of Tony Dungy makes me sick.

I am so over it.  I really wish he would just go away.

I'd love to see his record if he didn't have Peyton Manning at QB.  He would go 9-7 every year and disappoint every year just like he did here.

He is by far the most overrated person and coach in the country right now.  TBT had an article last week that said he was the best coach in all of sports.  Completely ridiculous. 
You need help

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 31, 2007, 11:16:32 AM

I need help?

So if I don't buy into the constant media love fest with Tony Dungy, I need help?

So you think he is the best coach in all of sports? If so, you need help.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 31, 2007, 11:22:35 AM

what's done is done, and dungy did what was in the best interests of the city of tampa and the bucs by not stepping down after the NFC championship game to stand up for mike shula.

that being said, the guy he shouldn't have fired was les steckel.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For All of You Dungy Defenders, Defend THIS... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools