Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Under Rated DE Prospect « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: April 11, 2009, 09:55:43 PM

While I have mentioned his name in the past, I really think if you are looking for a small school prospect that just totally dominated his level of competition at every level with 42.5 sacks then it would be Marcus Benard of Jackson State. He only played two season or 24 games at Jackson State but registered 23.5 sacks with 34 tackles for loss, 127 tackles, 11 QB hurries, 1 pass defensed, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery.

In Junior College at Grands Rapid he had 19 sacks 15 games.

Benard is 6'4 270 pounds, ran a 4.72 forty at his pro day, 10 yard dash of 1.64. He may not be drafted but he is worth a 7th round pick based on production alone, while he hasn't received the best coaching he could be a steal if given the chance to develop.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 12, 2009, 12:15:21 PM

You can bet Doug Williams is well aware of this guy. He's from a conference Doug knows well.

Thanx Yucc.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 12, 2009, 01:08:02 PM

yukaneer nice post...thanks for sharing ....he looks good ...maybe a 5th rd pick.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 12, 2009, 02:05:29 PM

Pat & Stan - no problem, with so many scouts worried about forty times and potential at the NFL level why not draft a player that has shown the ability over his collegiate career and not just being hyped becuase he is a one year wonder like some of these defensive ends this year. Would rather draft a player that has had to prove himself for everything he has gotten and will continue to fight for that bone once he is in the NFL to continue to prove the doubters wrong.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 12, 2009, 03:26:03 PM

i have no problem using a late rd pick on a guy like this. its so hard to predict how a guy's skills will translate to the pros from big schools, let alone DII guys.  To minimize risk, if you're going to take a DII guy it should be with a mid to late rd pick and that player should dominate that low level of competition.  That is what still ticks me off about Dexter Jackson. We burned a premium pick on a player who really wasnt that productive in college, even on the DII level.  BUt this guy has the prduction, sounds like a good late rd prospect. 

FlexXVI

Second String
#5 : April 12, 2009, 06:23:54 PM

I would much rather the Bucs draft a guy like this that produced in college over Freeman or that Georgia Tech DE with nothing to show but "potential"

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#6 : April 12, 2009, 11:14:29 PM

freemans a bum. Nice post Yucc!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Under Rated DE Prospect « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools