Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No love for the defense on here? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 15, 2006, 11:58:03 PM

And so was the rest of the Bucs team.

Diff is, I understand this

You think it is all Simms fault.

And yes, you do.  Don't lie.

What you don't seem to understand is that the QB's play affects the rest of the team's play, and most particularly the play of the offensive line and the running game. You may wish to deny that the poor play of the QB has had a negative impact on the rest of the team, but your denial doesn't change the facts. It is not coincidental that in the two games Simms has been replaced the run game and offensive line have looked better than they did in the first three games.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 16, 2006, 12:00:39 AM

What you don't seem to understand is that the QB's play affects the rest of the team's play, and most particularly the play of the offensive line and the running game. You may wish to deny that the poor play of the QB has had a negative impact on the rest of the team, but your denial doesn't change the facts. It is not coincidental that in the two games Simms has been replaced the run game and offensive line have looked better than they did in the first three games.

Well it is no coincidence that the Bucs added Trueblood on the right tackle, and have played with Joseph in at RG in half of his games either.

FWIW, it can be coincidence.  Stop acting like Grads is the reason the entire team, inclusive of the defense, is playing better.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#17 : October 16, 2006, 12:02:03 AM

Much love for the D they seemed to get some fire back and were gang tackling nicely.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 16, 2006, 12:03:38 AM

Stop acting like Grads is the reason the entire team, inclusive of the defense, is playing better.

If you don't believe that the play of the QB has elevated other parts of the team's game, then there's no point in continuing the discussion. A rational argument cannot be held with someone who denies the basic truths of how the cogs in the machinery intermesh and affect one another.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#19 : October 16, 2006, 12:30:52 AM

I don't hate Simms but he is nowhere near the QB that Gradkowski is in this offense. Simms didn't lead this football team this year and I realize the rest of the team wasn't playing up to par either, but a majority of the problems were at the QB position.

We are playing team football right now. Simms was making critical errors that were pretty much costing us games. Points off of turnovers are the devil and he was giving the other teams tons of turnovers to score off of. I'm not bashing the guy because I don't like him, I am just stating the truth here. He will be good in another system if the team caters to his abilities but here he wasn't getting it done because Gruden didn't tailor the gameplan for him. Gradkowski is the gameplan and that is why he has looked so good these last two starts and why I think he will continue to shine.

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#20 : October 16, 2006, 12:53:57 AM

TOTAL love for the D!   :-* :-*  Getting a win with 14 points always points to the defense doing its job.  Yeah, I would've liked some splash plays, turnovers, but at least the boys were tackling and putting some pressure on. 

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#21 : October 16, 2006, 01:13:24 AM

D gets some props here for holding the Bengals to 1 TD and 2 FGs but lets face it, the defense is finally showing signs of its age. Brooks wasn't all over the field like before, Quarles looked back to form in the first half and disappeared in the the second (though it may be becasue of the injury). Bolden was Bolden, though at least Chad didn't go crazy with yardage so I guess thats a plus, though the dropped int negates that. Safeties played a better game today but nothing to brag about. D-line got some pressure, but very few came from Booger and Rice (Heck Rice was getting handled by a backup T). Gang tackling, staying in zones, and keeping the players in fornt is what kept the Cincy offense from shredding the D. Its all about fundamentals.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 16, 2006, 06:55:54 AM

This time I have to tip my hat to the D as they showed up even with Brian Kelly out.

Warhorse

Second String

#23 : October 16, 2006, 08:22:13 AM

I agree keeponbucn....the D was significantly better today.

And the Bengals aren't chopped liver either.

btw......how did you get that video of my future wife? ;D

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 16, 2006, 12:25:04 PM

The most I can do is not hate on them.  But I'm not throwing our superlatives for one good game.  For what we've come to expect.  For them to wrap up and tackle you want us to feel like this is fixed?  I'm not buying it Keep.  I ain't mad at them, but they still have a lot of work to do.  Finally it looks like some coaching is going on, like Scott said, during the week...But let's not forget Rudy came out in the second half and threatened to get loose and for a few series it wasn't looking good.

Credit them for getting it done Sunday, but again, IMVHO, we should expect that kind of play from this group...EVERY WEEK, EVERY GAME, EVERY DEFENSIVE SNAP!!! Eeven moreso now with a very young offense. Defense has won us everything we've got in Tampa. It's paramount that they start making TO's so this young offense has shorter fields to work with...It's still on their shoulders...

Can't argue with any of that Chev. 

MJS: I messed up, the first 3 games. I blame the ATL loss on the offense and QB. While the defense gave up huge yardage on the ground, it only resulted in 14 points. I know, FG kicking was atrocious but the defense kept them out of the endzone.....

Garv

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 16, 2006, 11:45:59 AM

The defense was OUTSTANDING yesterday. PERIOD!
Just WAIT until the turnovers start coming. Like Hardy, I believe they come in bunches and when they do...........WHOA!

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 16, 2006, 11:53:56 AM

Look they finally lived up to their 9 year billing yesterday.  After an ugly 0-4 start and some criticism from everyone they turn in a performance they should have turned in two games ago and we want to herald them, no way!!! 

I'm just as happy as anyone on here for the win.  But these guys obviously needed kick in the butt.  I don't expect this defense to need that to come out and play.  Maybe my expectations of them are unrealistic, but they created these expectations not me.  I'm just holding them to it...shouldn't we all be doing that?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 16, 2006, 12:01:42 PM

Look they finally lived up to their 9 year billing yesterday.  After an ugly 0-4 start and some criticism from everyone they turn in a performance they should have turned in two games ago and we want to herald them, no way!!! 

I'm just as happy as anyone on here for the win.  But these guys obviously needed kick in the butt.  I don't expect this defense to need that to come out and play.  Maybe my expectations of them are unrealistic, but they created these expectations not me.  I'm just holding them to it...shouldn't we all be doing that?

They are unrealistic at this point. It's fine, the defense fianlly played like the defense we know and love but to not give them some dap because your expectations aren't reality in 2006 is plain silly, IMO.  I would say shoddy QB play hurt this team over the first 4 games more than defensive play, wouldn't you?

Give them some love, they played balls out yesterday and for 1 day they deserve some credit on here. 

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 16, 2006, 12:07:54 PM

They are unrealistic at this point. It's fine, the defense finally played like the defense we know and love but to not give them some dap because your expectations aren't reality in 2006 is plain silly, IMO. I would say shoddy QB play hurt this team over the first 4 games more than defensive play, wouldn't you?

Give them some love, they played balls out yesterday and for 1 day they deserve some credit on here.

The most I can do is not hate on them.  But I'm not throwing our superlatives for one good game.  For what we've come to expect.  For them to wrap up and tackle you want us to feel like this is fixed?  I'm not buying it Keep.  I ain't mad at them, but they still have a lot of work to do.  Finally it looks like some coaching is going on, like Scott said, during the week...But let's not forget Rudy came out in the second half and threatened to get loose and for a few series it wasn't looking good.

Credit them for getting it done Sunday, but again, IMVHO, we should expect that kind of play from this group...EVERY WEEK, EVERY GAME, EVERY DEFENSIVE SNAP!!!  Eeven moreso now with a very young offense.  Defense has won us everything we've got in Tampa.  It's paramount that they start making TO's so this young offense has shorter fields to work with...It's still on their shoulders...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 16, 2006, 12:08:47 PM

I would say shoddy QB play hurt this team over the first 4 games more than defensive play, wouldn't you?

Not the Siants game, Grads was solid.  I don't think Simms was to blame in the Atlanta game either.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No love for the defense on here? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools