Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After Stafford and Sanchez, Josh Freeman May Surprise « previous next »
Page: 1

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: April 26, 2009, 09:53:00 AM

A couple of opinions here, before yesterday...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-04-22-usat-quarterbacks_N.htm

After Stafford and Sanchez, Josh Freeman may surprise
By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY

USA TODAY analyzes the quarterbacks available in the April 25-26 NFL draft. Also in this article: Cream of the crop among quarterbacks and teams in need.

When Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman announced that he would enter the NFL draft after his junior season, he was viewed as a second-round choice.

Not any more.

The longer teams scrutinized the strong-armed 6-6, 248-pound passer on film and during workouts, the more impressed they appeared to be. The more they got to know him as a person, the more they seemed convinced that he deserved to climb the draft board.

Virtually every mock draft now has Freeman going in the opening round after fellow juniors Matthew Stafford of Georgia and Mark Sanchez of USC. One question remains: How high is high?

"I think he's an outstanding football player. I put him in my top 10 ahead of Sanchez," said NFL.com's Gil Brandt, a highly regarded talent evaluator when he was with the Dallas Cowboys. "I think he has tremendous upside."

Charles Davis, an analyst for NFL Network, shares Brandt's enthusiasm.

"Love him," Davis says of Freeman. "It's funny how his stock is climbing. When we first started this process, he was maybe a second-rounder."

Freeman started all 12 games last season for Kansas State, completing 224 of 382 passes (58.6%) for 2,945 yards and 20 touchdowns with eight interceptions. He is a weapon whenever he elects to run. He carried 118 times for another 412 yards and five scores.

With all team's focused on drafting pass-rushing ends, fast outside linebackers and blitzing cornerbacks, finding mobile quarterbacks is a must.

"I think they like the size and that I'm a big quarterback but also that I have some mobility to my game and athleticism," says Freeman, adding, "A lot of people assume that a 6-6 guy is going to be a big ol' lumbering type guy."

NFL teams have come to know better, especially new Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris. He was Kansas State's defensive coordinator in 2006.

"I know Josh Freeman really well. I was with him for a year," Morris says. "Absolute specimen to look at, physical, tall, big arm, deceptively quick."

Morris compares him to the young quarterback who has used his arm and his legs to lead the Pittsburgh Steelers to two Super Bowl triumphs in five years.

"He's got that Ben Roethlisberger effect where he's hard to tackle once you get back there," Morris says.

Some also have compared Freeman to the Detroit Lions' Daunte Culpepper, who starred for the Minnesota Vikings before suffering a devastating knee injury.

"I don't know if he's a Daunte Culpepper type because Daunte was a big-armed thrower down the field," Morris says. "This kid has a lot of touch as well. He can drop a flare or a screen as well as a 27-yard comeback."

Brandt is not at all discouraged by Freeman's 14-18 record at Kansas State, noting a lack of talent in the offensive line and other key areas. He rates him ahead of Sanchez at this stage of their development, partly because he played in twice as many games as Sanchez's 16.

"I see things that say he's going to be a successful quarterback," Brandt says of Freeman. "He has a very good arm, good athletic ability, and he has very good mental quickness. He always adjusts quickly to different things.

"That doesn't always mean it's going to work out, but the battle is halfway won."

The NFL is so convinced Freeman will be prominent when the name-calling begins on Saturday that he was among the top prospects invited to New York. The New York Jets, picking 17th, may be a perfect fit as they move on after Brett Favre's one-year stay. Otherwise, Morris and the Bucs may be waiting two slots later.

Wherever Freeman goes, fans will welcome his determination to raise his play to ever-greater heights.

"Your game," he says, "is never where you want it to be."

The Q

Pro Bowler

#1 : April 26, 2009, 09:56:11 AM

MAY is a lot like IF and BUT.....We'll see, and let's hope the BUCS fans don't suffer.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 26, 2009, 09:57:16 AM

http://www.eldoradotimes.com/sports/x718266891/K-State-s-Freeman-may-be-surprise-of-2009-quarterbacks-in-NFL-draft

“From a pure talent perspective,” said Rams vice president of player personnel Tony Softli, “Freeman is as gifted as any of them.”

“I think he will be the best of this class when we look back in three years,” said one college scouting director not in the market for a passer. “He’s a football guy in and out between the ears. He has prototype size. He can move around the pocket and make all the throws.”

“He had nothing around him — no line, no receivers, to tight ends, no running backs — and he still beat Texas,” a general manager said. “To us, he has the best arm strength in this class, better than Stafford’s.”

Other evaluators think Freeman will have to sit a year before he is ready, and they shake their heads at the Ben Roethlisberger comparisons some observers have bestowed on Freeman.

“If teams have not learned their lesson from JaMarcus Russell and Jason Campbell, then that’s their problem,” another scouting director said. “But he is going to take some time.”

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 26, 2009, 09:58:14 AM

I'm excited about it.  Nervous as well.  But I've been waiting a long time for a pick like this.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 26, 2009, 09:58:42 AM

MAY is a lot like IF and BUT.....We'll see, and let's hope the BUCS fans don't suffer.

EVERY player picked yesterday comes with the "let's wait and see" tag. Nothing new there.

noopy2237

Starter
#5 : April 26, 2009, 09:58:47 AM

They were right about Freeman going 17.  

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#6 : April 26, 2009, 10:02:11 AM

Ehhh who cares what Gil brandt says. Chronichotair, Java and the rest of the whimpering agenda serving turds already calling him a bust know MUCH more about QB's than Gil Brandt and Charles Davis....

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After Stafford and Sanchez, Josh Freeman May Surprise « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools