Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: you're all a bunch of pagans « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

spartan

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 12, 2009, 04:45:39 PM

Why do you believe the things you believe, and do the things you do? The chances are you never stopped to ask yourself that question. You have been taught since childhood to accept Easter as the chief of the Christian holidays.

You have supposed it is part of the true Christian religion to observe Lent, "Holy Week," "Good Friday," to buy hot cross buns at he bakery, to have colored eggs, to dress up and go to Church Easter Sunday, perhaps to attend an Easter sunrise service!

I am a 'born again' Catholic. I was Christened a Catholic, was not brought up in a Catholic (or religious) environment but chose to return to the church. That is,  I chose to believe what I believe,m  I chose the church I wanted to be a member of and I chose to believe in Jesus Christ. It had nothing to do with indoctrination as it was 100% to do with free will. Nothing more, nothing less.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 12, 2009, 05:56:16 PM

I couldn't go on in a world without chocolate bunnies!!

Forget that, it is about the Peeps!

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 12, 2009, 06:01:34 PM

The original post is really not shocking - if not wholly accurate. Almost all the major Xian holidays were selected based on their being pre-existing holidays with pre-existing symbols co-opted for the same reason that most Xian churches were built where old pre-Xian religious centers were, conveinience.  I'm not sure why some fundies get their tighty whities in an uproar since the holiday has nada to do with anything pagan other than the day and a few eggs.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 12, 2009, 06:11:29 PM

The calandar has practically no Christianity in it at all...

Our calandar is largely Pegan. Ancient societies named the days of the week after objects in the heavens which represented pegan gods and goddesses. Sun (Sunday), Moon (Monday), Mars (Tuesday), Mercury (Wednesday), Jupiter (Thursday), Venus (Friday), and Saturn (Saturday).

Names of the months are also Pegan. 5 of the first 6 months are named after Gods and Goddesses. The exception is February which is named after Februa, the feast of purification.
-God Janus (January)
-God Mars (March)
-Goddess Aphrodite (April)
-Goddess Maia (May)
-Goddess Juno (June)

The final 6th months had different origins..
-July based on Julius Caeser.
-August based on Augustus Caesar.
-September was the seveth month in Pegan calandar. (notice the prefix "Sept" means 7 in Latin).
-October was the 8th month in the Pegan calandar.
-November was the 9th month in the Pegan calandar.
-December was the 10th month.

We also celebrate Christmas at the wrong time of year. Historians now believe Jesus Christ was born in the early part of June. December 25th is actually a Pegan holiday going back to Babylonian times marking the birth of the Babylonian god Mirtha. The reason the Catholic Church decided on December 25th had nothing to do with Jesus's birth. It has to do with eliminating the Pegan worship that was going on throughout Rome in the 4th and 5th centuries. The Church basically stole the holiday.

We use the Roman calandar which is in no way Christian. It was what the Romans designed which was based on ancient pegan society. This is why the orthodox Jews and Muslims still have different calandars today because they don't believe the Roman calandar is correctly in line with God.

mrtks

Pro Bowler

#19 : April 12, 2009, 06:58:42 PM

I couldn't go on in a world without chocolate bunnies!!

Forget that, it is about the Peeps!
Have you ever put them in the micrwave? They get huge! Before they explode. LOL!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 12, 2009, 07:46:12 PM

Yaaaaay Pagans

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 12, 2009, 08:26:02 PM

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and 4th of July; I love them all and will always celebrate them and have a good time with family & friends wether religion is involved or not.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#22 : April 12, 2009, 08:29:10 PM

well the next major one is Beltane (May 1st).  A Hieros Gamos looks like fun.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 12, 2009, 09:05:08 PM

I'm celebrating Easter with my family today. We went to Mass this morning, gave our children Easter baskets, will hunt eggs at their Grandparents, and have dinner together this evening. We celebrate Christmas also. Because we CHOOSE to. Carry on with the lectures.
might as well sacrifice a bull while you're at it

Lol. While I am not religious, if the guy is not pushing his religion on you, you should not push your anti-religion on him. Who knows, we may all be wrong (most likely.)

I'm not religious really and far from pushing anyone about it.  My wife and her family are Catholic, but they're not crazed lunatics about it.  Only thing they wanted is for the kids to be baptized, other than that they're not pushy at all and I definitely could care less if any one believes in anything or not.  But this elitist attitude is friggin' hilarious.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#24 : April 12, 2009, 09:57:29 PM

I have a guy at the church I pastor who thinks the same way.  We shouldn't celebrate Easter, Christmas, Halloween, etc, because they are all pagan holidays.
That's why I dressed up in bunny costume this morning to present my costume, and always play the part of Santa at Christmas!!

The bottom line is that God knows your heart, and I for one am not offering up prayers and blessings to the Unknown Gods.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 12, 2009, 11:49:41 PM

aren't all Gods unknown?

kmitchell

Starter

#26 : April 13, 2009, 12:20:57 AM

aren't all Gods unknown?

Absolutely incorrect. Christianity is right, and all other religions throughout the history of human civilization are wrong!

bucsense

Practice Squad

#27 : April 13, 2009, 12:21:18 AM

aren't all Gods unknown?

Of course they are....and most likely don't exist at all....only in the minds of those that believe there is something better than life itself.....

#28 : April 13, 2009, 12:23:05 AM

IMO it all is about what floats your boat.  Some celebrate, some don't people have their reason why and why not.  I guess I didn't see anything elitist with the original post, unless "you're all a bunch of pagans" does the "elite" part of it for you.  Point is all of it points back to something in the form of man dictating his thoughts on what is religious and what is not, it really is up to us to choose where we fit into the given scenario.

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#29 : April 13, 2009, 05:55:31 AM

I'm celebrating Easter with my family today. We went to Mass this morning, gave our children Easter baskets, will hunt eggs at their Grandparents, and have dinner together this evening. We celebrate Christmas also. Because we CHOOSE to. Carry on with the lectures.
might as well sacrifice a bull while you're at it

Lol. While I am not religious, if the guy is not pushing his religion on you, you should not push your anti-religion on him. Who knows, we may all be wrong (most likely.)

I'm not religious really and far from pushing anyone about it.  My wife and her family are Catholic, but they're not crazed lunatics about it.  Only thing they wanted is for the kids to be baptized, other than that they're not pushy at all and I definitely could care less if any one believes in anything or not.  But this elitist attitude is friggin' hilarious.
Elitist attitude, exactly! Posting pages of stuff to, what, rain on the parade of people celebrating with their families? Silliness. No one is making you go on an easter egg hunt at gunpoint, for heaven's sake.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: you're all a bunch of pagans « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools