Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rice to Vikings? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

acacius

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 31, 2007, 10:51:38 AM

We have plenty of cap room to keep him, which we should if we can't trade him. It's more like 24M though. The salary cap isn't the problem. Rice is in the last year of his contract.

this year's is $24M, next years projected cap room is enormous (I can't remember what Bruce said the actual number was) and that's what I referencing.

Well, Rice is in the last year of his contract, so next year's cap number would be with his contract off the books.

Honestly, I'm ok with the FO doing pretty much anything with him other than cutting him. (Unless maybe if they could actually get Freeney.) Heck, if he's willing to stick around, I'd be perfectly happy seeing the team extend his contract.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 31, 2007, 10:52:46 AM

this year's is $24M, next years projected cap room is enormous (I can't remember what Bruce said the actual number was) and that's what I referencing.

Well, Rice is in the last year of his contract, so next year's cap number would be with his contract off the books.

Honestly, I'm ok with the FO doing pretty much anything with him other than cutting him. (Unless maybe if they could actually get Freeney.) Heck, if he's willing to stick around, I'd be perfectly happy seeing the team extend his contract.

isn't signed through 2008? I don't think this year is the last year on the contract. Could be wrong....

acacius

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 31, 2007, 10:54:26 AM

isn't signed through 2008? I don't think this year is the last year on the contract. Could be wrong....

Nope, he's just signed through 2007.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=23834

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 31, 2007, 11:04:54 AM

Good dig Acacius.

Mellow

Starter

#19 : January 31, 2007, 11:16:14 AM

As much as I don't like his personality, I have no desire to see Sim shipped.

Remember one thing - DE's have a longer shelf life than most other positions. Sim's turning 33 next month. Seems ancient right - but its not.

Other than this season, Simeon has managed to stay extremely healthy his entire career. Remember, Strahan is still playing pretty well at 35. Strahan was 30 or 31 when he set the sack record. Jason Taylor had arguably his best season as a pro this season - and he's only 7 months younger than Rice. Rice isn't the big-bodied brute that relies on speed and contact - the kind of play that wears players out. Sim is a speed rusher - giving him a longer shelf life. If he gets back into shape, don't be surprized if we get 3 more years out of him.

I still believe we should go after another DE in the draft or FA this season or next. That said - Sim is a great player and we should keep him here in Tampa, which should be easier after his performance in the last 2 years. if we can get him for 4-5 mill a year for the next 3, we'd be golden and can focus our efforts to grabbing a UT to shore up the pass rush and take the doubles off Sim.

I agree, but since Rice's game is built on speed, and speed is one of the first things to go as a player ages (think: Derrick Brooks) could it be that last year's falloff was just the tip of the iceberg?  I'm just not sure those statistics apply to a guy who plays DE at 255 pounds.  Maybe that dominant UT will help; hopefully we'll see.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 31, 2007, 12:06:06 PM

No point to hold on to Rice for one year that is why I think he should be traded off.  I would giddy like a school girl if the Bucs could obtain Udeze and a 2nd round pick for Rice.

TEAMCALI

Starter

#21 : January 31, 2007, 12:09:16 PM

I don't think the FO is going to let Rice go.. he's still a threat and his position!   I want him back next year and the year after he's a soldier.!   GO BUCS

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 31, 2007, 01:33:15 PM

If you guys have PI access and have read the PRs idea of what to do with Sim, I would say I agree with that idea the most.  I would think that would be GREAT!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#23 : February 03, 2007, 02:49:32 PM

Howie Long?

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#24 : January 31, 2007, 04:29:57 PM

Rice isn't going anywhere. That would hinder the efforts of the FO to upgrade the defensive line and remember, the cap room is with Rice's cap hit.
As much as I love Simeon Rice, I hope you're wrong.

#25 : January 31, 2007, 04:36:21 PM

Rice isn't going anywhere. That would hinder the efforts of the FO to upgrade the defensive line and remember, the cap room is with Rice's cap hit.
I must say ABuccs, your man love for Rice is at time sickening....just like your man love for Joey Gathright.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#26 : January 31, 2007, 04:39:26 PM

I must say ABuccs, your man love for Rice is at time sickening....just like your man love for Joey Gathright.
I think you should remove your sig pic. Paris Hilton's contraceptive matters are of no concern to this forum.

#27 : January 31, 2007, 05:07:01 PM

The Bucs Dl doesnt get worse when Rice leaves

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

#28 : January 31, 2007, 05:16:55 PM

Rice should not be traded... The thought has crossed my mind a few times, and at one point I was halfway on the "trade Simeon" bandwagon, but I have fallen off now and I really believe that he gives the Buccaneers the best chance to get better...

As others have said, I also agree that we could likely get another 2-3 years out of him, and he is more of a speed rusher, therefore a little less wear and tear on the old frame... if he keeps his legs under him that is

$$$

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 31, 2007, 06:33:43 PM

The only way you move Rice is if you can make a play for Freeney and essentially trade older pass rusher for younger pass rusher and that extra space helps you do it.

The aging issue with Rice is big because he's a speed rusher once he loses half a step he's toast. I'm not vastly worried about his legs going soon because, like Jerry Rice, his off-season workouts are the stuff of legends. If you haven't read this:

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/06/Bucs/Beyond_Mortal_Limits.shtml

it should make you sore just reading it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rice to Vikings? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools