Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cummings: Freeman widely believed to be on Bucs draft radar « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

calicojack

Starter
: April 19, 2009, 10:07:56 PM

LMAO I know. Who did Gruden "pass" on?

Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn, and Trent Edwards are good starting points.

19 picks, 18 picks and 24 picks later than the players the Bucs took.  Those would all be considered reaches, right?

The Dream Team

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 19, 2009, 02:46:11 AM

Every draft seems to contain at least one quarterback scouts see as a franchise-type player. This year is no exception. Matthew Stafford of Georgia and Mark Sanchez of Southern California are the two stars-in-waiting here, with Josh Freeman of Kansas State a player who could develop into a star.

The Bucs spent a fifth-round pick to get quarterback Josh Johnson last year and seemingly reduced their need to draft another quarterback this year by signing veteran Byron Leftwich to a two-year contract. Still, many experts believe Tampa Bay has a strong interest in Freeman. If so, the Bucs would have an abundance of young quarterbacks with little or no NFL experience.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/apr/17/you-make-pick-quarterback/sports-bucs/

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 19, 2009, 02:53:24 AM

First off, Leftwich is not that good, IMO.  Second, McCown, noted by many, has already lost this QB battle (again), before the "fair" QB battle has begun...I have heard so many say that Leftwich is the obvious choice to be the next Bucs QB.  That he is a proven leader, and has the veteran intangibles that a QB needs, unlike the uproven, youthful men in waiting...

Not that I agree.  But the point is:

Freeman is better off by being drafted as a groomable player, than a guy you toss into the mix.  And Freeman has a boatload of skills, that rival the boatload of skills that the QBs who have seldom played...McCown and Johnson...have already.  It is all speculation, and hope.  We HOPE that McCown can become great.  We HOPE that Johnson can grab the reins.  We HOPE that Freeman wil become franchise...

See what I am saying?

I mean...if you LOVE Percy Harvin, how can you diss Freeman?  One is labeled a bust because of his school.  The other, because of his conference...does that make sense?

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#3 : April 19, 2009, 03:23:34 AM

We arent going to draft Freeman.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 19, 2009, 03:25:27 AM

Thanks for letting us know, Mr. Dominik.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#5 : April 19, 2009, 03:32:46 AM

Have to at least let you guys know who we arnt going to draft. ;) Helps you make your mock drafts more acurate.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 19, 2009, 03:37:50 AM

Have to at least let you guys know who we arnt going to draft. ;) Helps you make your mock drafts more acurate.
Why would we not draft him?

QB is not a problem solved...last I checked, Leftwich is not that good, McCown is a nobody, and Johnson was a 5th round pick.

Why would we draft a WR with the 19th?  Last I saw, Bryant is a stud, and Clayton has the Bucs by the balls (contract).

Why would the BUcs draft a DT?  Is there any that fir Bates system worth a 19th pick?

Why would the Bucs draft a DE?  The three that couldbe targeted are either linebackers, undersized, or have no motor. And we still have Gaines and White.

Freeman is still a VERY VERY VERY viable option man. 

If you know who we ARE going to draft, go ahead and say it Mr. Foresight.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#7 : April 19, 2009, 03:54:16 AM

Oh I know and its for you and everybody else to find out.... and its not Freeman.

buccaneerbruce76

Starter

#8 : April 19, 2009, 07:48:26 AM

McCown will get his shot. Leftwich is strong armed version of Brian Griese, completely immobile and a horrible decision maker. I mean seriously Leftwich has a career completion percentage of under 60 and has a very average 80 QB rating to go along with it. I'll take my chances with McCown over a guy who's proven to be a marginal QB in this league.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 19, 2009, 08:22:44 AM

Since we are picking at #19 and not #1, saying you know who the Bucs will pick at #19 with any certainty is what I'd call a "really, really long reach"  ::). We may want to draft Freeman, or not. If he's not there, we may never really know. OTOH, if he's picked ahead of us and proves to be the next Ryan Leaf with us getting a better player, in later years we could be reading another Mark Dominik story, a la the recent McElroy and Alstott revelation ;D...

JC510

Practice Squad

#10 : April 19, 2009, 08:33:45 AM

Most "experts" have no idea how talented McCown is. They just assume he's a run of the mill career backup with marginal skills.

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 19, 2009, 08:48:18 AM

Most "experts" have no idea how talented McCown is. They just assume he's a run of the mill career backup with marginal skills.

I don't get the hype surrounding a career backup, please enlighten me.  If 'rah and co' draft Freeman I will be all for the move...we need a little hope at the position.

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

jcdoll

Starter

#12 : April 19, 2009, 08:52:17 AM

I would probably hold off til next year where we will have a top 5 pick. However, if we take Freeman I won't be upset at all, at least it shows some direction.  If McClown turns out to be solid then we will just have a Quinn/Anderson situation and we could always trade one of them. 

DailyRich68

Starter
#13 : April 19, 2009, 09:04:39 AM

You don't spend a first round pick on someone who has the "potential" to be"groomed".  Round 1 isn't for projects.

JC510

Practice Squad

#14 : April 19, 2009, 09:10:51 AM

I don't get the hype surrounding a career backup, please enlighten me.  If 'rah and co' draft Freeman I will be all for the move...we need a little hope at the position.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804c178f

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80563445

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d805a044a

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f564e

And there's no chance they take Freeman. Not even 1%.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cummings: Freeman widely believed to be on Bucs draft radar « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools