Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: HAS LEFTWICH EVER HAD THIS MUCH TALENT AROUND HIM??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 14, 2009, 04:02:00 PM

This move was a foolish one by the FO in my opinon.

Leftwich has already peaked and we know he can't be any better (Can he start a 16 game season?) so it would basically be a given that we are looking for a new QB in 1 to 2 years. On the flip side If McCown beats him out in camp, McCown will be looking over his shoulder constantly and if McCown falters in the slightest (which any inexperinced QB will do) the fans and the media will be clamoring for Leftwich and this will put enormous pressure on Raheem. This will have a negative effect on McCowns development because in order for him to develop into whatever kind of QB he will be for the rest of his career, he will need game experince.

This move is a puzzler for me.

How can you say that Leftwich has already peaked? You do not know that. Garcia was Leftwich's age before he ever made it to the NFL and he went on to play in 4 Pro Bowls. Kurt Warner was pretty much considered washed up after getting cut by St Louis and the Giants before leading Arizona to the Super Bowl this year. A lot of people forget that Leftwich was thrown into the starter's position his rookie season after getting selected with the 7th pick of the 1st round. That's hard for any rookie QB. His career has been marred by several ankle injuries. It will be interesting to see how a matured and healthy Leftwich performs with a decent supporting cast. He performed well in 5 appearances for Pittsburgh last year and their offense isn't even in the top half of the league.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 14, 2009, 04:05:05 PM

Come on ADW. You know this fanbase. You know the local media.

When McCown puts up a 13/33 158 0-2 Stinker like all young inexperinced QBs do there is going to be a hugeee push for Leftwich.

Or visa versa.

He's not "inexperienced". He's been in the league for 6 years. This isn't rookie mistake time. That excuse ain't gonna play. QB's who don't play have timing issues but if he's the starter drawing starter reps in camp and practice then that should be gone. His decision making ain't gonna get better at this point in his career.
Luke has had the misfortune of playing under Gruden, so his first year would have been a wash, because he would not have been able to digest the playbook.  Guys like Jeff understand the verbiage.  Used to it.  Griese as well.  And he lost a season due to injury.  And the last 2 years, Jeff was the man, no questions.  And if not him, definitely Griese.  McCown will be able to beat out Leftwich...

Byron is backup material, IMO.  The BUcs could not have been comfortable going in with McCown, JJ and Griese.  Adding Byron is a no brainer from that angle alone.  It shows the staff has some foresight...sort of like having a life preserver on a boat.  It just makes sense to have one.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 14, 2009, 04:07:19 PM

He's not "inexperienced". He's been in the league for 6 years. This isn't rookie mistake time. That excuse ain't gonna play. QB's who don't play have timing issues but if he's the starter drawing starter reps in camp and practice then that should be gone. His decision making ain't gonna get better at this point in his career.

There is a HUGE difference between getting reps in practice and playing in live-game situations with the real bullets flying. The latter cannot be replicated. Only a season or two of actual game experience can get a quarterback over that hump...period.

#33 : April 14, 2009, 04:09:21 PM

According to ESPN, Leftwich has more talent around him in Tampa than ever before in his career.

Really???

Bryant and Clayton are better than Heinz Ward and S. Holmes??? Graham>Willie Parker??? Tampa's O line > the Steelers'?
Steelers line was terrible last year.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 14, 2009, 04:09:56 PM

How can you say that Leftwich has already peaked?

Because he has started 45+ games in this league, for multiple teams. Is he suddenly going to "get it" and become a perenial pro-bowler? There is no way.
He is what he is. And he is going to be that for the rest of his career in the NFL.

Leftwich has reached his ceiling.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 14, 2009, 04:13:33 PM

Leftwich has already peaked and we know he can't be any better (Can he start a 16 game season?) so it would basically be a given that we are looking for a new QB in 1 to 2 years. On the flip side If McCown beats him out in camp, McCown will be looking over his shoulder constantly and if McCown falters in the slightest (which any inexperinced QB will do) the fans and the media will be clamoring for Leftwich and this will put enormous pressure on Raheem. This will have a negative effect on McCowns development because in order for him to develop into whatever kind of QB he will be for the rest of his career, he will need game experince.

I think your comparisons are incorrect, meaning Leftwich vs. McCown.  What about comparing Leftwich vs. Griese?

We know McCown will be on the team.  Griese is the guy Leftwich was brought in to replace.  He might also replace McCown (I don't believe so) in time, but I think Griese is the player Leftwich is replacing right now.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 14, 2009, 04:16:34 PM

I hope so.

My arguements were based on the scenario in which Leftwich is the week one starter or the #2 QB come September.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#37 : April 14, 2009, 04:21:30 PM

Leftwich has already peaked and we know he can't be any better (Can he start a 16 game season?) so it would basically be a given that we are looking for a new QB in 1 to 2 years.

When the talent in the draft will be much deeper and better.

On the flip side If McCown beats him out in camp, McCown will be looking over his shoulder constantly and if McCown falters in the slightest (which any inexperinced QB will do) the fans and the media will be clamoring for Leftwich and this will put enormous pressure on Raheem. This will have a negative effect on McCowns development because in order for him to develop into whatever kind of QB he will be for the rest of his career, he will need game experince.

This is the N"freakin"FL, if he can't handle the heat (from fans and media) then get out the (millions of $$$/year) kitchen.

Not for me. It is real simple, if Luke can't beat out Lefty, he doesn't deserve to start and at least we have a plan B. And if he does start and gets injured, at least we have a plan B. And if Luke starts and never misses a snap, then we didn't waste a lot of money or picks on plan B.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 14, 2009, 04:25:43 PM

How can you say that Leftwich has already peaked?

Because he has started 45+ games in this league, for multiple teams. Is he suddenly going to "get it" and become a perenial pro-bowler? There is no way.
He is what he is. And he is going to be that for the rest of his career in the NFL.

Leftwich has reached his ceiling.

And if you compare his stats to any of the perennial pro-bowlers who have started since their rookie seasons over their first 45 games, you will see that he compares quite favorably. Just go check out his first 4 year stats to Eli Manning's, for instance. I'm not saying he's gonna be great. I'm just saying it is still to early to write his career off.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 14, 2009, 04:30:54 PM

Compare the first seven years of the "perennial pro-bowlers" to the first seven years of Leftwich's career.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 14, 2009, 04:33:21 PM

Compare the first seven years of the "perennial pro-bowlers" to the first seven years of Leftwich's career.

Leftwich hasn't played 7 seasons yet.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#41 : April 14, 2009, 04:43:35 PM

Ok lets stop acting like he will be our savior. I know some of you arent but the fact is that he is an experienced QB who we know can manage the offense. Which is the next best thing after a QB who is Franchise material and a guy who can win you games. We dont even know if he is going to be the starter yet. I actually think McCown wins the job. I really have no clue though. Both guys have that look in their eyes like they want to be the starter and will do anything it takes to do it. Which is a solid situation to have. IMO a lot better than having McCown and Griese going after the starting job.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 14, 2009, 04:34:45 PM

Okay....try six

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 14, 2009, 04:35:20 PM

There really has never been a game in Leftwich's career that I can remember, where I sat back and said, "wow...this guy could be something special someday"

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#44 : April 14, 2009, 04:38:16 PM

leftwich has been on more talented teams; 05 Jags and 08 steelers.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: HAS LEFTWICH EVER HAD THIS MUCH TALENT AROUND HIM??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools