Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rice to Vikings? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: January 31, 2007, 09:04:48 AM

Simeon Rice, could have more then just the Lions after his services this off-season. If the Bucs are looking to trade Rice away this off-season it looks like the Vikings could be looking to add Rice as well.

http://www.startribune.com/101/story/933993.html

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 31, 2007, 09:23:19 AM

Don't they have James and Udeze already?

bklynbucs11

Starter

#2 : January 31, 2007, 09:26:39 AM

Actually this wouldn't be surprizing

Udeze is a bust and James was less than stellar in his rookie season (4 sacks in 15 games) and didn't play this year.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#3 : January 31, 2007, 09:34:22 AM

Tomlin isn't with the Vikings anymore.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 31, 2007, 09:39:59 AM

Rice isn't going anywhere. That would hinder the efforts of the FO to upgrade the defensive line and remember, the cap room is with Rice's cap hit.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#5 : January 31, 2007, 09:41:34 AM

Rice isn't going anywhere. That would hinder the efforts of the FO to upgrade the defensive line and remember, the cap room is with Rice's cap hit.

We need more than upgrades, we need to get younger. Keeping Rice won't do that.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 31, 2007, 09:47:32 AM

We need more than upgrades, we need to get younger. Keeping Rice won't do that.

So where do you get younger? It's easy to say 'they have to get younger" but at this moment it's not possible. Rice has another big year in him, do you want another year of that awful pass rush? Remember what this defense looked like when Rice went down.

I find it funny that some of you pass off Rice as if he's nothing to this team. It's not the right mind-set.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#7 : January 31, 2007, 09:52:59 AM

As much as I don't like his personality, I have no desire to see Sim shipped.

Remember one thing - DE's have a longer shelf life than most other positions. Sim's turning 33 next month. Seems ancient right - but its not.

Other than this season, Simeon has managed to stay extremely healthy his entire career. Remember, Strahan is still playing pretty well at 35. Strahan was 30 or 31 when he set the sack record. Jason Taylor had arguably his best season as a pro this season - and he's only 7 months younger than Rice. Rice isn't the big-bodied brute that relies on speed and contact - the kind of play that wears players out. Sim is a speed rusher - giving him a longer shelf life. If he gets back into shape, don't be surprized if we get 3 more years out of him.

I still believe we should go after another DE in the draft or FA this season or next. That said - Sim is a great player and we should keep him here in Tampa, which should be easier after his performance in the last 2 years. if we can get him for 4-5 mill a year for the next 3, we'd be golden and can focus our efforts to grabbing a UT to shore up the pass rush and take the doubles off Sim.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 31, 2007, 09:54:31 AM

The problem is if the Colts do franchise Freeny there's no Rice replacement unit on the market. People like Charles Grant and Justin Smith but neither of those guys in in Simeon's category in terms of creating a pass rush, especially a quick pass rush. I like both players but Rice is  a rare type of player which is why Gaines Adams, who might be another Rice, is such an interesting player. Getting younger is good but getting better is the main goal.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 31, 2007, 09:59:40 AM

Getting younger is good but getting better is the main goal.

Well played Dalbuc. That's what I wanted to say, sure it's great to get younger but at what price? Do we want another 4-12 season just to get younger, no. Trading Rice isn't going to happen and I'm happy for that. He's a freak

tonyflash

Starter

#10 : January 31, 2007, 10:18:54 AM

I spoke with Bruce Allen a few weeks ago and he told me the plan is to keep Rice. I don't understand why all this trade talk keeps coming up. I bet he stays and turns in a very productive season.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#11 : January 31, 2007, 10:23:49 AM

The problem is if the Colts do franchise Freeny there's no Rice replacement unit on the market. People like Charles Grant and Justin Smith but neither of those guys in in Simeon's category in terms of creating a pass rush, especially a quick pass rush. I like both players but Rice is  a rare type of player which is why Gaines Adams, who might be another Rice, is such an interesting player. Getting younger is good but getting better is the main goal.

Looks like a one year goal to me. Rice comes back for one year, maybe does well, maybe doesn't, and then he's gone. I would rather trade him and get a player who will be in Tampa for more than one year. We suck right now because of that kind of keep things together plan.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 31, 2007, 10:34:18 AM

Looks like a one year goal to me. Rice comes back for one year, maybe does well, maybe doesn't, and then he's gone. I would rather trade him and get a player who will be in Tampa for more than one year. We suck right now because of that kind of keep things together plan.

It depends on his production and what the team would save by cutting him. Again, I'll say it again, the cap room (which is what, $49M) is with Rice's cap hit.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#13 : January 31, 2007, 10:39:08 AM

It depends on his production and what the team would save by cutting him. Again, I'll say it again, the cap room (which is what, $49M) is with Rice's cap hit.

We have plenty of cap room to keep him, which we should if we can't trade him. It's more like 24M though. The salary cap isn't the problem. Rice is in the last year of his contract.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 31, 2007, 10:46:05 AM

We have plenty of cap room to keep him, which we should if we can't trade him. It's more like 24M though. The salary cap isn't the problem. Rice is in the last year of his contract.

this year's is $24M, next years projected cap room is enormous (I can't remember what Bruce said the actual number was) and that's what I referencing.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rice to Vikings? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools