Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Percy Harvin GAMBLE? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 19, 2009, 08:19:58 AM

Gator fans are either lazy or lame this morning....

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 19, 2009, 08:22:40 AM

safe doesn't equal elite

Leaf was elite. As was Schuler, Mandrich, Boz,  etc, etc, etc.

You know better than most how much the draft is a crap shoot.

Draftees only becomes elite when they  show it on the field.

Come on. Get real.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 19, 2009, 09:39:02 AM

safe doesn't equal elite

but safe usually equals pretty good.  we cant afford another whiff with a high draft pick, especially when we dont have a 2nd rd pick this year.  i'd rather stay conservative than roll the dice with a day 1 pick hoping that guys like Harvin, Johnson or Freeman live up to their physical tools.  Joseph, Ruud and Sears werent flashy names coming out of college nor are they elite talents now in the NFL.  But they contributed right away and are now core players on our team. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 19, 2009, 09:55:25 AM

safe doesn't equal elite

but safe usually equals pretty good. we cant afford another whiff with a high draft pick, especially when we dont have a 2nd rd pick this year. i'd rather stay conservative than roll the dice with a day 1 pick hoping that guys like Harvin, Johnson or Freeman live up to their physical tools. Joseph, Ruud and Sears werent flashy names coming out of college nor are they elite talents now in the NFL. But they contributed right away and are now core players on our team.

What about a guy like Maybin?  He could of used another year of college and needs to bulk up 15 pounds or so but his athletic ability is undeniable and he's projected to go around where we pick and DE is one of our biggest needs.  Bate's wants pressure from the sides and this dude can do that.  Still he's not a finished product and would be classified as a boom or bust prospect.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 19, 2009, 10:02:54 AM

safe gets you franchise Guards when you needed franchise QB's.

I've been told that you can't steal second with your foot on first...while you can't live there, why not gamble in your first year as head coach? Shoot man - pull the trigger on ONE gamble in your first year - we've come in second WAAAYY too often with this new regime in charge!

You have to take calculated risks in the Not For Long league - there are as many former head coaches that always played it safe as there are former head coaches that gambled too often.

This season the head coach has a free pass - he can pretty much do whatever he wants and chalk it up to youthful inexperience...this season - it's all conservative after year one...

Like my man says "...it's the last un-capped year, take a freakin' chance...."

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 19, 2009, 10:28:14 AM

he is suspect because he never faced NFL style defenses

Who exactly did face NFL style defenses?

and here's something for you Gator fans to chew on - Harvin's as much a gamble as Josh Freeman is...

We'll agree to disagree.  They both have the measureables, but one produced against much, much better defenses while the other's production was mediocre and in the bottom half of his conference against suspect defenses.

#21 : April 19, 2009, 10:58:38 AM

safe gets you franchise Guards when you needed franchise QB's

I've been told that you can't steal second with your foot on first...while you can't live there, why not gamble in your first year as head coach? Shoot man - pull the trigger on ONE gamble in your first year - we've come in second WAAAYY too often with this new regime in charge!

You have to take calculated risks in the Not For Long league - there are as many former head coaches that always played it safe as there are former head coaches that gambled too often.

This season the head coach has a free pass - he can pretty much do whatever he wants and chalk it up to youthful inexperience...this season - it's all conservative after year one...

Like my man says "...it's the last un-capped year, take a freakin' chance...."

LOVE IT and very well stated.

There isn't a player project to be within our grasp that I'd consider sure fire. Such being he case, why not grab the guy with the most upside?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : April 19, 2009, 02:00:32 PM

Funny thread -

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

devasher

Starter
#23 : April 19, 2009, 02:10:39 PM

HAHAHA more propaganda by idiots like runole.  I have family who work at Shands and the migraines were legit.  Yet another attempt at jealous morons like runole to take down a rival player who BURNED them for 3 years.....

You are dumb. I am a fan and FSU alum, and if you read my post it was in defense of percy, so what does that make me?

I was also at the FSU UF game Percy's freshman year where HE WAS CARTED OFF THE FIELD he was so damn good, not exactly burning us you know. I'm pretty sure he hurt himself playing us again this past year, the game he destroyed FSU so badly he accumulated all of 13 yards on 6 rushing attempts with 0 yards receiving.

Why don't you bother to look your facts up before you talk smack.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : April 19, 2009, 02:18:54 PM

Funny just got funnier - now College Football wars are breaking out...

Who has that sig - Did you know there is a college site ...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 19, 2009, 02:20:21 PM

You know me d - have to support my man "HATE"...we were, afterall, both right about Calvin...

and Bigg's lining a slash up at different spots to create mismatches in college - is a lot different than trying to learn complicated play concepts and running good routes while reading your QB AND the defense before lining up for the snap...

Freeman has been running NFL pro-sets. He'll need help reading defenses - but who wants him to start this year? We're not desperate. Let him ride the pine, soak up the speed of the NFL, learn to read defenses better, and let Jagodzinski create a Matt Ryan type player - since Jagz has proven he can do that and Freeman has the tools to maximize that relationship...might be surprised at what we achieve.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#26 : April 19, 2009, 02:28:41 PM

and here's something for you Gator fans to chew on - Harvin's as much a gamble as Josh Freeman is...

Not even close IMO.

Harvin DOMINATED in college and led his team to two national championships. He was a men amongst boys out there. Percy has measurables AND production.

While I've seen much less of Josh Freeman, I do know he didn't dominate a damn thing. I'm not a fan of drafting on measurables. Draft football players.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 19, 2009, 02:34:34 PM

and Bigg's lining a slash up at different spots to create mismatches in college - is a lot different than trying to learn complicated play concepts and running good routes while reading your QB AND the defense before lining up for the snap...

I've never argued that point, but that's not what you said.  You said Harvin hasn't faced NFL style defenses.  If Harvin hasn't faced NFL style defense, what college kid has?

Harvin can run routes fine.  There will be learning curve with the play concepts and defenses for him in the NFL, just like there will be with any receiver (or player, for that matter) moving from college to NFL.

Freeman has been running NFL pro-sets. He'll need help reading defenses - but who wants him to start this year? We're not desperate. Let him ride the pine, soak up the speed of the NFL, learn to read defenses better, and let Jagodzinski create a Matt Ryan type player - since Jagz has proven he can do that and Freeman has the tools to maximize that relationship...might be surprised at what we achieve.

What tools does Freeman have that McCown doesn't?  Maybe a little stronger arm, but he loses with accuracy.

For every question mark on McCown, Freeman has two, IMO.

#28 : April 19, 2009, 03:23:49 PM

NO to Freeman, YES to Percy!!!

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#29 : April 19, 2009, 03:51:47 PM

I gotta say no to a pothead.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Percy Harvin GAMBLE? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools