Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin - Forced hire? Grimm thinks so « previous next »
Page: 1

karen anderson

Practice Squad

: January 30, 2007, 11:52:56 PM

I don't buy it either.  Sounds good if you're Russ Grimm.

#1 : January 30, 2007, 11:45:06 PM

I agree with OMA. It makes no sense for Goodell to tell the Rooney's to hire Tomlin. How does the league benefit from that?

#2 : January 30, 2007, 10:40:05 PM

GRIMM, TOMLIN RUMORS TRUE?

We reported last week on the existence of rumors making the rounds at the Senior Bowl regarding the chain of events that resulted in the hiring of Mike Tomlin by the Steelers.

As the rumor went, the Steelers had offered the head-coaching job to Russ Grimm, and Grimm had accepted it.  But at the last minute NFL commissioner Roger Goodell got involved, and urged Steelers chairman Dan Rooney to hire either Tomlin or Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, both of whom were minority candidates.   

Per a source close to Grimm, we're now told that this is the version of the events that Grimm privately has been reciting.

Wow.

Again, we're not saying that it actually happened this way.   But we are confident that Grimm thinks it happened this way, or at a minimum that Grimm is saying that it happened this way, regardless of whether he actually believes that that's the way it went down.

-PFT

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 31, 2007, 04:56:24 AM

Doubt it. Minority hiring isn't an issue in the NFL anymore.

Really?   Do you know that there is still a rule in the NFL that insists teams MUST interview a minority before hiring anyone?   There's no need to interview any non-minority, but it's a must to interview a minority.   Unfortunately, it's still "considered" an issue.   I do believe the league may have mentioned to Rooney that if he were on the fence that they would prefer another minority hiring.   That's just a guess, but I wouldn't doubt it for a second.   I don't believe anyone was "forced" to do anything though.   I personally think Grimm should sue.   I believe it would be an unjust lawsuit, but I think attacking the ridiculous rules that have been put in place will be the only way we can finally end up with a fair system.  The "must interview a minority" clause needs to be removed so we get to the point where the color of a person's skin has nothing to do with whether they are hired for a position or not.

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 31, 2007, 07:42:35 AM

Sounds like Grimm has a case of sour grapes.  He is bad mouthing the guy who got picked over him.  He is saying he was offered the job sounds like something James Lofton said out in Oakland but it wasn't the case.  It is easy for a guy who feels he got snubbed to lie about the reason he got passed over.     

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 31, 2007, 08:44:29 AM

I have a hard time believing this either. PIT and Grim might have been discussing a contract which Grimm took as "I've got the job" instead of "We're seeing who makes the best financial sense to hire".  I don't belive the Rooney's would do anything less than what they thought was in the best interest of their club based on history. You tell me the Bidwells did this, I'm right there.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#6 : January 31, 2007, 12:19:55 PM

Hiring African American Head Coaches no longer an NFL issue -------2007 Coaches of the Year...

#7 : January 31, 2007, 04:18:36 PM

Hiring African American Head Coaches no longer an NFL issue -------2007 Coaches of the Year...

5/32 coaches are African American, eventually two A.A. coaches had to get to the SB, but considering only 3 others are even around, that speaks lowly on the 'NFL HAS PLENTY OF A.A. COACHES' argument.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 31, 2007, 07:32:10 PM

The reason this is stupid is because the NFL minority hiring rules are specifically designed to keep the choice in, not take it out. Nobody is going to dictate and force a minority coach to be hired.  They specifically designed the rules for that not to happen.

As for the right amount of African American coaches (and the rigobucs comment), who cares as long as the best coaches get hired regardless of race. I think at this point in time the best guy is going to get hired and the good old boy network is a thing of the past, at least in the pros.

Anyway, if you want to play the numbers game for a fair percentage why would you assume it should be equal to the percentage of black players as coaches?  I don't think that follows.

I think there are a lot of people of all races involved in football in America who don't make the pros as players. Does that mean they aren't able to coach? And do you really think Black players play better because they have a black coach?  I don't think so. They are professionals and they will play well for whoever knows how to coach well just like any pro player. 

We shouldn't have an underlying assumption that black players are racists or narrow minded and need black coaches to maximize their potential. Of course thats not true.

So looking at it that way,  Blacks probably make up about 15% of the football crazy part of the nation of prospective coaches (13.5% of the population).    They now make up about 15% of the NFL coaches. Looking at it that way they have reached a fair level.  But I'm not suggesting the numbers game is relevant anymore. Rigobucs is.  I don't think it is relevant anymore.

In any case I don't think you assume that because blacks make up 60 or 70% of the league that the ideal black coaches should be 60%.  That has the underlying assumption that Black players need black coaches, and that pro players make better pro coaches. Neither are true. 

I think that we need to keep the minority hiring practices the NFL currently has in place which require minorities to get interviews, but we don't need to really worry anymore about minorities getting a fair shake in the NFL.  We need to focus on the college level where there are still great inequities.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 31, 2007, 07:37:05 PM

One's race should never be an issue in the hiring process and the NFL's policy is therefore hypocritical.

#10 : February 01, 2007, 06:31:18 AM

They do call it the "Rooney Rule" and for good reason, he helped if not spearheaded the rule to at least interview a minority coach... How would it look if he didn't hire one after making the rule?
  I live in PA and can tell you that this decision is NOT very popular here and definatley not in the Pitt area, they loved Grimm (hometown boy,etc..)     I personally am happy to see another former Tampa coach make good in his career!

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 01, 2007, 08:57:48 AM

They do call it the "Rooney Rule" and for good reason, he helped if not spearheaded the rule to at least interview a minority coach... How would it look if he didn't hire one after making the rule?
  I live in PA and can tell you that this decision is NOT very popular here and definatley not in the Pitt area, they loved Grimm (hometown boy,etc..)     I personally am happy to see another former Tampa coach make good in his career!

I don't know much about Grimm, but Tomlin will make the Pitt fans change their minds real quick next year.  As long as he can make that change from a 3-4 to a 4-3 which may take a year.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin - Forced hire? Grimm thinks so « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools