Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: you're all a bunch of pagans « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #45 : April 13, 2009, 08:58:31 PM »

Simmer down Joe, simmer down.

You know what I mean, and I know you do Joe!  You believe in everything, regardless of whether it makes sense or not!  Let some scandinavian guy with curly hair study something for a few years that calls himself an "expert" and you believe what he says?!

You are entitled to your beliefs brother, but man, how about picking a "few" and sticking with them?!  You bounce around more than Tiger does.  But it's all good man.

Do you just say crap to keep an argument going? As I've said before, judging from the stuff you say on this board, (which is all I have to go on) you have to be one of the most un-Christian, Christians I have ever encountered.

Did you hear the one about the man who lived inside a whale for three days?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #46 : April 13, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »

Skull, have you ever read or heard any interviews with John Lash about the Gnostics, the Nag Hammadi texts and their theory of alien (Archons) intrusion? The Christian church did a great job of quashing a lot of this material. Luckily, somebody was smart enough to put away some of this stuff for safe keeping.

I'm familar with the Nag Hammadi.

I read some of that. It struck me as more Hindu with a few JudeoChristian names thrown in than anything. Their Genesis was kind of reversed from Biblical versions with the devil figure creating Earth and man (in defiance of the supreme creator) and the benevolent Pista Sophia (the force of wisedom) leading man to take from the tree of knowledge in order to free him from servitude/blind worship.

It was very Hindu-like in its use of entities/figures that were both male and female, ying and yang type thing.

Didn't see any alien connection though, but I only read a small part.   

You have the basics, which is all I know since I've only really looked into it in the past few days. May be more myth stuff. But I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it. The Archons are very similar to what Christians call demons. May be a bunch of nonsense but it's of interest to me.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #47 : April 13, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »

A little more on Lamb and his work on Gnostics/Nag Hammadi and religion, minus any reference to the Archons.

John Lamb Lash's Not in His Image is a rare achievement, combining impeccable scholarship with remarkable visionary insight. In a breathtaking tour de force, the author provides a profound analysis of the history of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam and their connections to the patriarchal system. He identifies the deep roots of the intrinsic problems of these three religions-- perpetrator-victim emphasis and salvationist ideology--and points out their relationship to the alienation and agony of modern humanity. This book is a must for everybody who is trying to understand the psychospiritual currents underlying the present global crisis.

—Stanislav Grof, M.D., author of Psychology of the Future and The Cosmic Game

Basing much of Not in His Image on the Nag Hammadi and other Gnostic writings, John Lamb Lash explains how a little-known messianic sect propelled itself into a dominant world power, systematically wiping out the great Gnostic spiritual teachers, the Druid priests, and the shamanistic healers of Europe and North Africa. They burned libraries and destroyed temples in an attempt to silence the ancient truth-tellers and keep their own secrets. But as Lash reveals, when the truth is the planet Earth it cannot be hidden or destroyed.

Not in His Image delves deeply into the shadows of ancient Gnostic writings to reconstruct the story early Christians tried to scrub from the pages of history, exploring the richness of the ancient European Pagan spirituality—the Pagan Mysteries, the Great Goddess, Gnosis, the myths of Sophia and Gaia—and chronicles the annihilation of this Pagan European culture at the hands of Christianity.

Long before the birth of Christianity, monotheism was an anomaly; Europe and the Near East flourished under the divine guidance of Sophia, the ancient goddess of wisdom. The Earth was the embodiment of Sophia and thus sacred to the people who sought fulfillment in her presence. This ancient philosophy was threatening to the emerging salvation-based creed of Christianity that was based on patriarchal dominion over the Earth and lauded personal suffering as a path to the afterlife. As Derrick Jensen points out in the afterword, in Lash's hands Jesus Christ emerges as the agent provocateur of the ruling classes.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #48 : April 14, 2009, 08:09:14 AM »

Simmer down Joe, simmer down.

You know what I mean, and I know you do Joe! You believe in everything, regardless of whether it makes sense or not! Let some scandinavian guy with curly hair study something for a few years that calls himself an "expert" and you believe what he says?!

You are entitled to your beliefs brother, but man, how about picking a "few" and sticking with them?! You bounce around more than Tiger does. But it's all good man.

Do you just say crap to keep an argument going? As I've said before, judging from the stuff you say on this board, (which is all I have to go on) you have to be one of the most un-Christian, Christians I have ever encountered.

Did you hear the one about the man who lived inside a whale for three days?

I will take that as a compliment I guess Joe, coming from you.  If I were to act like a typical Christian, I would be a judgemental know it all too, so in my book, I can't win with you.  Again, pick something, anything, and attempt to believe in it.

And yes, I know Jonah and the fish; what's your point/angle with that analogy??

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #49 : April 14, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »

Long before the birth of Christianity, monotheism was an anomaly; Europe and the Near East flourished under the divine guidance of Sophia, the ancient goddess of wisdom.

There was no goddess Sophia. Sophia was a virtue - Sophia means wisdom in Greek . It became the wisdom of god in the use of the early church - the church in Byzantium was the Hagia Sophia for example. The closest you get to a personification of Sophia is under the Gnostics (and in texts that date at earliest to about 125AD) but the gnostics were also a smaller group and the notion that "long before" the Xians Gnosticism flourished is wrong. The earliest Gnostic was Philo and he was around 1 AD and then you get Simon Magus and the rest of the leading Gnostics in around 100AD. Gnosticism was never really "a" relgions, it was a bunch of beliefs that sort of got lumped together and oddly made into a "movement" by the Church trying to stamp it out.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #50 : April 14, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »

Easy Dal, don't mess with the Zohan known as Joe!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #51 : April 15, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »

Long before the birth of Christianity, monotheism was an anomaly; Europe and the Near East flourished under the divine guidance of Sophia, the ancient goddess of wisdom.

There was no goddess Sophia. Sophia was a virtue - Sophia means wisdom in Greek . It became the wisdom of god in the use of the early church - the church in Byzantium was the Hagia Sophia for example. The closest you get to a personification of Sophia is under the Gnostics (and in texts that date at earliest to about 125AD) but the gnostics were also a smaller group and the notion that "long before" the Xians Gnosticism flourished is wrong. The earliest Gnostic was Philo and he was around 1 AD and then you get Simon Magus and the rest of the leading Gnostics in around 100AD. Gnosticism was never really "a" relgions, it was a bunch of beliefs that sort of got lumped together and oddly made into a "movement" by the Church trying to stamp it out.

Thanks for the info. but I still want to check out the work of Lash and others who have spent a lot of time looking into this stuff.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

« #52 : April 15, 2009, 11:03:21 AM »

[

I'm familar with the Nag Hammadi.

I am familiar with the Nag Lisa. She's my ex and the reason she's my ex.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: you're all a bunch of pagans « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools