Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mocking with McShay [nfc south] « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 16, 2009, 08:13:00 PM

ESPN

Mocking with McShay

April 16, 2009 6:40 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

Todd McShay has his latest first-round mock draft up and he's got some interesting choices for the three NFC South teams (Carolina doesn't have a first-round pick).

Let's break down his choices a bit.

No. 14: New Orleans

McShay's pick: Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State

My thoughts: I'm thinking all this talk about getting a power back is a smoke screen. Yeah, the Saints can use a short-yardage runner, but why use a first-round pick on a role player? I say draft Wells' college teammate, defensive back Malcolm Jenkins and give defensive coordinator Gregg Williams another toy.

No. 19: Tampa Bay

McShay's pick: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi

My thoughts: It's possible, but I don't think Jerry is the big defensive tackle the Bucs are looking for. I could see them going after Georgia Tech defensive end Michael Johnson. But I'm thinking Raheem Morris is a former defensive backs coach. Right now, my guess is cornerback Vontae Davis.

No. 24: Atlanta

McShay's pick: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State

My thoughts: This would make sense for value. But I just don't see the Falcons using their tight end enough in the passing game to justify a first-round pick. I think a linebacker or a defensive tackle are possibilities, but I'm going with Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas -- at least for now.

ALong13

Pro Bowler
#1 : April 16, 2009, 08:24:03 PM

I think he got the other two picks right, but messed up on ours badly...Jerry is small for DT, if he was to gain 10-20 pounds and get up to 300+ maybe, but I see Johnson, English, Harvin, & Davis as the top choices...

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#2 : April 16, 2009, 08:25:59 PM

i really wouldnt be surprised if we drafed Jerry or Johnson.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 16, 2009, 10:24:33 PM

Yasinskas pretty clearly knows a lot more than McShay.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#4 : April 16, 2009, 10:29:01 PM

LOL, I don't understand the analysis.... He picks Jerry, yet he doesn't think we will really take him bc he isn't what we are looking for and we are probably going to take Davis or Johnson and yet he doesn't have either of those guys as our pick over Jerry.

GENIUS!

EDIT: Oops, nvm, that isn't McShay's analysis... makes sense. lol.

Yes Pat is right.

HughC

Pro Bowler

#5 : April 16, 2009, 11:18:33 PM

McShay is usually pretty good, but he's falling under the espn spell where sounding convincing of your opinion is more important than research.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#6 : April 16, 2009, 11:48:20 PM

Vontae Davis scares me. I've heard he's really boom or bust.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 17, 2009, 02:18:00 AM

So if Jerry weighed 310 pounds, he would be valid?

The whole weight concept is funny to me.

I am starting to detest Bates before he has even made a move as a coordinator.  Sick of hearing about his "scheme".  HIs "fatboy" scheme.

He better be able to do some things this year.  Because 320 pound DTs do not grow on trees.  Well, 320 pound DTs that are worth a schlitz, anyway.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 17, 2009, 07:09:26 AM

So if Jerry weighed 310 pounds, he would be valid?

The whole weight concept is funny to me.

I am starting to detest Bates before he has even made a move as a coordinator.  Sick of hearing about his "scheme".  HIs "fatboy" scheme.

He better be able to do some things this year.  Because 320 pound DTs do not grow on trees.  Well, 320 pound DTs that are worth a schlitz, anyway.
If Alan Zemaitis ran a 4.4 instead of 4.6 do you think he may have been a better player? As much as you may not like it measurables are extremely important in the NFL.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 17, 2009, 08:38:00 AM

If the Bucs take a corner, it would be a terrible pick if it's anyone other than Butler.  If Butler is gone, then they shouldn't be taking a corner.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#10 : April 17, 2009, 09:14:22 AM

What happens to these 320-340 lb. DTs in the Florida heat of Training Camp and playing in Tampa in Sept and Oct.???

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 17, 2009, 09:20:19 AM

What happens to these 320-340 lb. DTs in the Florida heat of Training Camp and playing in Tampa in Sept and Oct.???
320-340 lbs is probably a bit of an exaggeration. You don't need to be that big to be a 4-3 anchor. 310 lbs should be enough.

However, perhaps you've heard of this guy who plays a couple hours north and is officially listed at 335 lbs? He seems to do ok.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 17, 2009, 09:38:50 AM

IIRC, Bates didn't do bad in the heat in Miami with his "scheme".

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#13 : April 17, 2009, 09:52:08 AM

I am starting to detest Bates before he has even made a move as a coordinator.  Sick of hearing about his "scheme". HIs "fatboy" scheme.

Yeah thinking the same thing on that one, it worked in Miami but that was a long time ago. For some fans his scheme has become like a rule for looking at prospects but it's not a current successful type of defense really.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 17, 2009, 10:18:51 AM

Man, I don't want to draft a CB out of Illinois.  ..... although I have no other cb suggestion so if he's the man then he's the man. The idea of drafting a CB at that spot doesn't bother me.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mocking with McShay [nfc south] « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools