Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: HAS LEFTWICH EVER HAD THIS MUCH TALENT AROUND HIM??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 14, 2009, 02:32:13 PM

I believe the quote was "EVER".

That was my word. Not sure what word ESPN used exactly.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 14, 2009, 02:46:09 PM

According to ESPN, Leftwich has more talent around him in Tampa than ever before in his career.

Really???

Bryant and Clayton are better than Heinz Ward and S. Holmes??? Graham>Willie Parker??? Tampa's O line > the Steelers'?

I'm with ya, Gault.  That's tough to swallow.  Considering that group WON A SUPERBOWL.

I think they are talking about jacksonville, not the Steelers. He did not play there much.

I believe the quote was "EVER".

That was what caught my eye. Superlatives can be dangerous.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 14, 2009, 03:24:26 PM

Fred Taylor, Greg Jones, Jimmy Smith, Matt Jones. etc. etc.

I agree with Java

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 14, 2009, 03:28:11 PM

This move was a foolish one by the FO in my opinon.

Leftwich has already peaked and we know he can't be any better (Can he start a 16 game season?) so it would basically be a given that we are looking for a new QB in 1 to 2 years. On the flip side If McCown beats him out in camp, McCown will be looking over his shoulder constantly and if McCown falters in the slightest (which any inexperinced QB will do) the fans and the media will be clamoring for Leftwich and this will put enormous pressure on Raheem. This will have a negative effect on McCowns development because in order for him to develop into whatever kind of QB he will be for the rest of his career, he will need game experince.

This move is a puzzler for me.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 14, 2009, 03:30:39 PM

Leftwich has already peaked and we know he can't be any better (Can he start a 16 game season?) so it would basically be a given that we are looking for a new QB in 1 to 2 years. On the flip side If McCown beats him out in camp, McCown will be looking over his shoulder constantly and if McCown falters in the slightest (which any inexperinced QB will do) the fans and the media will be clamoring for Leftwich and this will put enormous pressure on Raheem. This will have a negative effect on McCowns development because in order for him to develop into whatever kind of QB he will be for the rest of his career, he will need game experince.

If McCown can't deal with the pressure of Leftwich looking over his shoulder, then he isn't cut out to lead the team.  Based on what I've heard from the guy in interviews, I doubt this move worries him much.  He's pretty smooth about stuff like this. 

If McCown is worthwhile as a starter, he'll win and play well regardless.  If he faulters, then we all know Gruden was right.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 14, 2009, 03:37:50 PM

These guys are paid to win games. While the fanbase might be willing to go for broke the FO and staff aren't. If LM is a flop and this team dives to 2-14 anyone think Morris ever gets another HC gig? I mean will Marinelli ever see another HC job in his life? No. Byron is the QB for a 7-9 Bucs team in their minds, the question is rather LM is a 2-14 guy  or a 10-6.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 14, 2009, 03:39:15 PM

If McCown can't deal with the pressure of Leftwich looking over his shoulder, then he isn't cut out to lead the team.  Based on what I've heard from the guy in interviews, I doubt this move worries him much.  He's pretty smooth about stuff like this. 

If McCown is worthwhile as a starter, he'll win and play well regardless.  If he faulters, then we all know Gruden was right.

I agree with this take.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 14, 2009, 03:40:07 PM

It's not McCown one has to worry about.

Knowing this fan base (the same fan base that ran a coach out of town after two consectuive winning seasons), If McCown throws one pick in week one, people will be clamoring for Leftwich. I gurantee it. This will lead to enormous pressure being placed on our inexperinced head coach to bench the guy.

With guys like Flacco and Ryan they were given the reigns, and felt comfort knowing that they weren't going to get benched. The Falcons and Ravens definetely took their lumps because of their QB's rookie mistakes, but the two eventually grew from it. Then look at Derek Anderson in Cleveland.....

It's a risky move that will in my opinion lead to at least two different starting QBs this season, and a first round QB in 2010.

When you have three QBs you really have zero.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 14, 2009, 03:43:19 PM

I do not agree with that doomsday scenario.  In fact the only way I see McCown not having a fair shot is if the Bucs end up drafting a QB in the first round of the 2009 draft.  We all realized once they brought in Garcia and traded for Griese in 2007 Luke had no chance for competing for the starting position.

Right now only BL stands in his way, but we shall see what the draft brings.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 14, 2009, 03:49:08 PM

Come on ADW. You know this fanbase. You know the local media.

When McCown puts up a 13/33 158 0-2 Stinker like all young inexperinced QBs do there is going to be a hugeee push for Leftwich.

Or visa versa.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 14, 2009, 03:50:04 PM

I just think if you're going to commit to a guy. You commit to a guy.

Don't start brewing a QB controversy for week one.

k_bassuka

Starter

#26 : April 14, 2009, 03:50:54 PM

It's not McCown one has to worry about.

Knowing this fan base (the same fan base that ran a coach out of town after two consectuive winning seasons), If McCown throws one pick in week one, people will be clamoring for Leftwich. I gurantee it. This will lead to enormous pressure being placed on our inexperinced head coach to bench the guy.

With guys like Flacco and Ryan they were given the reigns, and felt comfort knowing that they weren't going to get benched. The Falcons and Ravens definetely took their lumps because of their QB's rookie mistakes, but the two eventually grew from it. Then look at Derek Anderson in Cleveland.....

It's a risky move that will in my opinion lead to at least two different starting QBs this season, and a first round QB in 2010.

When you have three QBs you really have zero.

They are 10 times more talented than McGarbage, I don't think he is going to start for this team or any team he is garbage and even JJ has more talent/upside than him. There’s no reason to baby McGarbage and treat him like if he won a SB here and handle him the starting job.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 14, 2009, 03:51:51 PM

Come on ADW. You know this fanbase. You know the local media.

When McCown puts up a 13/33 158 0-2 Stinker like all young inexperinced QBs do there is going to be a hugeee push for Leftwich.

Or visa versa.

He's not "inexperienced". He's been in the league for 6 years. This isn't rookie mistake time. That excuse ain't gonna play. QB's who don't play have timing issues but if he's the starter drawing starter reps in camp and practice then that should be gone. His decision making ain't gonna get better at this point in his career.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 14, 2009, 03:59:17 PM

He is very inexperinced.

He has started 8 NFL games.

Are you playing?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 14, 2009, 04:00:43 PM

They are 10 times more talented than McGarbage, I don't think he is going to start for this team or any team he is garbage and even JJ has more talent/upside than him. There’s no reason to baby McGarbage and treat him like if he won a SB here and handle him the starting job.

Then insert any other name you want there.

It's not a good thing to have a guy being concerned he is going to get benched from week to week.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: HAS LEFTWICH EVER HAD THIS MUCH TALENT AROUND HIM??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools