Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Things you learn on the web.... « previous next »
Page: 1

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: April 22, 2009, 09:06:09 AM

I was reading about a child who accidentally shot himself in the head with his mother's pistol. The source was CNN Miami and it gave the location as Pinellas County near St. Petersburg. I can only conclude that the reporter just recently arrived in this country, or is related to Sarah Palin.

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#1 : April 22, 2009, 10:14:31 AM

I learned about a hero that was a Marine Sniper and was honored by the local government there: http://www.crowleytoday.com/content/louisiana-soldier-recalls-10-years-marine

A few excerpts from the article...

By Howell Dennis
NEWS EDITOR

CROWLEY – “Please don’t over-glorify anything I’ve done,” said Shane Reed, a veteran of 10 years with the United States Marine Corps who eventually became the leader of a sniper platoon and also did some work for some private security firms overseas. “I’m just a redneck who knows how to shoot a rifle.”

For example there was the time he was in Chechnya, and one of his squad members was killed.
“A National Guardsman from Pennsylvania was killed and we basically had no idea where the shot came from,” said Reed.
“We were wearing night vision goggles which can pick up a flash of light from over a mile away,” he continued. “We continued our search for the shooter when I noticed a man who lit a cigarette probably over a mile away. You know how they say smoking can kill you right? We fired a few shots his way, I’d say probably about 10,000 to 15,000 rounds, and we got him.”
“Let’s just say I think he was a little bit heavier when we went to pick him up,” he said with a chuckle.
Another amazing story came from when he was deployed to Afghanistan where he arrived eight days after September 11, 2001.
“We were walking in a small valley between some mountains and I had point,” said Reed, who at that point was a Marine Sniper Platoon Commander. “We had our night vision goggles again and suddenly . . . . well, the best way I can describe it is that the mountains looked like they actually became alive due to all of the movement around us.”

“We backtracked slowly and found that there were two sentries that were standing guard and we took them out,” he said. “Then I called in an airstrike.”
The airstrike Reed called in was responsible for the deaths of over 3,000 enemy soldiers.

--

Since the newspaper wrote it, it must be true!

10 points to the person that picks out 5 things that might not quite mesh in that short little excerpt!

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 22, 2009, 11:12:44 AM

"10 points to the person that picks out 5 things that might not quite mesh in that short little excerpt!"

1. When were the US Marines every in Chechnya?
2. When are Guardsmen ever in the same units as Marines?
3 When were Guardsmen every in Chechnya?
4 10,000-15,000 rounds would weigh over 1000lbs, were they right next to an ammo train?
5. The "War" in Afghanistan did not start until Oct. 7th and ground forces didn't arrive until much later, but he was there 8 days after 9/11?

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#3 : April 22, 2009, 01:35:39 PM

Galt get's 10 points...

1. Is soooo obvious!
4. No kidding, and to hit a person from over a mile away they would have to have used a 50.cal.

I want to see a) Snipers walking point b) The Platoon Commander walking point. 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 22, 2009, 02:38:02 PM

And since when does a Marine Riflemen let alone a sniper need more than 2 rounds for 1 guy?

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#5 : April 22, 2009, 02:41:53 PM

And when did they kill 3,000 guys in one airstrike?   Where they all at a goat race holding hands and sing kumbaya?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 22, 2009, 03:05:27 PM

And when did they kill 3,000 guys in one airstrike?   Where they all at a goat race holding hands and sing kumbaya?

About 6,500 insurgents and Taliban soldiers were killed in 2001, I guess half in one airstrike.

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#7 : April 22, 2009, 03:14:48 PM

Which never made the news eight days after 9/11.... lol

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 22, 2009, 04:24:31 PM

Other things you learn on the interweb:

Skilled surgeons are roaming the streets stealing kidneys

Cell phones cause brain cancer

Cell phones cause car fires

Cell phones are killing all the bees

The interweb hates cell phones.

Trees can grow in people's lungs

Singer Sewing machines contain Red mercury and can be used to make nuclear weapons

Proctor & Gamble in league with Satan

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 22, 2009, 11:03:37 PM

or is related to Sarah Palin.
Is that a shot at Palin?

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Things you learn on the web.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools