Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WE GOT LEFTWICH « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13

JoeAbdoney89

Rookie
#30 : April 12, 2009, 11:12:23 AM

If he beats out McCown for the starting role then let him have it....two words sum this up pretty nicely. STOP GAP

and wasn't that one of the major reasons Gruden got fired?

In a way yes. But It was QB's and every other position that he would find old vets and make em s.g. players year after year.....Leftwich isnt old, hes signed to a short deal, and he brings experience that no other QB has but Griese (whos likely to leave).  I think these people that are hating on him are kinda under-rating him. He's had some pretty good games before. He was just on a team (Jags) where he got little to no help from his WRs and had one tight end to throw to. Now im not saying he'll be great but i firmly believe that he just made this offense alot more consistant and a little more dangerous with that strong arm. Not to mention I heard he worked out that long throwing motion... I hope he's this years Chad Pennington lol (they went to the same school. maybe its Marshall magic)  ;)

#31 : April 12, 2009, 11:13:11 AM

i heard the news from a Pittsburg fan that emailed me.   Where is the PR "Breaking news"

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#32 : April 12, 2009, 11:13:36 AM

Yay, another mediocre QB!

I kid, I hope he starts.

-Chase

Our fans suck!

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 12, 2009, 11:13:57 AM

If he beats out McCown for the starting role then let him have it....two words sum this up pretty nicely. STOP GAP

and wasn't that one of the major reasons Gruden got fired?

The more things "changed", the more they STAYED THE SAME.

Byron "Tiger Woods" Leftwich

MLBrandow

Rookie

#34 : April 12, 2009, 11:15:00 AM

It kind of bothers me that people want to hand Luke McCown the starting job "no matter what" and to "see what we have" in him.  He's been in the league six years.  That he hasn't become the starter yet should be a sort of indicator for you.

And "well we already know what we have in Leftwich" I have to disagree with as well.  He has never played behind a good offensive line, and he was a good quarterback with no receiving help in Jacksonville.  The Jaguars opted to release him and go with their backup quarterback instead, and surprise--they're looking at a new starting QB via the first round of the draft.

I think we should be glad that we've signed Leftwich because, at worst, he's among the best backups in the league, and at best, he'll be a reliable QB for the next several years.  The guy is a winner, and playing behind this offensive line, I think you'll definitely see him have the best season of his career.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 12, 2009, 11:15:59 AM

From... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Leftwich#Professional_career
Byron Leftwich
Leftwich at an Atlanta Hawks game in May 2008
Free Agent � No.
Quarterback
Date of birth: January 14, 1980 (1980-01-14) (age 29)
Place of birth: Washington, D.C.
Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)    Weight: 250 lb (110 kg)
Professional debut
2003 for the Jacksonville Jaguars
Career history
College: Marshall
NFL Draft: 2003 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7
 Teams:

* Jacksonville Jaguars (2003-2006)
    * Atlanta Falcons (2007)
    * Pittsburgh Steelers (2008)

Roster status: Active
Career highlights and awards

* Motor City Bowl MVP (2000)
    * Super Bowl Champion (XLIII)

Selected NFL statistics
(through Week 17 of the 2008 NFL season)
TD-INT        54-38
Passing yards        9,624
QB Rating        80.3
Stats at NFL.com

TampaSlim

Rookie

#36 : April 12, 2009, 11:17:50 AM

Thank God!  I have lived in constant fear that we were somehow going to end up with Rex Grossman.  I can now breathe a sigh of relief!   :D

“This may be another one-year experiment gone bad,” said one league executive. “I’ll tell you this: I can’t wait to play them. Everyone who knew what they were doing in that building is gone.”  I\'ll be both pleased and shocked if we win more than 6 games in 2009.

#37 : April 12, 2009, 11:18:55 AM

UtahBucFan...   where can I mail you my $25 check?   you've provided more "breaking news" than my insider account...

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 12, 2009, 11:21:54 AM

Although they were in the past, the inside account never is the first for breaking news such as signings anymore.   But they do provide inside views from the practices and locker room.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#39 : April 12, 2009, 11:23:27 AM

I love Wikipedia....

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith. If he becomes a Buccaneer, the Buccaneers will likey suffer a 12-16 loss season reminescent of the Yuks of 1976-1995.

This has yet to be confirmed by other sources such as NFL.com or KFFL or the Buccaneer's website.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 12, 2009, 11:26:03 AM

UtahBucFan...   where can I mail you my $25 check?   you've provided more "breaking news" than my insider account...

Dude seriously at this time of year were all the propaganda hits an all time fever pitch...you think PR wants to put themselves out there with breaking news that would blow up in their face... Thanks PR for being patience during this time when many are going to lower their standards to try to cover STORIES and not the truth...OBD

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 12, 2009, 11:34:00 AM

I love Wikipedia....

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith. If he becomes a Buccaneer, the Buccaneers will likey suffer a 12-16 loss season reminescent of the Yuks of 1976-1995.

This has yet to be confirmed by other sources such as NFL.com or KFFL or the Buccaneer's website.

I thought you were joking.  But it really does say that. hahaha

BillT

Practice Squad

#42 : April 12, 2009, 11:34:34 AM

If Jags plays to the strengths of the players, this could be a good fit...It is hard to fairly judge any of the QB's until the new offense is installed and we see them running it. I am, so far happy with what I see...Could it be better, always...Could it be worse..Sure...Let's give them a chance. I like the youth movement. :D

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 12, 2009, 11:37:14 AM

I am, so far happy with what I see...

You are a good comedian.

C2asante

Starter

#44 : April 12, 2009, 11:53:35 AM

It kind of bothers me that people want to hand Luke McCown the starting job "no matter what" and to "see what we have" in him.  He's been in the league six years.  That he hasn't become the starter yet should be a sort of indicator for you.

And "well we already know what we have in Leftwich" I have to disagree with as well.  He has never played behind a good offensive line, and he was a good quarterback with no receiving help in Jacksonville.  The Jaguars opted to release him and go with their backup quarterback instead, and surprise--they're looking at a new starting QB via the first round of the draft.

I think we should be glad that we've signed Leftwich because, at worst, he's among the best backups in the league, and at best, he'll be a reliable QB for the next several years.  The guy is a winner, and playing behind this offensive line, I think you'll definitely see him have the best season of his career.

Thank you for being a voice of reason.  If we can't have a meritocracy in sports where can we?  Whomever gives the team the best chance to win based on what they show in practice, camp and preseason should be the starter.  Whether one is a fan of BL or not he has achieved more in football at every level than LM.  The fair thing to do is let them battle it out and may the best person win the starting job.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WE GOT LEFTWICH « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools