Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Byron Leftwich = Bucs starter for 2009? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

buccaneerbruce76

Starter

#45 : April 22, 2009, 01:50:44 AM

I was sick to think McCown was our starting QB. I'm interested in seeing Leftwich on a Bucs team w/ good RBs, WRs, OL. He brings leadership that we don't get from McCown and Griese.

How do you know McCown doesn't bring leadership...? He's never been given a chance to lead. Byron Leftwich has a slow delivery and has absolutely no mobility, he was being courted by teams to be a backup cause that's what is. It's just funny to hear people talk about what McCown doesn't have and how he isn't a starting QB but they promote a guy who has a career completion % of under 60 and a very average career QB rating.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 22, 2009, 09:05:47 AM

It's just funny to hear people talk about what McCown doesn't have and how he isn't a starting QB but they promote a guy who has a career completion % of under 60 and a very average career QB rating.

McCown's is under 60 percent as well. And it was the same in college, too -- under 60%. So it isn't like we can point to his college completion percentage and use that as a point to build on.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#47 : April 22, 2009, 09:31:27 AM

McCown's is under 60 percent as well. And it was the same in college, too -- under 60%. So it isn't like we can point to his college completion percentage and use that as a point to build on.

while we cant look at his college stats, we can look to his NFL completion percentage as something to build on...in his first NFL year with an average of 4 games he completed 49% at 6.2 ypa for a rating of 53.  in his 4 NFL (with no more game experience) he completed 68% at 7.3 ypa and a rating of 92.  id say that's a pretty good point to build on.  the sacks did not change.  the question (which i really dont think any of us can answer) is why are the sacks coming?  does he not realize how much time he has?  is he trying to scramble to much?  is he waiting for the big play rather than checking down early?

and can those things be worked on?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JC510

Practice Squad

#48 : April 22, 2009, 10:23:05 AM

McCown's cumulative stats as a Buc. 50% of attempts were in pre-season, other 50% in regular season.

189 for 280 (68%), 1969 yards (7.03 YPA), 13 TDs/ 7 INTs, 93 QB rating
29 rushes, 254 yards, 8.8 yards per rush.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#49 : April 22, 2009, 10:33:55 AM

Pre-season stats are virtually worthless.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#50 : April 22, 2009, 10:54:36 AM

Exactly, he's playing the 3rd and what in reality might be 4th stringers a lot of the time and he's playing those guys, and anyone else, vs plain vanilla defenses.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

SpeedyClaxton

Starter

#51 : April 22, 2009, 10:55:02 AM

Luke McCown is not a starter in this league...

What's the reason? Arm too strong? Too accurate? Too fast?

Nah heres why: He's 1-6 as a starter. He checks down a lot. He holds the ball for too long. He seems like one of those QB's that would tear it up in practice but never perform come gametime. The coaching staff obviously isn't as high on him as some of us on Pewter Report are.

We shut down \\\\\\\" The Vet\\\\\\\" and we opened up Lincoln Financial with a bang!!!!

JC510

Practice Squad

#52 : April 22, 2009, 11:09:11 AM

Exactly, he's playing the 3rd and what in reality might be 4th stringers a lot of the time and he's playing those guys, and anyone else, vs plain vanilla defenses.

But his regular stats are almost identical. Is that some sort of fluke?

JC510

Practice Squad

#53 : April 22, 2009, 11:10:34 AM

Luke McCown is not a starter in this league...

What's the reason? Arm too strong? Too accurate? Too fast?

Nah heres why: He's 1-6 as a starter. He checks down a lot. He holds the ball for too long. He seems like one of those QB's that would tear it up in practice but never perform come gametime. The coaching staff obviously isn't as high on him as some of us on Pewter Report are.

Except he had a 100.6 rating in his 3 starts in 2007 and threw TD passes down 3 and down 8 in the final minutes of games.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#54 : April 22, 2009, 12:01:55 PM

Keep in mind that relative to the defenses the played he didn't even perform at an average level. In relative valuation he was ranked in the Kyle Boller-
AJ Feeley range of players for his efforts. You look at his game logs and you see a lot, a of pass short (direction) and realize why his comp% was so high. For all his athletic ability, he didn't get the ball downfield. His 3rd down conversion rate was way off the season average once you took his games out (41% vs 33%). He was sacked way too often. He threw a INT for a TD got sacked for  safety. All that while playing defenses ranked 32, 28, 29, 19 versus the pass.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#55 : April 22, 2009, 12:30:45 PM

In relative valuation he was ranked in the Kyle Boller - AJ Feeley range of players for his efforts.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, if he can improve with playing time.  If he continues to play at the same level after a significant number of games as a starter then you can put him in the lifetime backup category.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#56 : April 22, 2009, 12:41:19 PM

Byron will not be the starter

JOSH JOHNSON WILL BE THE STARTER

orrrrrr......Tyler Thigpen

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#57 : April 22, 2009, 02:16:34 PM

Keep in mind that relative to the defenses the played he didn't even perform at an average level. In relative valuation he was ranked in the Kyle Boller-
AJ Feeley range of players for his efforts. You look at his game logs and you see a lot, a of pass short (direction) and realize why his comp% was so high. For all his athletic ability, he didn't get the ball downfield. His 3rd down conversion rate was way off the season average once you took his games out (41% vs 33%). He was sacked way too often. He threw a INT for a TD got sacked for  safety. All that while playing defenses ranked 32, 28, 29, 19 versus the pass.

Sometimes it's a cause/effect relationship. Maybe those teams ranked poorly against the pass because they were playing against better than average passers (including possibly McCown). For instance, the Bucs were ranked in the top 5 defensively for the majority of the season last year but ended up ranked in the lower half of the league against the rush. Why? Because they were playing teams that were in the upper echelon of rushing (Atlanta 2nd, Carolina 3rd, Oakland 10th) during the latter part of the season).

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#58 : April 22, 2009, 02:28:05 PM

I'm really not sure why a guy taking a sack is "stupid". The only stupid point is that claim.

When you take a sack because you can not process the information fast enough to make a decision...well you tell me what you call it. Again, the only guy that has ever come through here getting sacked like LM is RobJohn and he's a historically stupid version of a QB.

I know Luke is slow on the process, but he's no Robosack (Rob Johnson). Come on...no way. Perhaps Gruden's offense was just too complicated for Luke...it was too complicated at first for Brad Johnson, too...caused a lot of sacks in the early going - but with experience he got better and was a well-oiled machine come playoff time.

Maybe with Jags' more simplified scheme - the processing will be a lot faster for Luke and he'll be a more effective QB.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#59 : April 22, 2009, 03:03:00 PM

I'm really not sure why a guy taking a sack is "stupid". The only stupid point is that claim.

When you take a sack because you can not process the information fast enough to make a decision...well you tell me what you call it. Again, the only guy that has ever come through here getting sacked like LM is RobJohn and he's a historically stupid version of a QB.

I know Luke is slow on the process, but he's no Robosack (Rob Johnson). Come on...no way. Perhaps Gruden's offense was just too complicated for Luke...it was too complicated at first for Brad Johnson, too...caused a lot of sacks in the early going - but with experience he got better and was a well-oiled machine come playoff time.

Maybe with Jags' more simplified scheme - the processing will be a lot faster for Luke and he'll be a more effective QB.

I would think that looking for one or two receivers running down the field would be easier than trying to follow 5 receivers all running crossing routes 3 yards past the line of scrimmage in traffic ala Gruden.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Byron Leftwich = Bucs starter for 2009? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools