Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson vs. Pat White « previous next »
Page: 1

Larry Brackins

Starter
: April 26, 2009, 09:59:38 PM

With the seleciton of Josh Freeman in the first round, it seems clear that Josh Johnson isn't seen as the QB of the future by the new regime. Pat White was drafted in the 2nd round by the Dolphins, and it's doubtful he will ever be an every down QB. He'll likely run the wildcat a few times a game and play in the slot at WR. I'm going to throw level of competition and stats out the window because neither of them we'll be playing a true QB, so I want to look at their athletic abilities alone.

Here are their combine numbers

Josh Johnson:
Height: 6'3
Weight: 213 pounds
40: 4.55
Vertical: 33.5
Broad Jump: 09'02"
Shuttle: 4.42
3-cone drill: 7.56

Pat White:
Height: 6'
Weight: 197 pounds
Vertical: 35
Broad Jump: 9'9"
3-cone drill: 7.06

So, looking at their numbers, shouldn't Josh Johnson get a similar opprotunity that Pat White is getting? I think he's too much of an athlete to just cut if he's not going to be the QB.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 26, 2009, 10:12:51 PM

I think the level of competition is what sets them apart. 
Pat single-handedly beat some pretty good teams  Who did SDSt. ever play?

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#2 : April 26, 2009, 10:15:53 PM

Pat White also ran the ball much more in College than JJ did. White has the ability to run like a back. I don't know if JJ has that, but I hopefully they can give it a try.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 26, 2009, 10:21:36 PM

I think Pat White has a better deep ball and is more of a threat as a playmaker on the run. He'll be a weapon in the wildcat.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#4 : April 27, 2009, 12:31:33 AM

With the seleciton of Josh Freeman in the first round, it seems clear that Josh Johnson isn't seen as the QB of the future by the new regime. Pat White was drafted in the 2nd round by the Dolphins, and it's doubtful he will ever be an every down QB. He'll likely run the wildcat a few times a game and play in the slot at WR. I'm going to throw level of competition and stats out the window because neither of them we'll be playing a true QB, so I want to look at their athletic abilities alone.

Here are their combine numbers

Josh Johnson:
Height: 6'3
Weight: 213 pounds
Vertical: 33.5
Broad Jump: 09'02"
3-cone drill: 7.56

Pat White:
Height: 6'
Weight: 197 pounds
Vertical: 35
Broad Jump: 9'9"
3-cone drill: 7.06

So, looking at their numbers, shouldn't Josh Johnson get a similar opprotunity that Pat White is getting? I think he's too much of an athlete to just cut if he's not going to be the QB.

If we decide to run a gimmick offense like the wildcat then I am sure JJ would be great.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 27, 2009, 12:48:06 AM

I like JJ but could not hold Pat's jock strap.

fo sho G.  If Josh had to hold Pat's jock you'd be out of a job.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 27, 2009, 01:54:36 AM

So you are saying Chaz has bigger balls than Pat White, but JJ has tiny balls?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 27, 2009, 09:19:29 AM

I see many similarities in both of these players as well.

White definitely has the edge in experience against tougher competition, but Johnson has the edge in height and weight, so theoretically could take more of a beating.  Arm, accuracy, and intangibles seem similar.

I don't see either excelling as full-time starters in the league, but both could produce in a gimmick offense.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 27, 2009, 09:24:41 AM

Did Johnson actually play in a gimmick offense in college? I thought Harbaugh had a pretty NFL-style passing offense.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 27, 2009, 09:31:35 AM

I'm not saying Johnson played in a gimmick offense in college.  He definitely played in a more Pro-Style offense than White did, but against lesser competition.  There are question marks as to if he can do it in the NFL, much like White.  They both will have quite a learning curve in the NFL.

If I had to choose one to roll with in the NFL, I would rather go with Johnson.  I don't think White's frame could handle the beating.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 27, 2009, 09:39:02 AM

I'm not saying Johnson played in a gimmick offense in college.  He definitely played in a more Pro-Style offense than White did, but against lesser competition.  There are question marks as to if he can do it in the NFL, much like White.  They both will have quite a learning curve in the NFL.

If I had to choose one to roll with in the NFL, I would rather go with Johnson.  I don't think White's frame could handle the beating.
I'm just saying that while Johnson may have a few measurements that may make you think he can run the wildcat, he may be another Chris Leak-type quarterback whose athleticism doesn't translate to the football field. We know White's game translates to those kind of plays, just not necessarily at the NFL level.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 27, 2009, 09:47:12 AM

I wouldn't classify Johnson with Leak-type athleticism on the field.  He compares to Leak by looking to throw before run, which I don't know if that can be said about White.

Were you able to watch Johnson in the East/West Shrine game his Senior season?  He rushed 3 times for 91 yards.  Johnson can make plays big with his feet when the play breaks down.  But, I wouldn't call Johnson a running QB, while I would call White a running QB.

Johnson also displayed a high football IQ in that East/West Shrine game.  That's the only actual game of his I got to watch and it was impressive.  It was exciting when they drafted him in the 5th to see if he could make the adjustments to the NFL.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 27, 2009, 09:51:46 AM

I'll take your word for it.

AcuraT

Starter

#13 : April 27, 2009, 10:02:21 AM

I think the situtation is while the Dolphins throw a lot of short passes to take advantage of Chad Pennington's accuracy and realtiavely weak arm, the Bucs are planning to have a long-ball offense with the ability to pound the ball on the ground in a running first attack.  That does not fit the ability of Josh Johnson all that well.  Josh is more suited to the west coast offense that Gruden liked to run - scrambling rollouts and short out-passes.  Now that the team has done away with that offense, his role is very questionable in Tampa.  McCown with his arm strength, Leftwich with a good arm, and Freedman (of course) fit the strrong arm mold.  The same issue is for Griese as I imagine his time is very short in Tampa now.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 27, 2009, 10:28:10 AM

So you are saying Chaz has bigger balls than Pat White, but JJ has tiny balls?

My god....go back to becoming the biggest idiot on the board with your anti morris crusade.   [banghead]  You're clueless.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson vs. Pat White « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools