Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your first rounder « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

: April 26, 2009, 10:41:54 PM

I would not have traded up but just waited to see if Freeman is there at 19 if not go with someone like Maclin.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 26, 2009, 01:23:33 PM

A lot of criticism around here about our first pick. I was pretty disappointed. He's our guy now. Gotta get behind him.

Unhappy with Freeman? Let's be constructive about this. What would you have done different?

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 26, 2009, 01:26:40 PM

I personally would have taken one of the big name receivers left(Harvin)

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#3 : April 26, 2009, 01:28:07 PM

I wouldn't have done a single thing differently. I've watched this team in the last 6 years under Gruden start Brad Johnson, Chris Simms, Luke McCown, Brian Griese, Bruce Gradkowski, and Jeff Garcia.

The result of that was a sub .500 record and no playoff wins. Taking a QB wont cure everything automatically, but at least we see that this truly is a new regime and things are going back to the way they should be, and thats building for the long haul.

Dominico

Starter

#4 : April 26, 2009, 01:30:06 PM

Maclin

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 26, 2009, 01:32:45 PM

I wouldn't have done a single thing differently. I've watched this team in the last 6 years under Gruden start Brad Johnson, Chris Simms, Luke McCown, Brian Griese, Bruce Gradkowski, and Jeff Garcia.

The result of that was a sub .500 record and no playoff wins. Taking a QB wont cure everything automatically, but at least we see that this truly is a new regime and things are going back to the way they should be, and thats building for the long haul.
i agree.  plus this team under Gruden was never built for the long haul

#6 : April 26, 2009, 01:33:16 PM

I'd consider possibly one of the LBs, DL, or OTs that was still on the board, but QB was just as much of a concern and I know that when there is a regime change there usually is a year or two of work to be done to turn things back around.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 26, 2009, 01:43:55 PM

I was really hoping that they'd trade back and acquire more picks... Can't blame them if there were no willing partners.

Next, I was hoping they'd go Defense. Either CB or DE.    Either the values were not there at 19, or they were set on Freeman.

I guess if drafting a "franchise" qb was a must, better to get it over with now

jsalata

Practice Squad

#8 : April 26, 2009, 01:45:10 PM

I know a lot of fans are dissapointed with Freeman but I think Roy Miller will be a good DT that we got in round 3. If you draft Peria Jerry in the 1st you cant get Freeman in the 3rd. So I would say they did ok if you look at the first two picks. DT and QB were our two biggest needs and we addressed both. Hopefully we can lock down a CB in the 5th and this will be a fairly productive draft.

obuc

Starter

#9 : April 26, 2009, 02:04:09 PM

getting a good QB is a shot in the dark really, even the Pats taking pretty boy in the 6th was a stroke of luck and coaching, they didnt see him that good or they would have grabbed him earlier. So that said, you just pick a QB until you hit the target then you pay him. They have to try. If Johnson develop, then great, we might have a good problem on our hand and trade bait.

The one thing about a QB who physically has it all is that journeyman or not he has some value n the team and some trade value. But we have to try, their feeling is nooneon the team can do it so you make your pick and keep trying.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 26, 2009, 02:06:13 PM

getting a good QB is a shot in the dark really, even the Pats taking pretty boy in the 6th was a stroke of luck and coaching, they didnt see him that good or they would have grabbed him earlier. So that said, you just pick a QB until you hit the target then you pay him. They have to try. If Johnson develop, then great, we might have a good problem on our hand and trade bait.

The one thing about a QB who physically has it all is that journeyman or not he has some value n the team and some trade value. But we have to try, their feeling is nooneon the team can do it so you make your pick and keep trying.

The best post I've read all day

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 26, 2009, 02:32:05 PM

Personally, this is the first draft I've been happy with in awhile. It looks as if we drafted for quality, not quantity. Besides, traditionally the best DL/DT/DE'S come in the second or third anyhow. Last year was "ok" and we did get a good defensive player out of it. However, this year we drafted one "skill" position, and the rest out of need. That could hurt us later on, but for now we have 5 different styles of QB's to pick though. All of them bring something different to the table. Now it's up to RM to figure out who's starting. One thing is for sure, with his height there should be none of this "finding a lane" crap like we witnessed with Garcia/Simms/Grad/etc.

My thinking is that BG is out, and JJ hits P-squad. The line-up will probably form like this: Freeman, BL, and LM (I get the feeling LM won't get a fair shake).

This is what we got with three picks.. I don't think it's all that bad myself. If Freeman was there when our pick would've came up, I would've picked him as well. (Well, him or Harvin...would have flipped a coin.)

1. QB- Freeman
2. TE- Kellen Winslow
3. DE- R. Miller

Anyone else get the feeling that we are still going to buy up some more FA's?

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 26, 2009, 08:47:29 PM

I had imagined that with all of the complaining, that there would be an equal amount of alternative proposals..

I guess that whining just feels good.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 26, 2009, 08:48:46 PM

I personally would have taken one of the big name receivers left(Harvin)

Thats why your not a GM

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 26, 2009, 08:52:15 PM

If the level of disappointment is this high for some who'd rather have Percy instead, that

only reaffirms my acceptance of picking up Josh.

-This is a different mindset. It's not about trying to patch up the team every year. We all became so accustomed

to that, that now we're all freaking out over taking the plunge. -A necessary plunge

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your first rounder « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools